Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suwigglen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 213
Message 1 of 7

Better Battery Life?

Are there any tried and true tips for exending battery life?  It seems the battery drops another 20% overnight if I put the 920 in sleep mode.  It does a little better if I shut it down, but who wants to do that?  Are there apps that others have found to be part of the problem?

Guru
Views: 120
Message 2 of 7

Re: Better Battery Life?

Sleep is going to consume power.  It's best used for short durations, such as changing planes, moving between offices, etc.  The better option if you'd like to pick up right where you left off 6-9 hours later is to put the 920 into hibernation. Hibernation writes the current state of the computer to the hard drive, then shuts the machine off. 

You can use the settings in your power plan to change the power button's behavior to "hibernate" instead of shutting down or sleeping. You can always use Windows (Windows key > Power > Shut Down) when you'd rather shut the whole thing down. 

If you don't want to change those, you can put a hibernation shortcut on your desktop and just click that when you want to put the computer into hibernation.

Other battery-stretching ideas run the gamut from lowering the brightness on the screen to as dim as you can handle and shutting down any program or power-consuming feature you're not using. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
simoniz
Punch Card
Views: 111
Message 3 of 7

Try disabling fast startup in Windows 10 which should help with the battery drain problem:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

star99
What's DOS?
Views: 101
Message 4 of 7

Sometimes the notebook still works during sleep. There's a setting in Windows Settings, Power & sleep, "When my PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network" set that to "Always".

suwigglen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 63
Message 5 of 7

Thank you. I've set it up for hibernate and it does seem to have helped.
suwigglen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for this tip. I'll try it if the hibernate setting doesn't improve my battery life as much as I would like.
suwigglen
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for this tip. Will try it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors