Options

2 Posts

05-22-2020

US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 7

Bought a C940 as a replacement for my MacBook Pro - why is it so slow? Apologies for the long post..

2020-05-22, 12:35 PM

I have an 10th gen i7 with 16Gb RAM and I got the laptop about  month ago.

I wanted something small, portable, and well spec'd so on paper it looked good. My Macbook still runs but the keyboard is shot and its the thicker model so wanted something slimmer for easier transport plus no USB C.

I do development work and due to current working from home arrangements I bought this as the new MacBooks were 1k more than I paid for this.

So right off the bat the laptop uses @30 - 50% CPU just after boot for around 10 mins. My mem goes straight up to 70%

My CPU eventually settles around 10%.

So I run applications like Slack, Spotify, Mail, Chrome (around 40 tabs open), Visual Studio Code, Ubuntu terminal, and some other applications like Audible, WhatsApp occasionally. Nothing here is a heavy load and I dont compile on my laptop.

After which my CPU spikes up 80+% and mem is around 90% fans are just whirring away and laptop is so hot - I see thats a thing from the board here.

I started a course on Data Science and need to run Anaconda with Jupyter notebooks and thats the tipping point. I have to wait to type anything and wait for pages to load.

Also besides that my laptop drops the internet connection very frequently, esp during Zoom meetings.

I know all this is laptop specific because my 9 year old Macbook with i5 and 16gb RAM can do all this no problems. And my Zoom meetings are fine. Internet never gets dropped. No high CPU usage - its about 10-420% and mem sits around 30-40%.

Im not a Windows native either but was impressed with the Linux subsystem, Ive also tried running Ubuntu on a partition to dual boot into but there are even more issues with that!

Did I buy the wrong laptop or is something wrong with this?

Options

2165 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4720 Signins

47121 Page Views

• Views: 47121
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Bought a C940 as a replacement for my MacBook Pro - why is it so slow? Apologies for the long post..

2020-05-22, 13:39 PM

Welcome to the Community

Can you look in Task Manager to see the programs and/or services that are consuming the most resources when this is happening? It's not unusual on a brand new computer as various bundled programs and services are busy updating in the background. If your 940 came with McAfee and you didn't change any of its settings, then it's likely scanning everything. 

Try it with fewer browser tabs open. Bad code on just one or two web pages can send Chrome into fits. 

But do look at Task Manager next time it happens and that'll help narrow down what's wrong.

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Options

2 Posts

05-22-2020

US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:Bought a C940 as a replacement for my MacBook Pro - why is it so slow? Apologies for the long post..

2020-05-22, 14:02 PM

Yeah its all Google Chrome with occasional Lenovo things popping up

I've had to disable all anti virus and its associated services - which is prob not a good idea.

Gonna try this weekend and get Ubuntu running with the new upgrade.

I'm guessing the issue is likely more Windows related than the hardware.

If I dont see any improvement then I will have to see about returning this and buy the Mac or using it as en expensive paper weight.

Example of watching a video on Facebook with only Chrome open and about 15 tabs:

Options

26 Posts

04-26-2020

US

27 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-05-22, 16:19 PM

Remove Vantage. Disable all Lenovo services you don't need for the actual operation of the laptop.

These things are so badly optimized out of the factory it's unbelievable.

I did a lot of clearing up and now my CPU runs between 0 to 1 percent on idle.

It's plainly obvious there is little or no real world testing goes on at Lenovo. Every one of their laptops I've had is full to death with bugs.

Options

2 Posts

05-22-2020

US

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-05-22, 17:01 PM
A full reinstall of Windows 10 then be a good idea?
Options

6 Posts

05-22-2020

US

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-05-22, 17:08 PM

@ DeeDubski wrote:

A full reinstall of Windows 10 then be a good idea?

I tried to reinstall OS on my yoga c940 (with clean Windows 10).  Nothing!  The Laptop still hot and slow ...

P.S. I have a second one - yoga c740 (core i5), no problems with it

Options

137 Posts

12-08-2019

US

183 Signins

1449 Page Views

• Views: 1449
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-05-25, 17:27 PM
Try my guide and see if the fans run less after doing it https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/gao5ir/c940_the_ultimate_guide_to_a_better_battery/
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete