Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Touvan
Paper Tape
Views: 563
Message 21 of 25

Re: CPU Throttling on Intel 8th Gen Yoga 520

If anyone is still looking - I had a similar problem on Yoga 730 15IKB - the CPU would throttle WAY down (like to 400MHz) under any kind of load after a minute or two. The reason it did that was a setting tucked in Lenovo Vantage called "Intelligent Cooling" - which it says is meant to control fan noises. What that seems to do is watch your CPU for certain heat and voltage metrics using Intel power profiles, then when it goes over a certain limit, switch to a different profile and massively reduce the performance of the CPU by under clocking it - in my case down to 400Mhz (according to IETU and ThrottleStop) - to keep it cool, and reduce the need for fans. This was making gaming impossible, and severely limitting my ability to use the laptop for work purposes when compiling code.

Anyway, the solution for me was to simply turn off "Intelligent Cooling," which is anything but. I almost returned the laptop over this, and according to other posts online others have - that feature is bone headed. The right solution is to spend a few cents more on quieter fans.

gnusmag77
Punch Card
Views: 552
Message 22 of 25

What if I have the issue but I don't have Vantage installed?
Touvan
Paper Tape
Views: 502
Message 23 of 25

The setting is in Vantage, but is probably controlled by some Intel subsystem and a registry key. I'd say to install Vantage and see if you can disable the feature.

Pierrecz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 210
Message 24 of 25

Thanks for your help and post.

JLLL
What's DOS?
Views: 32
Message 25 of 25

Same problem here...

I have to install ThrottleStop from TechPowerUp to get the full CPU speed when running those benchmarking programs.

I have the latest Lenovo Vantage installed, but there is no "Intelligent Cooling" setting anywhere.

So the problem is not solved!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors