Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

11-25-2013

Colorado, USA

34 Signins

223 Page Views

• Views: 223
  • Message 1 of 12

Chances of getting a perfect Yoga 2 Pro

2013-12-21, 20:42 PM
So reading the dozens of issues some Y2Ps have, it seems really unlikely you will actually get a completely flawless Y2P if you buy one. How correct am I in assuming this? My Y2P only has the waking up in a backpack issue, which I can live with because hibernate is still pretty fast and doesn't have that problem. So I'm afraid of exchanging it and getting one with a worse problem that I can't live with and repeating over and over and losing my sanity. I've seen a lot of people on here on their third Y2P and still having problems. Thoughts?
Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Chances of getting a perfect Yoga 2 Pro

2013-12-21, 21:43 PM

If waking up in your backpack is the only problem you have I recommend you keeping it. That isn't so much a bug as the fact you probably shouldn't have a running computer, asleep or not, in your backpack (especially one that boots in about 5 seconds anyway.)

Options

8 Posts

11-16-2013

Hong Kong

10 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 3 of 12

2013-12-22, 6:21 AM

I am a user of Y2P and I'm new to Lenovo, absolutely not a Lenovo fans and so I'm not intending to defend for Lenovo. But it sounds interesting to me that you read all the "complain" threads here and make the conclusion that no Y2P is perfect. Do you really think people around here (including you and me) already represents a major portion of all the buyers? 

Official forums are places for us to "complain" or ask about the technical things because we want the staff from Lenovo to help us or at least let them know about the problem. You seldom see people coming here to praise, you may see more on other forums but certainly not this official one.

I would say AMONG the registered buyers in this forum, chance of getting a perfect Yoga 2 Pro is low, because one having a perfect Y2P will not bother to visit the official forum, and they are the major portion, not us. 

Options

22 Posts

11-25-2013

Colorado, USA

34 Signins

223 Page Views

• Views: 223
  • Message 4 of 12

2013-12-22, 11:51 AM

Both of you make excellent points.  However, think about it; yes this is an official forum to "complain", but there are quite a few people on here saying they're on their third Y2P.  That's just bad!

Options

254 Posts

11-09-2013

Charlotte, NC

339 Signins

2304 Page Views

• Views: 2304
  • Message 5 of 12

2013-12-22, 12:51 PM

Go to any forum for any manufacturer right now and you will see the same kind of complaints.  This is cutting edge stuff sold at very slim margins.

As before if the only thing wrong is the fact it responds poorly to something you shouldn't do anyway, keep it.

Options

14 Posts

07-23-2009

U.S.

54 Signins

288 Page Views

• Views: 288
  • Message 6 of 12

2014-01-01, 6:45 AM

I think I got a perfect one.  I don't have the wifi problem, the yellow problem, or the wakeup problem.  I did have a bluetooth problem and  performance problems, especially when running in any mode but laptop mode.  However, turning off DPTF in the bios fixed both issues.   I kind of suspect that DPTF is at the root of a lot of these strange type problems.  Just for the heck of it, if you are having strange issues, try turning it off in the bios.  It's supposed to slow down the processor in modes where it's harder to cool (i.e. anything other than laptop mode), but it must do so in a very strange manner.  Usually this is done by lowering the clock speed of the processor, which results in a higher CPU usage percentage showing in things like task manager for an equivelent workload, which makes sense because a slower CPU would show as more busy than a faster one with an equivalent amount of work to do.  However, even though I had bad performance problems in these other modes with DPTF enabled  the CPU usage still showed very low, which is what threw me off the trail initially that CPU throttling was the culprit. 

I still don't know how DPTF slows down the CPU and causes CPU related performance problems without the CPU showing excessively busy in task manager, but it does.  Perhaps it's doing something that's causing interrupts to be lost, which would explain some of the funky behavior.  In any event it's worth a try.   I've not noticed any excessive heat build up in these alternate modes after doing this, but I'm not sure I've run something so CPU bound in those modes that it could overheat.   Tablet mode is probably the mode most susceptable to heat issues as the nominal underside of the laptop, where the vents are, is covered by the back of the screen, so I'd suggest being careful to check and see that it's not getting too hot in that mode of you disable DPTF.

Also, if you have the wakeup problem make sure that you have Intel Smart Connect Technology turned off.

Options

38 Posts

12-27-2013

Virginia

81 Signins

626 Page Views

• Views: 626
  • Message 7 of 12

2014-01-01, 11:29 AM

I would add that it appears from many of these post that most forum users are very tech savvy, or 'Power Users' We expect a lot more from our machine, so it's easier to find things to complain about.

I managed to disable my physical keyboard on the 2nd day I owned mine, deleting bloatware or something. I was guilty of tearing through the control panel before even opening the manual. Didn't even know about the 'Novo' button yet.

There seems to be nothing wrong with my Y2P that isn't a W8 problem / annoyance.

I was very surprised when my keyboard failed 2 days after Christmas  that I was able to get Lenovo tech support on the phone after only a 3 minute wait. They walked me through the usual suspects, did a remote control, and did a factory reset as a last resort. A very good support experience, to my amazement.

At that time I became a big fan of the Novo key. Since then I'm regularly making system backups to a thumb drive before making any major changes, especially device drivers, etc.

"I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself." - Oscar Wilde
Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 8 of 12

2014-01-01, 15:11 PM

I program and even made a few optimization programs for the yoga and I personally regret this purchase. This has been one of the worst purchases I have made in my life.

Options

27 Posts

12-14-2013

United States

24 Signins

419 Page Views

• Views: 419
  • Message 9 of 12

2014-01-01, 17:42 PM

Well Comodo can make your Y2P not function.

The screen bleeds on almost all of them to a certain extent. Not really Lenovo's fault, that would be the screen manufacturer's fault, and it's very common among all IPS/PLS screens. Especially LED lit ones.

I don't have the wifi problem.

The yellow problem doesn't really bother me, bleeding is more annoying and my #1 problem but it is remedied for the most part by adjusting brightness depending on lighting conditions. My 1st Y2P also had bleeding in the same spots.

Build quality seems pretty low to me, though I might be wrong just basing it off how it feels, I just feel like I could accidentally break it easily. Anyway, I'm probably going to sell mine soon and take a little bit of a hit on what I paid for it.

I wish professional reviewers would do a better job on reviewing stuff, because most of the time I just can't trust them at all.   

Options

76 Posts

10-28-2013

Lynbrook, NY

76 Signins

1282 Page Views

• Views: 1282
  • Message 10 of 12

2014-01-01, 18:06 PM

I would just give it a try.  If you don't like it, you can return it.  Best advice is to try it yourself.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms