Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Allan_300
Paper Tape
Views: 9,801
Message 1 of 10

Boot fail after unsuccesful windows 10 reset (Yoga 300)

I attempted to reset windows 10 after update failed due to lack of memory (disc is full of temp files I can't delete). I naively thought the reset would get rid of the temp files.

the reset failed, now the thing won't boot. gets stuck at lenovo logo flashing on and off slowly.

the notebook is only 4 weeks old but I can't return it as it is now past the statutory return period in UK. it came with windows 10 installed.

I've tried holding  the power button for 10 secs but makes no difference.

any suggestions?  

Allan

pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 9,783
Message 2 of 10

Re: Boot fail after unsuccesful windows 10 reset (Yoga 300)

Have you tried to boot into one touch recovery? If not, turn off the Yoga then press and hold the OTR button. Good luck!
Allan_300
Paper Tape
Views: 9,765
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your suggestion.

I tried to reset through the novo button but all attempts were unsuccessfull.

I am now contemplating a full reinstal but I'm not sure how I will authenticate the installation as I don't have a a microsoft key - windows was pre-installed and all I had to do was verify my account.

Allan

blero
WWAN
Views: 9,751
Message 4 of 10

Hello,

Since you already had Windows 10 installed and activated once on this Yoga, a new installation will activate automatically, no key needed.

Just be sure to install the same version you had before.

But it's strange you couldn't reset your PC. What happened ?

Is the SSD/HDD detected in BIOS setup ?

Allan_300
Paper Tape
Views: 9,731
Message 5 of 10

Re: Boot fail after unsuccessful windows 10 reset (Yoga 300)

Yes the SSD is recognised in the BIOS.

Is it worth mentioning that the mouse pad still works when I enter System recovery, but the touch screen does not.

I tried all options in the System Recovery.

Reset this PC - gets to about 63% then stalls

System Restore - no restore points available

Startup Repair - unable to repair your PC

I'm resigned to reinstalling Windows from a USB drive.

pastafarian
Token Ring
Views: 9,725
Message 6 of 10

Re: Boot fail after unsuccessful windows 10 reset (Yoga 300)

I think it's time to give up the self-repair and contact Lenovo support (since you can't return it?). Sorry! When my original Y400p when south, I restored it several times in an effort to avoid service. It was a giant waste of time. Lenovo repaired it twice (3X if you include a self-installed hard drive), eventually replacing it with a Y410p that also failed which was replaced by a U530t that eventually failed replaced by a yoga 3 14 replaced by a Yoga 3 Pro in an effort to discover a common flaw in the then new 3 14. So far the Y3P has been OK except the charger failed and the hinge caps fall off.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 9,708
Message 7 of 10

Hi Allan,

Seeing as how your machine is still under warranty and it still partially boots, I would call service and see if they can send you a recovery drive.

That will put it back to factory settings.  

Reimaging the machine is probably the first thing that Service will do anyway.  If you still  have a problem, then at least you will already have a ticket open with Service.

Regards,

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Allan_300
Paper Tape
Views: 9,696
Message 8 of 10

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I downloaded a new copy of W10 to a USB drive and reinstalled it successfully. It was a bit of a roller coaster ride as the setup menu was caught in a continuous scrolling through the options - so I had to hit enter when the required option was highlighted. Weirdest thing I've seen in two decades of battling with the inadequacies of Microsoft products but miraculously it worked. I have now made a system image on a backup drive so hope this will not be needed.

If only I could replace W10 with Android; then this excellect little notebook would be perfect.

alicia73
What's DOS?
Views: 8,401
Message 9 of 10

I'm facing the same problem right now, however, I'm not very techie savvy and I have no idea how to reinstall windows onto my Lenovo Yoga 300 . Is it worth taking it to get  somewhere to get sorted out or could you just give me the steps I should take 

Suniljn
What's DOS?
Views: 3,412
Message 10 of 10

I have  Yoga 300|11 Pentium Dual Core. Original OS was Windows 10 but I had loaded dual boot OS, and was using Elemntary OS along with Win10. I had loaded Ubuntu 17.10 a month back. However, after instllation, I am unable to boot at al. The boot Menu is appearing but the Result is same. Boot failure. It does not save Setup changes, even when altering boot order.

I wonder if the BIOS is corrupted. I am unable to boot Windows, Ubuntu or even from USB it says the same message " Boot failure from USB".

is it a BIOS problem ? Any suggesitons?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors