Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 577
Message 1 of 9

C930 Not starting when immediately after pessing Power Button

Recently purchased C930.  All  was fine initially.  Within last few days,  started experiencing issues when pressing start button after system had been shut down..  Typically system would boot almost immediately after presssing start button.  Now,  I find that I have to hold the start button down for approximately 10 seconds and then system goes through normal boot routine.

It  reminds me of issues with WIN sleep issues where machine would freeze rather than wake form sleep mode.   

I welcome any suggestions before returning unit.

Highlighted
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 562
Message 2 of 9

Re: C930 Not starting when immediately after pessing Power Button

It sure sounds like you have a problem with the system entering sleep mode, so I would start by running a sleepstudy.

How to create a Sleepstudy Report

• Open a Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type (or copy and paste) the following:  powercfg /sleepstudy > %userprofile%\desktop\sleepstudy.html   and press Enter

A sleepstudy.html file will be created on your desktop, and can be attached to a reply, or opened in your browser.

My guess is that your laptop is actually crashing (blue screening) when entering or leaving Sleep Mode due to  a driver not properly entering a low power state, which forces your laptop to be cold booted instead. 

The Sleep Study Report may not identify which driver, but you may find that there are MEMORY.DMP files being created in the C:\Windwos folder each time it occurs, and if so if you can post one of them to One Drive or Drop Box etc, it can help identify what driver is at fault.

I not, just make sure your system has the latest device drivers installed either manually, or by using Lenovo Vantage or manually from the Lenovo Support Site.    Avoid BIOS updates if offered, because Lenovo BIOS updates are often problematic, and should only be applied if needed, and even then with extreme caution.

Cheers,

Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 549
Message 3 of 9

OK. I created sleep study.  HTML on desktop is link to sleep study folder in system32.  What files do I need to provide for you to review results?

Also, no memory.dmp files in Windows dir..

Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 545
Message 4 of 9

I did use Vantage to do driver updates.. Not so sure issues didn't start with updates.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 541
Message 5 of 9

Just attach the sleepstudy.html file to a reply.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 532
Message 6 of 9

Look in the event log to see if an error is being thrown.  I also would try turning off "fast startup".

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 525
Message 7 of 9

Not sure how to do either.   Nothing under settings for fast startup

Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 517
Message 8 of 9

Think I found issue.  Someplace when updating files,  pwoer button and lid closing were forcing sleep mode.   I found link on accessing fast startup in control panel, I reset power button and lid closure to power off.   Seems to have worked.  Not sure what changed default settings to sleep.

Might be premature but thanks for assistance.

Chalky
Punch Card
Views: 505
Message 9 of 9

Problem resolved. Thanks for diagnosis and help in solving issue..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors