cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marklyn
Paper Tape
Views: 13,667
Message 1 of 8

Booting from USB possible with Yoga 720?

I've read and tried a number of things to try and get my new Yoga 720 to boot from a USB drive that I can boot from on any of my other computers.  It doesn't see it.

Would appreciate it if someone could review my thoughts below and see if I'm on track or not.

I have read several places that I'd have to turn RAID off in the BIOS and AHCI on instead.  Then I read I'd basically need to re-install Windows 10 and set any legacy settings in BIOS on.

I have also found some other info that says I can use RUFUS to create a UEFI GPT bootable USB drive (which I did). I could boot up with it and use the utilities on it but none of the utils could "see" my drives on the Yoga 720.

I'm tied up in a knot and could use some guidance.  I basically want to be able to boot from a USB drive to use some favorite utilties like Macrium reflect, minitool partition manager, etc.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 13,596
Message 2 of 8

Re: Booting from USB possible with Yoga 720?

Go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that USB is first.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
marklyn
Paper Tape
Views: 13,592
Message 3 of 8

It would be sweet if it were that simple.

There is no boot order in my bios settings under this configuration.

marklyn
Paper Tape
Views: 13,579
Message 4 of 8

Re: Booting from USB possible with Yoga 720? <<solution found>>

After having done a LOT of research I found out I needed to follow some procedure to change my BIOS setting from RAID to ACHI and a couple other things (see below) which worked without having to re-install windows.  Now I can boot from other (USB) devices.

It’s not uncommon to find a system on which RAID drivers have been installed and something like the Intel Rapid Storage Technology package is handling storage devices, but where an SSD might require AHCI operation for more optimal performance or configurability. In these cases, there is in fact a way to switch operation from either IDE or RAID to AHCI within Windows 10 without having to reinstall.  Here’s how.

1. Right-click the Windows Start Menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    1. If you don’t see Command Prompt listed, it’s because you have already been updated to a later version of Windows.  If so, use this method instead to get to the Command Prompt:
      1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
      2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  2. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
    1. If this command does not work for you, try bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
  3. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup (the key to press varies between systems).
  4. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID (again, the language varies).
  5. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  6. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  7. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
    1. If you had to try the alternate command above, you will likely need to do so here also: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
  8. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

I also changed this in BIOS:

Secure boot = off
Boot mode = Legacy Support
Boot Priority = Legacy first

Original article on this here:

https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-oper...

jmedina_
What's DOS?
Views: 10,676
Message 5 of 8

I did this and i was able to boot to my USB but now my windows in in UEFI mode but my linux is in Legacy mode so Windows doesn't appear on Grub. Did this happen to you too?
MilosM
What's DOS?
Views: 8,073
Message 6 of 8

In my case, besides switching from RAID to AHCI and following instructions to have this transition safe in Windows, as described above, I had to do the following changes in my BIOS:

Boot mode: Legacy Support

Boot priority: Legacy first

Fast boot: Dasabled

After that Ubuntu finaly booter from USB on my Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop Smiley Happy

LexOnLnv
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,372
Message 7 of 8

These are helpful directions.  I'd like to add some details. 

Do these things at your own risk.  If you're not a detail-oriented person, don't try them.  Triple check.

Before starting, make sure you know the Windows password for (one of) your Administrator-level account(s).  To verify, make sure you are able to login without using the fingerprint reader.

For the first bcedit command, I instead used "bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal" (no quotes).  The second command (to turn off safe boot) worked as listed.

The key to enter BIOS is F2.  Press it at startup, immediately after the Lenovo logo appears.  (You'll need to first run the bcedit to set the safeboot to minimal, as above.)

The BIOS menu locations and settings are as follows:
Configuration, SATA Controller Mode:  AHCI

Security, Secure Boot:  Disabled

Boot, Boot Mode: Legacy Support

Boot, Boot Priority:  Legacy First

Thanks for your help!  I am now able to boot my Linux from a USB stick and Windows from the hard drive.

Good luck, and be safe!

Silass0
What's DOS?
Views: 667
Message 8 of 8

Hey there, 

I found a way to boot from USB without changing the boot mode from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support". 

Generally, it is undesirable to boot in Legacy Mode as it: 

1. Offers less protection vs malware than UEFI Mode
  2. Is not dual-bootable

My method only works in Windows 10. What you want to do is acces the menu called "Advanced Startup Options". 

This menu can be accessed simply pressing-and-holding the "shift"-key as you press the "restart"-button in the Windows 10 environment.

Your computer will then restart and open the "Avanced Startup Options". Then, the option "use a device" or something similar should be available.

After pressing this option there will appear a list of available devices to boot from. Choose your USB (it has to be plugged in prior to this point). The computer will now boot from the USB.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors