Options

6 Posts

11-12-2012

28 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 1 of 3

BLACK SCREEN on Yoga13 with additional problem

2015-01-08, 4:35 AM

OK, new to forums so please have patience with me. 

I'm working on an IdeaPad Yoga 13 (stats below) and encountered the "black screen of death" (I've heard it called that). The machine runs fine and is operational but there is nothing coming up on the built-in LCD. 
The cooling fans spin and the LED's on the case light up as it would normally do. 

When an HDMI cable is connected to the left side input, the output video shows up on the television. 

OK, so here's where it gets weird (rookie mistake): Thinking that I could remove some of the recently applied windows updates, I allowed the computer (from MSCONFIG) to reboot into safe mode. That then took out my HDMI output to the TV. Now I have NO display at all. Thinking that the perhaps this was a hardware issue (and since I had a little bit of play money), I went ahead and ordered a replacement LCD/digitizer combo and installed that....no joy. Same symptoms as before but now with a shiny new screen : P

Here's what I'm asking....is there any REALLY KIND SOUL on this fourm with a working Yoga 13 of similar specs who would be willing to start their system up and record every keystroke (without using a mouse) needed in order to exit safe mode (so that I could use those instructions on my laptop which has no display)?? I'd be eternally grateful and if the instructions worked I'd be willing to paypal $20 to someone for their time. 

If someone can reproduce the steps needed starting from pressing the ONE KEY RECOVERY (NOVO) button, booting into recovery mode, opening a command prompt, and then issuing a command to exit safe mode, I'd be your new best friend. Bonus points if you want to email this to me with cell phone screenshots of your work. 

Please feel free to ask questions about this request as I know it's ODD for sure. Thanks in advance everyone!!

IdeaPad Yoga 13
Model Name: 20175
MO Number: R3NY32B29901
Mfg Date: 12/11/29 (NOVE 11, 2012 in US terms)
S/N: EBxxxxxxxx
P/N: 59340248
Core i5
8GB RAM
256GB SSD

Warranty: Expired

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2012

28 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: BLACK SCREEN on Yoga13 with additional problem

2015-01-09, 19:16 PM

Anyone available here? Could really use the help.

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2012

28 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: BLACK SCREEN on Yoga13 with additional problem

2015-01-09, 20:10 PM

Some success....I was able to hold a flashlight to the screen and see the safe mode desktop...after some tinkering I was able to turn off safe boot and boot back up normally. Now the screen is working normally on HDMI...still some issue with the main display. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms