Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UmbraEmsi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,671
Message 1 of 6

Added an SSD Pcie NVMe to my Yoga 520 and AHCI

hi, 

so my yoga 520 (originally shipped with only a HDD) allowed me to add an m2 SSD pcie NVMe; so i did add one,

However on the BIOS i must set the controller to AHCI (it is intel RST by default) so my SSD can be detected by Windows as a drive; if not i couldn't make it my system drive. 

After some reading on the forum, i saw that it seems to be a mandatory option for my SDD to work as intended, right or wrong?

or there is a way to shift to RST and if yes? what are the benefits of RST over AHCI?

Sygurd
What's DOS?
Views: 1,286
Message 2 of 6

Re: Added an SSD Pcie NVMe to my Yoga 520 and AHCI

Hi, I have the same problem, you can solve?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,280
Message 3 of 6

If you're installing from Microsoft media you probably need the iRST driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27400/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interf...

Look down the left column and find the link to f6flpy-x64.zip.  Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder on your install media or to another flash drive.

When you get to the part of the install where you can't find the target drive use the "load driver" option and browse to that folder.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Sygurd
What's DOS?
Views: 1,276
Message 4 of 6

Thank you, What is the purpose of installing this driver?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,274
Message 5 of 6

@Sygurd wrote:

Thank you, What is the purpose of installing this driver?

It's necessary to allow Windows to access the SSD when it's in RAID (RST) mode.  It isn't included in the "clean" Microsoft installer.  It is present in Lenovo media.  Without it AHCI mode must be used or the drive is "invisible" to Windows.

...If I'm right about what's going on.  I don't have personal experience with this model.  That BIOS has both AHCI and RAID options suggests that this is what's going on.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Sygurd
What's DOS?
Views: 1,267
Message 6 of 6

I made the configuration of the SSD M2 PCIe NVMe disk without that driver, finally I had to reinstall when I could not change Windows to AHCI mode. Currently I do not have the best performance in CristalDiskMark at 4K, I do not know what the error or problem is.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors