08-13-2014

US

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

• Views: 1427
  • Message 1 of 4

Automatic Repair on Yoga 2 13

2015-01-14, 3:28 AM

Yoga 2 13 was plugged into AC adapter, left on with a spreadsheet open while I went for dinner.  I returned to find it on a screen saying Automatic Repair had failed.  I rebooted and it went to a lenovo logo screen saying Automatic Repair was starting, then it looped back to the same error message.

I went into the Bios and discovered the order of my boot devices had been rearranged (this machine contains an SSD containing the OS and a hydrid HDD for data storage). I put the SSD back at the top of the list and the machine rebooted into Windows 8 normally.

Now I need to investigate what happened while I was away. Was this a Lenovo hardware failure that caused the machine to reboot with the boot order reset to defaults?  Or was it a Windows issue (but I can't understand how that would affect Bios settings)?

FWIW I have Windows Update set to NOT automatically install any updates behind my back so it should not have been caused by automatic Windows updates. 

Options

43 Posts

08-13-2014

US

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: Automatic Repair on Yoga 2 13

2015-06-04, 21:54 PM

So 5 months later I just experienced this again. This time I decided the SSD drive might be "disappearing", only to be re-added to the bottom of the boot priority list when it gets re-detected.

I spoke with tech support at Crucial who advised me to go into Control Panel->Power Options->Change Plan Settings->Advanced->Hard Disk and change the setting to "Turn Off Hard Disk After..." to "Never". It's worth noting that the plans in Lenovo's own Energy Manager had the disk turning off after 20 minutes when plugged in, 10 minutes on battery, which I'm told is a problem for SSDs.

There's also a firmware update for the M550 as well as some other Crucial SSDs. And Crucial finally made a software toolkit for their SSDs called the Storage Executive that can be downloaded from their website.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to update the firmware via the Storage Executive, I had to manually download the ISO file, create a bootable USB drive per Crucial's instructions, disable Secure boot, put everything into Legacy mode, and disable Win 8 optimization in the exit screen of the Yoga's BIOS menu, and even then I had trouble booting from the thumb drive. I had to try again with a different USB drive and finally managed to update the SSD firmware, so we'll see if these changes solve the problem.  It might take a while to find out though, since there were already 5 months between occurances.

Options

90 Posts

03-17-2015

UK

167 Signins

1350 Page Views

• Views: 1350
  • Message 3 of 4

2015-06-04, 23:43 PM

Firstly, the power saving is useful with SSDs so that is a work-around. Crucial SSDs have been particularly sensitive to any slight imperfection in the data transfer and can drop off the radar for that reason, particularly but not always during a power state transition, which is the second trigger for these events. The firmware update makes these drives more resilient in both those regards.

I recommend that you re-enable the power saving settings and see how the new firmware goes. If you get the problem again, then try the power settings. Test one thing at a time.

Options

43 Posts

08-13-2014

US

279 Signins

1427 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2015-06-05, 1:49 AM

I did find myself questioning the power saving solution. After all, the power plan calls for the drive to power down after 20 minutes and it was 5 months between occurrances, so it seemed rather doubtful that was the real trigger.

I'll try your suggestion of restoring the previous power management setting and see if the firmware update alone was enough to solve it. Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms