Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifercanfly
What's DOS?
Views: 6,293
Message 1 of 10

Cannot Print to Otherwise-Functioning Network Printer from Yoga 2 Pro

I am having problems printing.

I first tried to set up an HP printer. It hooked up to the network fine, but I couldn't get anything to print from my computer. So I returned it, bought an Epson. Having the identical problem. I have spent more than 5 hours total on the phone with the Epson people. I don't think the problem is with the printer, as I can print to the printer, which is visible on my network, through my phone's Epson utility.

I found this similar situation in the "Windows-Based Tablets" section of this site:

"02-02-2014 08:18 AM

I've got a problem that's driving me crazy. Have serached the web, Lenovo site, Brother site, etc., and tried every suggestion I can find. I've actually got two problems that might be related.

First, I have 3 Windows 8.1 systems. A custom desktop, a Yoga 2 Pro Laptop, and a Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet. I also have a wireless Brother multifunction inkjet, model MFC-J475dw. The software I have installed onthe laptop and tablet is also installed on the desktop. Windows 8.1 is fully updated on all three systmes. All three systems are connected to my home network through a router.

Here's the issue. The desktop can print wirelessly to the printer. The Miix tablet can also print wirelessly to the printer. The Yoga 2 Pro laptop cannot - the printer is offline on the Yoga 2 Pro and nothing I try can get it online. I've insalled and re-installed the Brother software multiple times, both from the DVD that came with the printer and using the most current software downloaded from the Brother website. I've installed the printer manually. I've uninstalled all of the Brother software using the Revo uninstaller and started fresh. Nothing works.

The other problem, also with the Yoga, may or may not be related. Devices and Printers under Control Panel opens very slowly. I see on the web that this is sometimes cuased by Bluetooth services not being started automatically. I've tried that solution - no luck. One interesting thing. I downloaed "Process Monitor" from the Mcrosoft website to see if I could determne what's slowing down Devices and Printers. When the "Process Monitor" is actively capturing, the Devices and Printers opens quickly. In other words, something is different when I run Process Monitor that causes Devices and Printers to open normally.

Can anyone suggest some things I might try to solve either or both of the problems I'm having.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions."

I have installed the recent BIOS drivers update and the Intel Wireless LAN one. No dice (although I did not uninstall and reinstall the printer this time-- yet).

Here's hoping I needn't return yet another machine! Thanks in advance for your assistance.

astevens16
What's DOS?
Views: 6,160
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cannot Print to Otherwise-Functioning Network Printer from Yoga 2 Pro

Anyone at Lenovo want to respond to this? I'm having this problem to, and it's driving me nuts. Not useful to have a laptop I can't print from.

jennifercanfly
What's DOS?
Views: 6,157
Message 3 of 10

Really beginning to regret buying this computer.

astevens16
What's DOS?
Views: 6,153
Message 4 of 10

I know. I'm so disappointed. Bluetooth issue, yellow issue, resolution issue, and now this.
Nahuatl
What's DOS?
Views: 6,092
Message 5 of 10

So why is there no solution presented for this problem?  I see that I am not the only one with the issue.

@jennifercanfly wrote:

I am having problems printing.

I first tried to set up an HP printer. It hooked up to the network fine, but I couldn't get anything to print from my computer. So I returned it, bought an Epson. Having the identical problem. I have spent more than 5 hours total on the phone with the Epson people. I don't think the problem is with the printer, as I can print to the printer, which is visible on my network, through my phone's Epson utility.

I found this similar situation in the "Windows-Based Tablets" section of this site:

"02-02-2014 08:18 AM

I've got a problem that's driving me crazy. Have serached the web, Lenovo site, Brother site, etc., and tried every suggestion I can find. I've actually got two problems that might be related.

First, I have 3 Windows 8.1 systems. A custom desktop, a Yoga 2 Pro Laptop, and a Lenovo Miix 2 8 tablet. I also have a wireless Brother multifunction inkjet, model MFC-J475dw. The software I have installed onthe laptop and tablet is also installed on the desktop. Windows 8.1 is fully updated on all three systmes. All three systems are connected to my home network through a router.

Here's the issue. The desktop can print wirelessly to the printer. The Miix tablet can also print wirelessly to the printer. The Yoga 2 Pro laptop cannot - the printer is offline on the Yoga 2 Pro and nothing I try can get it online. I've insalled and re-installed the Brother software multiple times, both from the DVD that came with the printer and using the most current software downloaded from the Brother website. I've installed the printer manually. I've uninstalled all of the Brother software using the Revo uninstaller and started fresh. Nothing works.

The other problem, also with the Yoga, may or may not be related. Devices and Printers under Control Panel opens very slowly. I see on the web that this is sometimes cuased by Bluetooth services not being started automatically. I've tried that solution - no luck. One interesting thing. I downloaed "Process Monitor" from the Mcrosoft website to see if I could determne what's slowing down Devices and Printers. When the "Process Monitor" is actively capturing, the Devices and Printers opens quickly. In other words, something is different when I run Process Monitor that causes Devices and Printers to open normally.

Can anyone suggest some things I might try to solve either or both of the problems I'm having.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions."

I have installed the recent BIOS drivers update and the Intel Wireless LAN one. No dice (although I did not uninstall and reinstall the printer this time-- yet).

Here's hoping I needn't return yet another machine! Thanks in advance for your assistance.

ogman1
Punch Card
Views: 5,956
Message 6 of 10

Same problem here with the Yoga 3 Pro. No solution in sight. I don't understand why an iPad can print to my network printers, but my Yoga can't.
blero
WWAN
Views: 5,940
Message 7 of 10

Hello,

Because it's a Windows thing.

And Lenovo has nothing to do with it.

You're not alone, there are threads about this problem all over the Internet:

https://www.google.fr/#q=offline+network++printer+windows+8+10

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f401168-0c4b-431e-a04d-71973eab58d6/win-8-and-81-...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/network-printer-shows-offline-on...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2961042

https://www.google.fr/#q=snmp+status+enabled&start=10

If you don't want to go through all this, here's a quick and temporary fix: restart the Windows Spooler (spoolsv.exe). It'll have to be done each time you logon, though.

ogman1
Punch Card
Views: 5,930
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for that, but I think I've solved it. I added a new tcp/ip port and turned off SNMP. So far, so good.

I know it's a Microsoft problem, but I can't really let Lenovo or any other manufacturer, off the hook. They know the problem exists and affects a lot of their customers. They need to either pressure Microsoft to fix it or do it themselves. When I buy a machine, I expect it to function normally and I don't care who makes that happen. I can just imagine how this is affecting average users who have no idea how to research and fix problems on their own. Why would any company want to allow customers to be frustrated like that? For that matter, why would any customer ever buy again from a company that allowed that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,918
Message 9 of 10

Hi all,

I do not work for Lenovo. I am a volunteer. Please be aware that anti-virus and firewalls WILL interfere with printer installations. Disable both (and other security) temporarily when doing the printer installations. After enabling, make sure your AV and firewall are not blocking the printer.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

HomeOffice1
Paper Tape
Views: 3,642
Message 10 of 10

After days of reloading software and restoring my computer twice I found it was my Mcfee firewall causing the problem on my private network.  I restored defaults  (that I hadn't changed) and my printers work!

Best wishes and good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors