Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
YogaC930SureshM
What's DOS?
Views: 2,642
Message 1 of 5

C930 Fan noise is very high

Hi, I recently purchased a C930 Lenova ultrabook. I am hearing a lot of fan noise, in fact it is at the higher end of most of the ultrabooks. I am saying because I exchanged HP spectre 360 and it was very quite. I tried all 3 bios options to reduce noise but this fan noise if becoming an head ache during long hours of usage. Have anyone faced this issue. Any chance of fixing it? If so could you please let me know? Thanks.

sj-monday
Punch Card
Views: 2,526
Message 2 of 5

Re: C930 Fan noise is very high

Hi Suresh,

I had been disappointed with the level of fan noise my C930 was throwing out, as well. It seemed that the fans would spin up to high throttle with very little encouragement (opening any application, playing video, having more than a couple of Chrome tabs etc). Like you, I'd experimented with the BIOS settings but they didn't seem to make any difference.

Then earlier this week I downloaded and installed the following updates:

1.  The BIOS update to version 8GCN32WW
  2.  The 'Energy Manager Driver with Yoga Mode Control' (version 15.11.28.190 191)
  3. The battery firmware update to version 005

All are available from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-c930-13ikb/downloa...

One or a combination of these updates - I'm assuming the BIOS update - has made a huge difference. My fans are much quieter now and no longer an annoyance. I actually changed the BIOS fan profile back from 'quiet' to 'intelligent' after installing the update because the 'quiet' profile now noticeably slows the machine down to keep the fans off. But no matter because the default 'intelligent' profile seems to be perfect.

Hope that helps!

Sam

KelvinYeug
Paper Tape
Views: 676
Message 3 of 5

Lenovo support replaced the fan. There is a yellow stricker within the fan. That caused the noise.  Do u see that from the picture?

MKR2
What's DOS?
Views: 64
Message 4 of 5

Interesting. I just got a C930 and the fan seems loud, I wonder if I need a replacement.

YogaC930SureshM
What's DOS?
Views: 55
Message 5 of 5

Replacement thought is something on your decision bucket. But many a time the noise annoys especially if you are working in a quiet environment. Also, the Nits on the screen is dull for that resolution. Speed and performance are as expected out of my I7. But this fan noise and dull Nit screen make the working or entertainment experience a bog. It is quite a good machine if you are using it for office purposes. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors