Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-12-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 5

C740 14 bios update and battery charging issue!

2021-07-23, 15:35 PM

My machine is just over a year old and has charged perfectly since it was new.  Immediately after the last forced bios update (BNCN41WW), my computer started showing the battery level dropping while it was plugged in. I noted that the icon showed the machine plugged in and charging, yet the battery level was dropping steadily.   I tried unplugging the machine, rebooting it and even taking the bottom off and unplugging the battery but this did not help.  I tried the other usb-c port which did exactly the same thing.  Finally, the battery ran out completely and the machine shut itself down.  When I plugged it in, booted it, I noticed the icons said it was plugged in and charging but the charge level was not going up.   When I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in, it began to charge.  Now my machine continues to have issues charging.  I notice that it absolutely will not charge if I plug it in to charge after the battery has run out and it has shut itself down.  When I plug it in the amber light comes on, but when I check it hours later it has not charged at all.  To get it to charge, I have to plug it in,  boot it up, unplug it, plug it back in and make sure it's charging, then shut it down again in order for it to charge while it's off.  Sometimes I have to repeat the process more than once before it starts charging.   It seems to be charging normally if I plug in the charger while it's on.   I have run the factory restore and done all the updates and this continues to be a problem.  At first I thought this was a connection problem with the ports or the charger but I have noticed that there are many others having the exact same issue so appears to me that the bios update broke my machine.  I'm wondering if I can go back to the old bios and how to do this.  I am also wondering if Lenovo is investigating this and will put out a new bios soon.  I haven't seen any responses from Lenovo to others questions about this.  I must say I'm very unhappy with them for this!  

Answer
Options

6 Posts

07-12-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

Re:C740 14 bios update and battery charging issue!

2021-07-24, 11:13 AM

Thank you for your help. I reset the defaults in the bios and this seems to have solved the problem.  I have only done one charge cycle so I'm not convince yet.  I will update if the issue comes back.  

Replies(4)
Options

4870 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

374 Signins

36062 Page Views

• Views: 36062
  • Message 2 of 5

2021-07-23, 19:57 PM

Hello @ wmbill!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Try loading the Yoga C740's BIOS Settings into defaults by pressing the F9 or FN + F9 keys on your keyboard then highlight/select YES followed by F10 or FN + F10 then highlight/select YES again to save the changes & exit.

Once done, see if the issue will still occur.

You may access BIOS Setup by pressing the Novo button that's located underneath the Yoga C740 itself.

Make sure that it is OFF first before pressing.

Aside from that, drain the Yoga C740's battery until it turns OFF then plug it back to its adapter and charge it to full without turning on the device itself to reset its battery itself.

Another thing to do from here is to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver in Device Manager under Battery/Batteries tab.

You may access the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start/Windows symbol.

Restart the device afterwards then see if it will charge properly and if the battery will work fine as well.

Also, please share here your machine's MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications.

It can be seen through the device's label/sticker or its original packaging and does usually have a format of 8********R as an example.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Options

6 Posts

07-12-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-07-24, 0:18 AM

Thanks for your help.  I'll try setting the defaults in the bios and let you know.  I've already tried uninstalling the battery/power drivers and the other suggestion isn't possible because the issue is that it will not charge after the battery is completely drained unless you plug it in, boot it, unplug it and plug it back in.  Then it will charge.  That's actually the problem.  Hope the bios default reset works! 

Answer
Options

6 Posts

07-12-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2021-07-24, 11:13 AM

Thank you for your help. I reset the defaults in the bios and this seems to have solved the problem.  I have only done one charge cycle so I'm not convince yet.  I will update if the issue comes back.  

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4870 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

374 Signins

36062 Page Views

• Views: 36062
  • Message 5 of 5

2021-07-26, 16:00 PM

@ wmbill wrote:

Thanks for the update @ wmbill!

It's good to know that resetting the BIOS Settings into defaults did the trick, great job!

No worries, you may provide an update/ff up here still!

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms