Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

04-15-2015

United States

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 3

Black bar along left edge of Yoga 13 touchscreen

2015-04-15, 2:13 AM

I have an intermittent problem with my Yoga 13 touchscreen display. Following are the symptoms:

• After a few minutes of operation, a 2.5-inch vertical strip along the left edge of the touchscreen flickers in various colors until it turns completely black.

Starting to turn colors...

...and the strip goes black.

• The system is always fully operable and I can even launch applications or select windows by touching the appropriate areas within the blacked-out strip. 
  • This occurs only with the Yoga 13 touchscreen display itself – the problem does not extend to my external monitor.
  • Restarting, or usually just putting the system to sleep for several minutes, causes the black bar to disappear, at least for a while. But it often comes back after use.
  • The problem is intermittent, though it seems to occur more frequently when ambient temperatures are warmer.
  • Occasionally I am able to get the bar to disappear by pressing my thumb onto that area of the touch screen. But this only works for a few minutes and the problem reappears. Eventually, applying pressure has no effect whatsoever.

Would love any input you folks have on what this could be. I'm afraid I'm looking at a costly repair, however. (The system is well out of warranty.)

Thanks!

Options

3508 Posts

04-02-2014

Mexico

2522 Signins

39849 Page Views

• Views: 39849
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Black bar along left edge of Yoga 13 touchscreen

2015-04-15, 14:43 PM

You are probably correct. This is going to cost you some money.

Seems like either display or the cable is failing. In either case both the things need to be replaced. You can do it yourself and save time and money or you can send it to Lenovo and they can do it for you.

Make sure you backup your personal data, in case you decide to send it to Lenovo.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

3 Posts

04-15-2015

United States

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Black bar along left edge of Yoga 13 touchscreen

2015-04-22, 16:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, and I think you're right.

As luck would have it, I discovered the laptop, though nearly two years old, is still covered under Costco's free extended warranty (they automatically add a year to product warranties when you buy from Costco -- no extended warranty purchase needed).

I'm now working with Costco's tech concierge support service (again, free), which has me going through the standard steps to ensure it's not a software problem. This requires a factory reset, so I plan to do that this weekend once I can make enough room on my  backup drive to store an entire disc image prior to the reset.

Interestly, I could not get the Lenovo to boot into the bios (it just wouldn't do it), so we couldn't determine if the monitor issue was happening while in bios.

Either way, I'm confident it will get fixed, and I'm happy Costco is covering the cost.

Thanks again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms