Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DS-C940
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,431
Message 1 of 19

C940 14" UHD poor battery life

I have just bought a new 14" UHD C940 Yogo 2-in-1 notebook.  I was surprised that I could only use it for about 5 hours on battery with browsing and youtube video.  Went back to the shop and was told by the salesperson that the rated 10 hours battery life is good only if you leave the machine idle.  Anybody else having such a problem or I just have a bad unit ?

jonim87
Paper Tape
Views: 1,362
Message 2 of 19

Re: C940 14" UHD poor battery life

I haven't timed it exactly but I would estimate roughly similar numbers. Definitely not even close to 10 hours. Does you unit turn the fan on while browsing internet? I was originally thinking that maybe the fan consumes the battery. At least on my unit the fan goes on very easily even on light loads. I have also been thinking if this is normal.

DS-C940
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,315
Message 3 of 19

I didn't notice.  It was quite quiet so maybe not. All the lab tests I can find on the web on this model were done on the FHD screen, not UHD, so it's really hard to tell if I have a bad battery. I guess the UHD screen really sucks up a lot of power.  The screen is really great though, so probably still worth it for the poor battery, as long I didn't get a bad one.

ItzZero
Paper Tape
Views: 1,188
Message 4 of 19

I also have the C940 with the 4k screen, and can confirm that around 5 hours of battery life is correct.  The screen is bright and beautiful, but a big power hog.  I am currently considering sending back the 4k and ordering the FHD model instead.  

jonim87
Paper Tape
Views: 1,165
Message 5 of 19

I chose the 4K model because I wanted 1TB SSD and that was not an option in the FHD models. Otherwise I would have gone with the FHD. However, I agree that the display is very nice. Be aware that the FHD display has smaller brightness according to the specs, so I don't how it compares against the 4K one. If you decide to exchange for the FHD model, would be nice to hear what kind of battery life you get from it and how you like the display.

One thing also is that since this model is very new, it might be that there will be improvements in the battery life with future BIOS updates. But so far it looks like 5 hours is what we get.

Lajolla1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,064
Message 6 of 19

The reson the advertised battery life is so long 10hrs UHD and 17.5 FHD for the c940 is because they do the test watching a predownloaded movie on a  laptop that is on airplane mode ( no wifi/blue tooth), screen brightness turned to 50-60%, keyboard backlights off, and the only thing on the computer is windows 10.  

I just got my C930-UHD a few weks ago and my battery life is around 4hours o a good day with all background apps off, screen brightness reduced to 55-65%%, battery saver on, keyboard backlights off, bluetooth off, USB power turned off, mail syn reduced to every 15-30 minutes instead of continuously, not notifications etc. Therefore, the C940-UHD 5-hour battery life seems signifcantly better (batteries are same size but power management is supposedly better).  Has anyone gotten the C940 FHD model? I want to exchange my C930 for the C940 due to several other issue I am having besides the battery and supposedly the battery life for the FHD model is almost twice that of the UHD model; however, I was just not certain about the screen brightness and contrast since both are problematic with the UHD C930 model and I didn't want to upgrade to the C940 and get the FHD in order to improve time I can work on battery, only to experience issues with the screen brightness/clarity.  Has only one gotten  the FHD model and if so can you share your experience with battery life and screen brightness?

Thanks 

maximilianpuetz
Punch Card
Views: 1,009
Message 7 of 19

Also arrround 5h Here...fhd people. Please Report what you got and how you like the screen

Technurse
What's DOS?
Views: 631
Message 8 of 19

Just picked mine up this weekend from BB for $1,445.  Mine just shut down around 6hrs of basic tasks.  I was downloading quite a bit of photos and syncing data from my share drives (aka dropbox, google, one drive).  I do have wifi on, backlit keyboard on and the UHD model.  I was surprise as everyone else is about the short battery life.  I was hoping for a laptop that could run all day.  

I love the display and sound, wish it had more ports, but purchased a travel hub that has everything from multiple display ports to network port to card readers and of course more USB ports.  Figure laptop these sizes will require some sort of hub, so I'm ok with not having them attached.  Nice to have, but can live without them, although being a photographer, I'd love to of had a SD card slot built in.

BB did not have the option for a 1TB drive, only the 512GB, but appears I can get one for around $100-$150 and upgrade the drive.  Asuming the internals aren't sodered onto the board.  (Anyone know the answer)?  Are the RAM and the SSD removable?

Much better than Dell's 13" similar model (even though Dell has more ports), the build on Dell's seem to be less, sound was aweful and the fan and overheating was constant right out of the box.  Only thing I wish this also had was something similar to Dell's mobile connect that allows your phone to work in tandum with the laptop, similar to what macbooks do with the iphones.  Perhaps Lenovo will release something similar.  Oh yeah, better battery life would of been great.  But not going to downgrade the display.  There are other solutions.

I do wish it had a slot for a lock also.  I know minor thing.  Overall, enjoying it so far.  Loaded Adobe Lightroom, Techsmith Snag It, Camtasia, MS Office 2019, Visio, Malwarebytes, CC Cleaner.  Removed Mcafee.

I guess I'll find out how fast this charges back to 100% from Empty.

lenovo_911
Paper Tape
Views: 614
Message 9 of 19

UHD owners: have yo tried to lower the screen resolution in Windows? Will this improve battery life?

DS-C940
Blue Screen Again
Views: 552
Message 10 of 19

The UHD screen would be too beautiful to give up!!  I would suggest to use a powerbank if needed, to extend the usage.  I mainly use it without power line when reading ebooks, and this activity can last close to 9 hours with dark background.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors