cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 661
Message 1 of 4

Are the surface of the C930 (both glass and non-glass models) easy to get scratches and broken?

Hi, I am a bit OCD so I wonder if the surface is easy to be scratched. If I get the glass model, will it break easily? For both glass and non-glass versions, can the case be replaced if they are broken or scratched over time?

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 610
Message 2 of 4

Re: Are the surface of the C930 (both glass and non-glass models) easy to get scratches and broken?

There are a couple of answers for this question.

1. This is an elite laptop...so the components are high end. Many manufacturers are now using plastic for their cases which do not protect the unit well. The casing on the C930 is metal and does protect the computer much better than the plastic casings.
2. The ease of scratching really is determined by two things: A. What you are using the computer for and B. How careful you are with the unit. If a college kid is throwing it into a back pack with a bunch of other stuff...it WILL get scratched and banged up. If you are taking it to work in a laptop case briefcase, it will not.

That said, I use a vinyl decal that is made to fit this exact computer. I had the Yoga 730 at the time and it got a 3 inch deep scratch when my son put it on the floor and a piece of furniture scraped it. Seeing exactly what happened, I was sure the front case was badly scratched underneath the vinyl. It was NOT. The case was in mint condition.

Secondly, there is a company called iPearl/mCover that makes hard shells to put on your computer. Had I ordered one like my daughter told me to, my Yoga 900's screen would not be cracked from an electric chair shutting down. Despite no protection at all, the screen still worked with a 3 inch section on the right not working in touch screen.

Because the C930 is so new, they do not make the hard shells yet. It usually comes out about 6 months after the release of the computer. But, the decals (a shop called Decals R Us, does sell the vinyl. If you get the glass, you won't want to cover it with vinyl though. I figure, however, that this computer is an investment and needs as much protection as I can give it.

It's a great computer with an excellent build and well worth the $.

One last thing--I buy a computer cleaner from Best Buy called "Insignia Screen Cleaner." I know window cleaner will work, but both my son and I think it does a better job with no streaking.
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 605
Message 3 of 4

Re: Are the surface of the C930 (both glass and non-glass models) easy to get scratches and broken?

Thanks. I am trying to decide which model to get.

Usually I put my laptop in a computer case and take good care of it. However, incidents do happen. I am also OCD and do not like to see even a small scratch on my machine. I guess vinyl decal would be good to cover up the scratched case surface. I wonder if there will be hard case since it may prevent the laptop to turn into a tablet mode.

Do you use the cleaner to clean the screen or the case and palm rest area?

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 596
Message 4 of 4

I use it for everything on my computer. It really looks great.

I too, do NOT like scratches on my computer. There were none on my 900 when I gifted it to a friend...and I had no protection on that computer at that time.

I must be honest, I didn't want to put the vinyl on this computer because it's really a beautiful laptop. But, I just didn't want to chance it. If they come out with the hard cover, I'll probably take the vinyl off.

Also, the computer still works well with the hard cover on and in tablet mode.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors