Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KWSutton
Paper Tape
Views: 173
Message 1 of 7

C930 slow wifi after sleep

My C930 wifi speeds only reach 10-20mbps after I wake the laptop from sleep. If I go into Device Manager and uninstall the WLAN device (Intel AC9260), once it reenables itself it reaches 200+mbps. Additionally, if I don't disable the device but instead just change a setting on the device such as the Roaming Aggressiveness, that also gets my speeds back up to 200+ mbps. But once it's fixed, it goes back to being slow once the computer goes to sleep and I wake it up again.

I have the latest Intel WLAN drivers (20.120.1). Does anyone know how to get the wifi to stop slowing down after it sleeps?

before.PNGBefore uninstalling WLAN in device managerafter.PNGAfter uninstalling WLAN in device manager

SaLen
What's DOS?
Views: 103
Message 2 of 7

Re: C930 slow wifi after sleep

Did you ever find the fix? I'm having EXACT same issue. I'm only in day 3 of ownership so will be returning my c930 if I don't find a fix within the 30 day return  period. What a disappointment. 

KWSutton
Paper Tape
Views: 101
Message 3 of 7

Unfortunately not, even a factory reset didn't help. I returned it and bought an Asus Zenbook Flip S instead. Same cpu and network adapter but no wifi problems.

SaLen
What's DOS?
Views: 90
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I called Lenovo and they are blaming my internet service provider. That's obviously not the problem here since a restart gets me full bandwidth. How do you like the zenbook, is the audio any good? Mind if I ask where you purchased it at? This was my first and last Lenovo product unfortunately. I love the machine otherwise. 

KWSutton
Paper Tape
Views: 85
Message 5 of 7

Yeah it's definitely not the ISP. I was thinking it might be my router doing something weird but the fact that none of my other devices have this issue makes me think it's a problem with the Lenovo. If I had to guess I'd say it's putting the network in adapter in a low-power mode when it goes to sleep (it stays connected to the network when it's asleep) and not waking it up correctly.

I really really like the Zenbook, it's incredibly thin and light. The screen is good, brightness is no problem although it can't get quite as dim as the C930. Audio is good, it gets loud enough and sounds fine but it's never going to sound as good as the Lenovo with that terrific soundbar. With how thin it is it gets a bit warm when it's working hard, but just warm, never hot. It also comes with an app for toggling 'Quiet Fan' mode. Basically with that on it throttles the CPU a bit more to stop the heat and keep the fan quiet, or you can turn it of for a performance boost but more heat/fan noise. I never find it too slow with quiet fan on, or too hot with quiet fan off. Because of it's smaller size, it's easier to convert from tablet to laptop mode than the C930.  Finally, it comes with a nicer pen than the Lenovo stylus but the downside is it doesn't attach to the computer at all. 

SaLen
What's DOS?
Views: 82
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for the feedback, I like Asus products so I will check it out. Such a bummer about the c930 which is otherwise top notch. I'm shocked there isn't an entire thread of users reporting this issue. Maybe they just haven't noticed. I have the UHD display and only noticed because I couldn't reliably stream 4k video.  It's too bad Lenovo customer support closed my ticket and told me it's not the fault of their product, I'm sending this thing back now and I bet this will lead to many returned c930s for Lenovo. 

KWSutton
Paper Tape
Views: 79
Message 7 of 7

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it's affecting more users and they just aren't noticing. The speeds I was getting were fast enough for HD Youtube videos and for pages to load quickly, I only noticed when trying to download some Steam games and seeing the download speed was a tenth of what it usually is. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors