cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jan101
Paper Tape
Views: 5,961
Message 1 of 10

Can't log in to my computer - won't accept password Help!

Will only take nine characters in the password box.  My password is ten characters.  ??  Did I press a wrong button?  Caps lock is off.  My computer is a Lenovo Yoga 900 and I am running Windows 10.  

Guru
Views: 5,956
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can't log in to my computer - won't accept password Help!

Are you talking about the Windows 10 logon screen (usually with a pretty picture or default background and white text box in the middle) or did you set up an admin password in the BIOS screen?

If it's Windows, make sure you're looking at a password box and haven't inadvertantly wound up with the PIN box. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Jan101
Paper Tape
Views: 5,945
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for your reply.  Its the picture you get when you first turn on the computer with the name of your computer and the password box underneath.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,920
Message 4 of 10

Hi Jan101,

Welcome to Lenovo Community.
According to Lenovo Community Guidelines, discussions on circumventing passwords are not permitted at Lenovo Community due to the ease in which they can be stolen.
Perhaps if you contact Microsoft they will able to tell you why you can no longer use your regular password. You may be required to use a link or number for your country when calling them. If they can help you recover a way to restore your password, I'm sure they will do so.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

SpywareHammer

Jan101
Paper Tape
Views: 5,905
Message 5 of 10

Hi

Looked on YouTube.  Said to click on Ease of Access icon (bottom right corner of log on screen) then click on On-Screen Keyboard.  When I did this I was able to enter my password and log on.  But, when I try to enter my password for websites that I use I can only type in so many characters and no more?   

Guru
Views: 5,900
Message 6 of 10

Try a different browser.

What happens if you just open up Notepad and type something there?

Jan101
Paper Tape
Views: 5,890
Message 7 of 10

If I switch to tablet mode I can enter my log on password and also the passwords to my web sites.  I have a Lenovo yoga 900 which if you turn the screen backwards it turns into a tablet.  In this mode I have no problems as a keyboard comes up automatically on the screen.  Like I say, in the other mode I can only type nine characters into the password boxes.  It does not affect other writing - only passwords.  

Guru
Views: 5,882
Message 8 of 10

Been researching this most of the afternoon. It's the inability to type website passwords that's baffling. 

1. Have you tried a different browser?

2. Does it fail in Safe Mode?

3. Have you tried an external keyboard (not the virtual one, but a USB keyboard)?

4. Can you type a password into Notepad, copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into a website password box?

5. Go into Settings > System > Time and Language and see if all those settings are correct.

6. Are the 9th and/or 10th characters of your Windows password the same as for the other websites?

The only consistent solve I can find is to uninstall your keyboard from Device Manager and let WIndows reinstall it after rebooting. 

Wish I could help more.

Jan101
Paper Tape
Views: 5,876
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for your help.  I'm off to Australia tomorrow so don't have time to deal with it right now.  Fortunately I have a smaller computer to take with me.  I will look into it further when I get back.  

Lapperaskap
What's DOS?
Views: 1,306
Message 10 of 10

@Jan101 wrote:

Will only take nine characters in the password box.  My password is ten characters.  ??  Did I press a wrong button?  Caps lock is off.  My computer is a Lenovo Yoga 900 and I am running Windows 10.  

Has this password ever worked on this computer before ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors