cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 159
Message 1 of 7

CONNECT YOGA 720 TO DELL U2412M MONITOR - HELP!!!

HELP!

I am trying to connect my Dell U2412M 24" monitor to my Lenovo 720 Yoga Laptop.  I need to see a large screen for a spreadsheet for a project that is due immediatelly.

I last used this monitor with my prior coputer, with a simple HDMI cable.  No such port on my 720, as far as I can see...

1.  Is there a hidden HDMI port on the 720- Yoga?

2.  If not, Can I use the regular, "box" USB port?  I do NOT need audio, just video.

3.  What specific cable will work?  Cheap is best, this monitor is not touch screen and was in a vehicle file and may not even work well.  It does turn on though...

4.  MUST I use the USB-C port on the Lenovo 720?  I strongly prefer not to, as it is occupied already, and I don't want to buy an expensive double port gizmo.  I just need to hook up this monitor, and quickly, for video.

5.  If I MUST use the USB-C port on the 720, same question as above, what is the CHEAPEST cable or gizmo that I need?  Where to get (Amazon, Best Buy, Micro Center, etc.).  A link to a specific product would be greatly appreciated.

I am VERY frustrated!  I tried to contact Micro Center, Dell, Lenovo and Best Buy by chat, phone, etc.  No luck with any of those!  So, please help!

Thank you!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 146
Message 2 of 7

Re: CONNECT YOGA 720 TO DELL U2412M MONITOR - HELP!!!

And the answer is ....... #5!

I bought a Trendnet USB-C to HDMI adapter that has worked with everything I throw at it. Can't guarantee it, naturally, but you can probably get it overnighted as it's available from several online retailers.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 136
Message 3 of 7

OK, that looks like it will work! BUT - do I HAVE to use the USB-C port? Can I use the REGULAR USB port? I have a Samsung hard drive hooked up to the USB-C port. Thanks..
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 114
Message 4 of 7

Put the hard drive on the USB 3.0 port. It doesn't need speeds in excess of what that port does. IIRC, USB-A ports aren't fast enough for video. I THINK you'd need an external USB video card and they're quite a bit more expensive. 

My setup: USB-C to HDMI.  USB-3.0 port to a five-port dock. Hard drives and thumb drives and the receiver for my wireless keyboard are all plugged into that. 

newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 112
Message 5 of 7

The portable hard drive ONLY fits into the USB-C port - It is a Samsung T5 solid state drive, and it is used for music production technology that DOES require fast speeds.  Ideally, they will make an affordable Thunderbolt / USB-C audio interface that will occupy that port.

My prior (left on the subway!) $600 Lenovo laptop powered the 24" monitor just fine through HDMI.  Why would USB - regular USB - be any different?  Isn't the lack of an HDMI port on the $1500 Yoga a step backwards?  I'm not watching videos or doing gaming on the large monitor - it's for music software DAW, Sibelius, etc.

But I think you are saying the 24" monitor just won't work at all, period, on a regular USB port without an expensive sound card, correct?

So I have to spend yet more money for some sort of USB-C "hub" - does such a thing even exist?

Thanks....

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 93
Message 6 of 7

You'd do fine with a USB-C to USB-3.0 adapter for the hard drive so it can connect to the USB 3.0 port..  USB 3.0 is fast enough for data. Raw video, not so much. It's the cheapest way to go. Though Lenovo makes USB-C docks that'll run your video and your hard drive just fine. You said you needed a fast solution. That's what I gave you. If you have the time to order a dock, then by all means, do that. I was thinking time was an issue. 

newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 80
Message 7 of 7

I have another hard drive that is USB 3.0.  The Samsung T5 is for the heavy duty music that works better with the USB-C.  Latency is a problem with any USB.  But you're right - the immediate need for the monitor is somehting that I can do without the T5 anyway.  But for the future, it's what I'll need - both the big monitor and the T5, apparently sharding the same USB-C port - is this possible?  Why did they cut the HDMI, anyway?  There's plenty of room for it.  For $1500 bucks they can't say it was too expensive.  This is supposedly a top of the line machine - why do I have to jump through hoops to make it behave like a top of the line machine?  I have an Apple iPad Pro 12.9 that has a better aspect ratio than this thing's ubiquitous 16:9, which is useless for legal work and music work - it's for watching movies.

Am I better off getting a different monitor?  I tried those "USB Monitors," and they suck.  Is there anything else?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors