Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YP3_2015
Fanfold Paper
Views: 738
Message 1 of 5

Brand New Yoga Pro 3: Screen flickering white lines

Dear Lenovo Team

Been fortunate enough to have exchanged my prior 2 Yoga Pros 3 for a new one via retailer. Everything has been running smoothly on the first day until I noticed some short white lines (cannot determine the length as it is only visible against dark backgrounds and flickers lightly for 2-3 seconds) on different parts of the screen.

The laptop has been switched on for around 8 hours and used for browsing with no documents or apps opened. Whether it be connected to a power adaptor, running on battery only, in laptop or in tent mode, placed on different surfaces, this has occured 5 times already.

This is my third Yoga Pro 3... I will not be able to (or would want to ask retailer to exchange it) but am hoping that I will not have to send it to a service centre - since it's brand new and a lot of time and energy has been spent on this product by all parties. Should I wait and see first after all the main updates have finished?

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 713
Message 2 of 5

Re: Brand New Yoga Pro 3: Screen flickering white lines

I would not wait, I would contact tech support. Make sure to tell them about the previous machines from the same retailer. I have no idea what would cause that many machines from the same retailer have the same problem, My Y3P went thru UPS and I have had Zero problems (other than a few update issues) with it.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
YP3_2015
Fanfold Paper
Views: 698
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for your reply.

I've already contacted tech support - who asked me to download the newest graphics driver and do some other checks. Afterwards as I used the touch screen to scroll up and down and caught the line flickering during the time I had my finger on the screen. Again the flickers are very random. They've initially determined that it's not a software issue and have advised to take it to the service centre.

The technician over the phone suggested that it may be the connection between the monitor and the keyboard. May I ask if you know whether such issues are a "simple fix"  or if there could be a number of things that cause the flickering.

I've already spent 2.5 weeks, back and forth to the retailer and service centre and several long phone calls trying to resolve and understand the various issues. Unforutnately I like this model too much despite the issues I've experienced, to refund it or change for another model (which I would and could not do at the retailer -they have assisted as much as they can in their capacity). However, I am concerned that further complications could arise from this repair.

Staff have been helpful and I've yet to take this matter to Lenovo customer service to see if they have any better suggestions/solutions. I just want to have a functioning YP3 that would meet standards - a brand new laptop should not be sent for repair upon purchase.

Distressed customer

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 680
Message 4 of 5

I agree with you that a new system should not need repair.  I also agree with you about liking the Yoga 3 Pro. I am the same way.

As for the potential cause, I am not 100% sure, but I suspect that the video cable may have a thin spot in the insulation. Or there is a connector issue. At the very outside it could be a monitor.

Does it seem to have this problem in one mode more than other? If it is, then chances are there is a problem with the harness. For instance if in normal laptop mode it does not happen, or happens less than the other 3 modes, then the harness would be getting pull tightly around the hinge. In laptop mode or opened flat, the harness would not be as tight.

Hoov
Former Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
SpywareHammer.com
YP3_2015
Fanfold Paper
Views: 641
Message 5 of 5

Thanks again for your reply.

Been trying to monitor the situation and managed to capture a photo and recording.

Unfortunately the Lenovo customer service here has no service and were very reluctant to do anything more than assert company policy and divert me to the retailer. Tech support have been helpful though. The strange thing is that the white lines problem have occured less often...like it's dormant!

Previously there would be blips in tent mode and laptop mode, in the last few days the lines have been appear randomnly when using touch screen to scroll up and down especially when watching youtube videos. The very thin line is across the screen would be at the same place at that moment, when fingers remain pressed on the screen. After 5 minutes or so of repeated action, it disappears.

Let's see if Lenovo or the retailer will help provide a solution to this traumatic purchase experience.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors