10-15-2019

FI

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 1 of 4

C940 Realtek audio delay

2019-12-27, 11:02 AM

I'm trying to use a midi keyboard with the Lenovo C940's built-in Realtek soundcard but I get horrendous audio delay, making it hard to play anything with the midi keyboard in rhythm. I found this article about it:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-realtek-audio-delay-lag/

I tried using the Microsoft High-Definition Audio Device driver as suggested in the article. It removed the audio delay, but it caused me other issues: there were crackles and pops at the beginning of audio playback and bass disappeared completely, making it sound horrible. So the issue is driver related.

I know that this is solvable with an external audio interface, but it's inconvenient to carry a bulky audio interface around while travelling. With my previous laptop, which also had Realtek audio card, there wasn't any audio delay.

Has anyone else tried to use Lenovo Yoga laptops for music production and has gotten past this problem? I tried to fiddle around with the Realtek audio driver settings, like disable audio enhancements (Dolby Atmos etc.) but it didn't make any difference. Seems like there is some kind of fixed extra buffering inside the default Realtek driver causing the delay.

Options

1707 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4448 Signins

42496 Page Views

• Views: 42496
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: C940 Realtek audio delay

2019-12-27, 14:26 PM

Welcome to the Community.

I'm not a musician, but I work in professional audio. Probably doesn't answer your question, but I've been using external audio interfaces for laptops going back 20+ years. It's a simple choice of capabilities and audio quality.  I currently use a Focusrite Scarlett interface and absolutely love it. Sure, it's a touch bulky, but so is the microphone processor, mic and soundproofing. Everything fits into a storage tub for travel. The end result is beautifully clean source audio. The better the source track, the more you can do with it in post.

If you don't need balanced audio and can live with only mic and line-level inputs, there are a number of pocket-sized USB audio interfaces that could likely do the job. Not knocking laptop audio cards.. they're great for playing music or video audio and handle gaming headsets as that's what they're most often called upon to do. Professional audio is a whole 'nuther thing. 

Just my humble opinion. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Options

19 Posts

10-15-2019

FI

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 3 of 4

2019-12-27, 15:36 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree on your points. I have a studio at home, where I use Focusrite Clarett as my main audio interface and can say that having an external audio interface is far superior to any built-in soundcards in every possible way. I also have Komplete Audio 6 audio interface which I've dedicated for travel.

However, there's also the convenience aspect. I work on electronic music and sometimes when I sketch out new ideas (usually in bed) I have the need to quickly grab in a midi keyboard and work on some melodies. Setting up the audio interface and everything just for a few minutes sake feels a bit clumsy. I also loose the ability to listen from the laptop speakers, which is convenient when tracking (and when critical listening is not required). Any mixing, audio recording and mastering work I'm doing anyway in my studio, since it has proper acoustics and speakers for critical listening and recording.

Basically I'm already on the verge of carrying the KA6 interface all the time with me, but thought to ask if someone else has been able to get past the Realtek delay on Lenovo laptops. I know it is a long shot, since laptop manufacturers definitely are not paying attention to such pro audio use cases. I simply got used to working like this with my previous Asus laptop where the audio delay was not noticeable. It was so convenient.

Probably I just need to make a change in my attitude and start using Komplete Audio 6 all the time. By making it a routine, it probably doesn't feel like a hassle anymore after some time.

Options

1 Posts

01-05-2020

US

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-01-05, 1:57 AM

Hello! I was interested in how you got your Clarett functioning with the Lenovo C940. I'm currently using the StarTech adaptor from thunderbolt 1 to the thunderbolt 3 port and the Focusrite Control 2.1.0 Beta Software for windows but nothing is currently working. Any tips on solving this issue? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save