Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,862
Message 11 of 25

Re: CPU Throttling on Intel 8th Gen Yoga 520

That's not only the cooling system, because they could easily allow the CPU to be 10c-15c hotter without being extremely noticeable on the outside by the user - that's a matter of marketing, most users (who are casual users), will prefer prolonged battery life over absolute performance, and I can understand that, my only complaint is that Lenovo should've implemented an option for power users to change that on the BIOS.
EERGUN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,856
Message 12 of 25

Merhaba,

Sorununuz çözüldü mü ? Çözüldüyse neler yaptınız bu aşamada.. Garantiye göndermeme rağmen sadece fanı değiştirip yollamışlar fakat problem devam ediyor
millar14
Punch Card
Views: 1,626
Message 13 of 25

Hi, I had a Lenovo Yoga 500 with the similar problem. At 40% on battery power the cpu would throttle from 2ghz (it was only an i3) to 500mhz! And it was virtually unusable at this Frequency. Anyway, i too used throttlestop and it worked fine. I had a 3 year warranty from the store i purchased the machine from and since i liked the laptop i thought I'd continue using throttlestop and surely with time Lenovo would fix this problem through a bios update. But 2.5 years on I was still using throttlestop and Lenovo never bothered addressing the issue, despite long threads on the issue (search y500 throttling). I returned my laptop to the store explaining that it was not fit for purpose and how Lenovo had called the problem a 'feature'. The store honoured the warranty and refunded me. 

Basically what im saying here is:

1) Lenovo will not fix your throttling problem despite customer complaints.

2) Consider returning your laptop if it's within warranty as the developer of ThrottleStop may stop supporting the program or Lenovo/intel may make the program not compatible with the processor. Either way leaving you with a throttled laptop forever.

My new laptop is a dream- it just works.

Thanks

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 1,615
Message 14 of 25

You got a full refund after 2.5 years of using that laptop? That's impressive, will never be able to achieve that in my country.

I generally agree with what youv'e written, but if to be objective, almost all of the models (from diffetent brands) that are using the 8th gen U processors have the throtteling behavior, so for me i chose the lenovo due to better value.

Btw, there is an official tool from Intel that can set some parameters regarding the throttling, never used it but it's genuine.

halukmy
Punch Card
Views: 1,587
Message 15 of 25

throttlestop ile sorun kalmadı =)

thatindianguy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,527
Message 16 of 25

Hello,

I'm having a very similar issue on my Yoga 720.

I have throttlestop installed and turned on but the DPTF drivers still are still causing the CPU to be throttled.

Just wondering, what were the throttlestop settings you used to make your Yoga CPU work normally?

Slazh
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,514
Message 17 of 25

Here are my exact settings

setting.PNG

If I may add, I find that adjusting the speedshift value has the most impact on CPU clocks, 156 being the sweet spot for mine (lower speed shift value = higher clocks). Before enabling the Speedshift option, you have to click 'TPL' then tick 'Speedshift' as well as 'Enable Speedshift when ThrottleStop starts' as shown below.

speedshift.PNG

If you have the time, I'd also recommend downvolting the CPU to keep temperatures down. Hope it helps!

Christof144
What's DOS?
Views: 1,283
Message 18 of 25

Hello,

I want to buy a Yoga 520 with i5 8250. Now I found this thread about the throttling problem. So, if the i5 8250 is throttled, wouldn't it be better and cheaper to take the i3 8130 or did similar throttling problems occur on that too? Is here someone who experienced the i3 8130?

On the cinebench R15 benchmark both have an equal rating for single threading while the i5 is rated much better at multi threading. And if the i5 gets throttled its multi threading performance would be lowered and maybe it could be similar to the i3, assuming the i3 is not throttled.

Thanks in advance.

RussMaf
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,266
Message 19 of 25

The I3 maybe slightly faster at single core if it is able to be kept from throttling. Both of the Cpu's have a 15w tdp and that is how lenovo is throttling its cpu. So once the the power usage goes over 15w on the CPU it is brought back down and keeps at the 15w. So an I3 is able to achieve higher clocks as it only has two cores to push and this requires much less power. So actually the single thread performance on the I3 should be faster than the I5. However the I5 has 4 cores and 8 threads so if you use the CPU for anything that requires more than one core the I5 even at slower clocks will just completely destroy the I3.

Also the CPU is not actually being throttled when according to Intel, as Lenovo is only making sure that the cpu does not pull more than the advertised 15w tdp that Intel states in their specs. So I would still get the I5 over the I3 as it will be much better in almost any situation since most programs do make use of more than the 2 cores that the I3 has.

EERGUN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,064
Message 20 of 25

FOR LENOVO YOGA BIG PROBLEM.. AS SOON AS BIOS UPDATE HAVE TO THIS ERROR.

Ekran Alıntısı.PNG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors