Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmkelly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,301
Message 1 of 5

BIOS Update Error - "Get EC part information fail"

I am trying to update the BIOS on my Yoga 2 Pro 13" laptop.  Downloaded the BIOS update from the support page, but when I run the update, I get the following error:

Get EC part information fail.

Will try to attach a screenshot of the BIOS update error message.

Has anyone seen this before?  I found one other mention here in the forum but no soution or workaround.  Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.  Thanks.

BIOS flash error.PNG

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,291
Message 2 of 5

Re: BIOS Update Error - "Get EC part information fail"

I believe the message means that the downloaded BIOS is not correct for your machine.  Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
pmkelly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,284
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I have the right one.  

I actually started at the support page entitled "Yoga 2 Pro Laptop (Lenovo)", but when I downloaded that BIOS firmware and tried to run it, it gave me an explicit message saying "This BIOS is only for Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. Are you sure you want to update this BIOS on this machine?"

Assuming it could be the wrong one, I searched by serial number and support took me to a page entitled "Yoga 2 13 Laptop (Lenovo)".  That's the one that gives me the firmware update the gives me this "Get EC part information fail" message.  

So given I searched explicitly by serial number, I assume that's the correct one.  I guess it could be possible that the first one is correct, but it feels dangerous to try that.  The second one definitely got farther into the process before an error.  (Actually displaying the BIOS names and such in a graphical window.)

pmkelly
Paper Tape
Views: 2,248
Message 4 of 5

Well, looks like you were right.  And the Lenovo support site is very, VERY, wrong, which is scary when dealing with BIOS firmware.  I'm glad the one they presented as being correct -- which wasn't -- gave me the error above instead of killing my machine.

I finally bit the bullet and installed the first BIOS firmware I located, thinking there was a chance it would brick my machine.  It didn't.  It appears to have actually updated things correctly, as best I can tell.  When I get to the GUI screen like the one I posted above?  The names of the two BIOS firmwares match, and the version numbers were only slightly different.

Which basically means the first support page -- when I searched for "Yoga 2 Pro" -- was the correct one.  And when I typed in my serial number for a more customized search?  It took me to a different page with the wrong firmware.  (Even though the product name on that page was "Yoga 2 13.3" or something to that effect).

daneast
Paper Tape
Views: 2,114
Message 5 of 5

I just had the same issue. When I entered my SN it sent me to "Yoga 2 Pro 13", but according to the BIOS install it is not my system.  The correct one seems to be "Yoga 2 Pro Laptop" which I had to find manually.  That BIOS did update properly.  That's ridiculous support is sending us to the wrong system.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors