Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
knappster
Punch Card
Views: 4,613
Message 1 of 17

C930 USB C hub issues

I purchase a highly reviewed USB C Hub on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDHD3VC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to use with a Lenovo C930.  Unfortunately, when I have the Lenovo power adapter connected to the USB Hub and the USB Hub connected to the laptop, the laptop charges, but does not detect the USB Hub  If I disconnect the (Lenovo) power adapter from the hub, the hub seems to work properly.  Can anybody provide advice on whether this is an issue with the hub or the C930?  I've been trying to update all of the drivers through device manager to no avail.

Maugha
SCSI Port
Views: 4,604
Message 2 of 17

Re: C930 USB C hub issues

I just purchased one and it arrived today. There are 3 ports on the C930, the regular USB, then the first USB-C that charges the computer and the last one is a second USB-C. I plug my multi-port into the last port leaving my charger in the first USB-C port. It works fine.
Here is the charger I got...it's great for my uses and was much cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWD6MB3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

knappster
Punch Card
Views: 4,575
Message 3 of 17

I believe that I could do the same thing with mine, but I was hoping to avoid wearing out two ports on the laptop by needing to plug in power and the hub into separate USB-C ports.  I would also like to leave the other USB-C port open in the event that I needed some other adapter on it.  I'm talking to the seller on Amazon trying to find out if it is a compatibility issue or if it is a defective product.

knappster
Punch Card
Views: 4,500
Message 4 of 17

Just to close this out, I investigated some other USB C hub options.  Plugable had one with two HDMI displays, but they said that it was not compatible with the C930.  After chatting with Lenovo tech support and sales support, they recommended the Thinkpad 40A90090US.  I purchased it and a couple DVI to HDMI converters, they arrived today, and everything has been working well so far (only a few hours, mind you).  I currently have:

Power

2 HDMI 1080p monitors

Ethernet

USB Printer

USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo

All plugged into the C930 on one USB C connection.  I'll report back if I find any intermittent issues.

chindhi
Paper Tape
Views: 4,359
Message 5 of 17

Wondering if you are still happy using the Thinkpad 40A90090US with your Yoga C930? I'd like to get the Yoga C930, but the Lenovo site does not list any compatible docking stations. 

knappster
Punch Card
Views: 4,350
Message 6 of 17

Yes, I am still happy with it.  I recently had someone ask if it could do higher than 60 Hz.  My LCD monitors are rated to 75 Hz and display 2 will run at 75 Hz but display 1 will only run at 60 Hz.  Identical monitors, identical displayport to HDMI adapters, but different HDMI cables and I haven't tried swapping the cables around.  This doesn't really have any impact on me for business use, though.

The only quirk I have encountered so far is that I cannot power it on while the lid is closed, even when connected to the dock.  I've tried the button on the dock and the button on the laptop and neither will power it up.  If it is just asleep, I can wake it with the mouse (but not the power button), but if it is completely off I have to open the lid and press the power button.  Sometimes even when I close the lid again it will keep the laptop screen as an additional screen.  If I notice that my mouse is disappearing or programs are not on the monitors I will have to open and close the lid again.  This, of course, is after I already changed the power settings to do nothing when it has power and the lid closes.

The only significant thing that I have realized that I would have liked the laptop or the docking station to have is an SD card reader.  However, the USB C hub I initially bought as a "docking station" does, so I can use it as an SD card dongle.

WojtasWWW
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,326
Message 7 of 17

Hi,

I've Bought this (about 100 USD). Everything works perfect, I have 144 Hz refresh with DP, power-thru also works. Recommend!
WojtasWWW
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,325
Message 8 of 17

knappster
Punch Card
Views: 4,315
Message 9 of 17

That looks similar to my first one WojtasWWW.  It sort of worked, but only for one monitor and I had to connect power to the hub after the hub was connected to the laptop.  There was intermittent interference on the 2.4 GHz wireless mouse and keyboard, too.

Does yours have the capability of dual monitors?  I would say that I am very happy with the Thinkpad dock so far.

WojtasWWW
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,308
Message 10 of 17

Hi,

I haven't tried DP+HDMI, have only one monitor Smiley Wink 144 Hz refresh was the most important for me, and that works.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors