cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
notKorey
What's DOS?
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-29-2019
Location: US
Views: 83
Message 1 of 3

Advanced motherboard question

I found this Yoga 2 just collecting dust in my workshop, it would not power on or show any signs of life

 

I thought perhaps the charger could be bad so I used a friends who has a different model of the thinkpad yoga. connected it but nothing happened. So I took out the battery, pressed power for 1 sec x10 then held for 30 sec. During this time there was a spark on the motherboard

 

After I took my finger off the power the power led was blinking orange. I immediatley unplugged the charger my co-worker lent to me

 

Out of curiousity I plugged the original charger back in and seemed ok. Eventually the orange turned white and I was able to power on... it ran smooth with no issues

 

I started using it and noticed a burning smell so I took it apart, verified fans worked. I tried to run diagnostic but the fans test was grayed out (sounds like a common thing with lenovo)

 

I took apart the motherboard and eventually found where it happened. When I pulled out the mobo undernear where the bottom of the keyboard is I found the spot where it shorted out. It was the spot where the square metal peice was touching

 

Question is... what is that square piece exactly? I'm trying to figure if its safe to use, replace or just junk the whole laptop

 

Pictures for referenceIMG_20190529_150650.pngIMG_20190529_150712.pngIMG_20190529_150730.png

notKorey
What's DOS?
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎05-29-2019
Location: US
Views: 79
Message 2 of 3

Re: Advanced motherboard question

I was told this part was the power regulator. Though I am not sure if that is still safe after sparking like that

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Posts: 173
Registered: ‎09-06-2018
Location: PH
Views: 48
Message 3 of 3

Re: Advanced motherboard question

Hello notKorey! 

 

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Forums. That is called the voltage regulator module which may have been shorted. To know more about Handling ESD: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht105604

 

There is always potential for damage, a discharge via short is entirely possible.

 

Hassen_Lenovo



Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors