Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Megamag
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,029
Message 1 of 32

Brand new Yoga 720 13 Touchscreen not working

Hey there,

I just bought a brand new Yoga 720 13IKB yesterday.

Now I just configured Windows 10 and realized that the Touchscreen doesnt work. Like, at all. Which is funny, because it worked once, at the first screen of the Windows initialization, where I pressed "Next" on the touchscreen. After the whole procedure, when I got to the desktop, however, it ceased to work.

In the device manager it says 'this device cannot start" (Code 10)'  on the 'Wacom Device'. It also has the yellow exclamation mark on it. So I assume, that's what causes the problem.

I just don't know how to fix it, though. I'm absolutely out of ideas at this point. The list of things I've tried includes:

- Deinstalling Wacom Drivers entirely

- Reinstalling Wacom drivers, first time from Wacom directly, second time from Lenovo page

- Installing every othe driver, including chipset drivers

- Installing all availably Windows Updates

- Installing newest Lenovo Firmware

- Installing new BIOS (which didn't work since the newest BIOS was already on there)

- Giving up and doing a complete factory reset, including reinstalling Windows 10

None of these things did anything. Even now, after the factory reset it still has the same issue and the same yellow excalamtion mark. What the hell.

It has to be some driver issue, since the touchscreen itself worked (once). 

So what am I supposed to do?? I can't even return my machine and request a new one, since the store is out of stock.

Thank you.

Yoga15isk
What's DOS?
Views: 5,933
Message 2 of 32

Re: Brand new Yoga 720 13 Touchscreen not working

This problem is usually resolved by entering the bios and resetting to defaults.

I had the same problem, and this was suggested to me by Lenovo Support. It works.

Megamag
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,929
Message 3 of 32

Thank you,

I just entered the BIOS and Loaded the Default Settings (for UEFI).

It didn't make any difference unfortunately. Unless I did it wrong.

Alfredo79
Paper Tape
Views: 5,761
Message 4 of 32

Hi there, 

I have exactly the same problem with a brand new Yoga 720 13inch. Reading on the web it looks like it is a very common issue and that it all depends on the initial installation and setting of Windows 10. Apparently running the installation without being connected to the internet ends up with the touchscreen working as it should. Doing the installation while connected causes some sort of firmware/driver error. In my case, the touchscreen was working fine before the Windows first setup and update. 

In my case The Wacom device is not working and it cannot be fixed neither with an update nor by installing the drivers from the Wacom website.  However, I am not sure that the real problem depends on this. From the HID intefaces list, I cannot see the drive "HID compliant touch screen", thus I cannot disable/enable, update or uninstall such HID device. 

I tried everything, from switching on/off to installing any available new driver out there, updating windows, resetting windows, instaling the latest firmware.....everything I found out on the web or that came to my mind. Nothing works. 

The only solution that seems feasible is to revert Windows 10 to the previous version, or completely install Windows 10 from stratch without being connected to the internet. However, can this be done on a brand new machine with no previous Windows versions on it? 

What is more annoying is that I do not see any official suggestion or support from Lenovo, just random owners of the laptop that are trying all that is humanely possible to fix this issue. Statements from Lenovo support are limited to "do the troubleshooting" or "disable/enable the HID touch screen". Well, this is clearly not working because the HID touch screen is simply not there! 

This is quite frustrating as the main reason I bought this laptop was for the touch screen functionality. Now it would good to know from the Lenovo support if this will be fixed or we should all send back en masse our problematic laptops.

Megamag
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,758
Message 5 of 32

Yeah I got the same responses from the support. Nothing worked for me so I had to send the laptop back and get a new one..

I did not install the creators Update during the initialization of Windows and the touchscreen works as intended.

I'm kinda scared tho, that the problem mihht return if I update to Creators right now. So I'm waiting with that until Lenovo figured something out.

Alfredo79
Paper Tape
Views: 5,753
Message 6 of 32

I read a post in german where apparently you can update Windows and the touchscreen should work fine, on the condition that you do the initial setup without being connected to the internet. So in your case you should be able to do all the updates. 

This is really annoying. I cannot send back the laptop right now (is my girlfriend's laptop), I will only be able to do it in a month time. And the solution should be straighforward because there is nothing wrong with the touchscreen, it is just a compatibility problem with Windows (what a surprise....!!!) so everything should be fixed easily if Lenovo releases a proper driver/firmware/update.  

Rather the question here is, how do you delete/reset and re-install Windows 10 from stratch? In my case this would be much easier than sending the laptop back. 

Megamag
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,744
Message 7 of 32

Well you could read out the License Key from the BIOS and then reinstall Windows via USB Boot Drive, formatting the hard drive while doing so.

I have no idea what that does to the Lenovo drivers and stuff, though.

handshak3
Paper Tape
Views: 5,730
Message 8 of 32

I have the exact same issue as you guys have. The wacom device has a lil triangle on it that says:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

I also can not just send back my computer very easily, and this SHOULD be a quick fix with a driver update somewhere, or a tip on how to revert back to old updates.

Lenovo/Windows, what the @£$€?

Alfredo79
Paper Tape
Views: 5,698
Message 9 of 32

I tried to uninstall the Wacom device that was not working. Doing this gives me back the "HID compliant touch screen", but it does not give me the option "Enable/Disable". And the touch screen does not work anyway. In addition, the Pen and Touch settings are nowhere to be found, indeed in the system summary it says "no pen or touch device connected". Essentially it is like the machine is recognized as a normal laptop with no touch device. I am wondering if the problem would still be there with Windows 8. I am a Mac user, so I do not know if it is possible to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8 for free. Does Windows allow that? 

This is just such a massive @%*& up by both Lenovo and Windows. I mean, it is ridicoulos that an OS that is supposed to work with touch screen technology does not recognize a touch screen device. And that Lenovo does nothing to fix this!  I find very annoying that one has to rely on other customers comments and tries. Unless the issue is on the Wacom part.

Now I don't have the laptop with me and I can't try other apporaches to fix this problem. Please handshak3, keep me updated if you encounter any solution (besides sending the laptop back) to this. 

Alfredo79
Paper Tape
Views: 5,626
Message 10 of 32

Just wanted to refresh this thread. Has anyone found a solution to this? 

Lenovo support, where are you? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors