Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spencercampo
Paper Tape
Views: 529
Message 1 of 4

Bios not recognizing SSD upgrade Yoga 710-15IKB

I bought a new SSD for my laptop to upgrade from 250GB to 1TB, unfortunately my bios will not recognize the new drive. I ran Lenovo Vantage system update and there was an update for my bios, which I installed. It still will not recognize my drive. 

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 2XCN38WW(V2.12), 7/10/2018

Is the drive I got not compatible, and if so why? Any suggestions on what to try?

HP EX920 M.2 1TB PCIe 3.1 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND Internal Solid State Drive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795Z97K7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please don't tell me lenovo didn't include NvMe support.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 501
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bios not recognizing SSD upgrade Yoga 710-15IKB

Hello and welcome,

Per the base spec:  "M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s"  No PCIe/NVMe support.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/Yoga%20710%20(15_)/Yoga_...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

spencercampo
Paper Tape
Views: 477
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply.

Just to make this clear for anyone who stumbles upon this while trying to decide what SSD to buy if they are looking to upgrade storage capacity.

Lenovo Yoga 710-15IKB is compatible with SATA III M.2 Solid State Drives, and NOT compatible with NvMe or PCI-Express SSDs. Visually the drives that are compatible have two notches.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 471
Message 4 of 4

@spencercampo wrote:
Lenovo Yoga 710-15IKB is compatible with SATA III M.2 Solid State Drives, and NOT compatible with NvMe or PCI-Express SSDs. Visually the drives that are compatible have two notches.

Not quite.  There are PCIe x2 (two data lanes) m.2 SSDs with B+M (two notch) keying.  To the best of my knowledge, x4 PCIe drives have a single notch.

The important thing is to verify SATA vs PCIe before making a purchase.  SATA is required for the 710.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors