cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javaplusjava
Paper Tape
Views: 7,512
Message 21 of 30

Re: Can you upgrade RAM and to a SSD in a Yoga 2 11 inch?

Installed fresh from iso. Fixed my issues!

Siriuswee
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,491
Message 22 of 30

I am a Yoga 2 13 owner. I can confirm that if you have a Seagate hybrid 5mm hard drive, the cable is a standard SATA cable. I just swapped in a Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD, performance is fantastic!
Swail
What's DOS?
Views: 7,272
Message 23 of 30

I wanted to replace the hard drive in our new Yoga 2 11 with a large SSD. I saw that some others reported good success with the Samsung 840 EVO SSDs – they physically fit, and also seem to be compatible, so I bought one. I really appreciate all the great info. Here are some more tips that may help others.

First, I found the Yoga 2 11 to be nicely constructed and reasonably easy to work on considering its compact size.

Tips:

1: You may find Lenovo’s hardware manual useful. It is available from here: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_11_hmm.pdf

2: I first Opened “Control Panel” -> “Device Manager” , and expanded the Disk drives entry in order to verify the brand of hard disk. Fortunately, it was something like “ST500LT032” which is the Seagate drive. (The Western Digital drive’s model name would probably begin with “WD”.)

3: The connectors on the Seagate drive are a perfect match for the Samsung 840 EVO SSD, but the Western Digital drives (according to the manufacturer’s specs) have a different kind of connector. The Yoga 2 11’s hardware manual (see note above) lists the part number of the cable to attach the Seagate (or Samsung 840 EVO) drive to the motherboard if you need it, but I did not investigate how to order one.

4: The 840 EVO is just under 2mm thicker than the original hard drive. There is no interference with the Yoga's bottom cover, but the drive's mounting bracket doesn’t quite touch the frame, so its tabs will bend a bit as you tighten the screws. I suppose you could use little washers to make up the space, but it seemed fine.

5: I already had a license for Acronis True Image 2014. So I used it to make a bootable flash drive with the “rescue” version. I simply booted from the flash drive, backed up the entire hard drive (be sure to include all of the partitions) to a 32 GB SD card (a big flash drive should work too.)

Then I swapped the SSD for the Hard drive, and restored the backup to the SSD.
(Note: To boot from a flash drive, turn the Yoga off, then turn it on by pressing the tiny round button near the power button. That will bring up a menu that allows you to choose an alternative disc to boot, or to enter the BIOS setup.)

6: Speaking of the BIOS setup….After installing the SSD, I did have to enter the BIOS setup, save, and exit in order for the Yoga to recognize the SSD. I didn’t need to manually change any BIOS settings-that seemed to be taken care of automatically. After that, Windows booted right up from the SSD.

The upgraded Yoga is nice and fast and so far, no problems at all. Here’s a picture:

Samsung 840 EVO installed

klinkxxx
Paper Tape
Views: 6,310
Message 24 of 30

Hi guys,

i also want to change my Lenovo Yoga 2 11" drive and i failed.

I removed the covers, unscrewed the drive and see that i have the Seagate HDD.

But it's a standart Sata connector, so i tried to plug an old 2.5" drive to it. The drive is not recognize by the laptop. 

Then i tried to reboot with the small round power button, and disable the secure boot option. And reboot. 

The laptop doesn't see the new drive. In the Bios? No drive. With another drive? No drive...

What did i do wrong???

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

rshino
Paper Tape
Views: 5,487
Message 25 of 30

My Yoga 2 11 has a 500GB UltraSlim WD with SFF-8784 edge connector (below image).  Is the cable used what's referred to as the "Seagate connector" in the response above?  

IMG_9471.JPG

If a Y 2 11 came with a 500GB UltraSlim WD with SFF-8784 edge connector, can the cable be replaced with the SATA version (I beleive the part number is DC02C004Q00) so as to connect a Samsung 840 EVO 500 SSD?  Thanks, -rei

LittleBB
What's DOS?
Views: 5,057
Message 26 of 30

Yes i have a lenovo yoga 2 11 that has a failing drive. i purchased a  a new samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB the failing drive is the Seagate 500Gb with 8Gb nand flash. i have the proper cable and when i connect the SSD and boot the drive goes undectect. i have tried several hard drives and they all seem to be detected just fine. i have verified my drive is function by trying several of my other test machines. in conclusion i belive it is a power issue the SSD shows it is rated DC + 5.0 V - 1.4A. is any able to confirm that the Yoga 2 11 is unable to provide the required power needs for this drive.

On a side note i had a 1A drive laying around it was able to power it just fine.

IvanFerrer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,196
Message 27 of 30

also have a look at comments on Amazon about upgrading this laptop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1E65W87L0X9L8

lakers4sho
Paper Tape
Views: 2,429
Message 28 of 30

Will this SSD model work with the Lenovo Yoga 2 11?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&ignorebbr=1

Thanks.

JoHo
What's DOS?
Views: 2,173
Message 29 of 30

Hi,

first Thanks for all your good explanations!

I need to change the HDD since mine is broken. But I'm wondering about the thickness of HDDs. the original HDD (I have the Seagate) is 5mm. so I'm wondering, if e.g. the Samsung EVO with a thickness of 6.8mm will fit into the housing?

Can you please confirm?

Or did you any modifications with the case/housing?

IvanFerrer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,168
Message 30 of 30

Yes, it does fit.

I installed a Samsung EVO in my Yoga 2 11" without problem (buying a new little cable)

Read the Amazon review linked above. I followed those instructions.

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1E65W87L0X9L8)

Regards.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors