cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scootsy
What's DOS?
Views: 36,756
Message 1 of 30

Can you upgrade RAM and to a SSD in a Yoga 2 11 inch?

I've fallen in love with the form factor, but would rather shave off some pennies by installing a SSD and a RAM upgrade myself. Is all the RAM soldered? Can I make these upgrades myself?

scootsy
What's DOS?
Views: 36,325
Message 2 of 30

Re: Can you upgrade RAM and to a SSD in a Yoga 2 11 inch?

I looked through documentation and it indicated that the Yoga 2 11 inch had a max of 4Gb RAM. Is that max from manufacture? Could I manually add more (preferably without soldering), or can the computer not function properly with any more than that?

Moderator comment: Please refrain from bumping your thread more often than 3 days. Doing so, unfairly, pushes other members' threads downwards. Bumping post removed.

caffeinator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 35,228
Message 3 of 30

You can't upgrade the RAM but you can upgrade the hard drive. You must have the Western Digital drive cable. I've added a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB and it now boots in under 6 seconds.

Rendeny
Paper Tape
Views: 35,208
Message 4 of 30

Could you help me out a bit? How exactly do I go about upgrading to an ssd on the yoga 2 11? I opened up the back panel and the hard drive does not seem like it is using a standard sata connection, is there an adapter I need or am I missing something?

caffeinator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 35,194
Message 5 of 30

There are 2 different types of drives in the Yoga. Western Digital and Seagate. The Western Digital cable is the one you need. It plugs into the motherboard with a small plug, but the other end is a standard SATA connection. The Seagate, same motherboard plug, but the plug on the hard drive side is proprietary. 

After replacing, you need to turn off secure boot in the BIOS. After installing Windows, you turn secure boot back on.

Rendeny
Paper Tape
Views: 35,186
Message 6 of 30

Okay thank you so much and if I already have cloned my hard drive to an ssd do I need to worry about toggling secure boot? And also do I need to purchase the western digital cable or is it something already on the mother board?
caffeinator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 35,173
Message 7 of 30

I don't know about the clone issue. I installed from scratch to have a cleaner install. Since mine had the Western Digital drive, I simply removed and attached EVO 840. If you don't have a Seagate drive, you should be good.

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 35,170
Message 8 of 30

I'm trying to add an extra SATA SSD to my Yoga 2 13 with a M.2 SSD.

I was sure from the hardware manual that the WD had the strange connector (SFF-8784) and the Seagate version was normal SATA.

As you experienced the opposite, do you have any pictures of your connectors?

This would be very helpful, before I start ordering the wrong cable ...

caffeinator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 35,165
Message 9 of 30

I'll bring it to work tomorrow and open it up and snap some photos. I work in IT so my pleasure to assist fellow computer enthusiasts.I was looking for info before I bought mine and there was a lot of different information, so I'd be happy to clarify for those that follw.

Emmerx
Token Ring
Views: 35,153
Message 10 of 30

Thanks.

With your experiences I will update our quest:

HDD-SATA-cable-Yoga-11-2-details

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors