Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 5 (4,871 Views)

Change Boot Order of Yoga 2 Pro

Hello:

On my Yoga 2 Pro, I have already used the Novo One Key recovery system to create a full image backup of my C: Drive, which was copied to a portable 500GB USB based disk drive  As long as the computer can do a cold boot using the one key Novo button, all is well and I can restore my system.

I did read that in some cases, the one key recovery might fail if the hard drive is damaged and is replaced by a blank hard drive.

So I created a Windows 8.1 bootable repair thumb drive (USB) which would allow a restore from an image backup.  To use this repair drive requires that the system will boot from the USB thumb drive.

The default boot order places the USB drive down the list.  Does anyone know of any issues if I change the USB drive to be the first in line for a boot?

Regards,

Rich Locus

Fanfold Paper
Message 2 of 5 (4,868 Views)

Re: Change Boot Order of Yoga 2 Pro

hello, how to create a full image backup of my C: Drive? did you mean that you use the Novo to make a copy of all your C dirve files to external disk, and then use the Novo to recover the whole system? In this case, you key files are backed up in extrnal disk, and the recovery operation erase all your data in C drive and put it back to factory mode, right?

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 5 (4,852 Views)

Hello:

Thanks for your post.  There is nothing wrong with my system now, but in the past on other computers, I lost 2 hard drives.  I just want to make sure that if my drive fails on my awesome Yota 2 Pro (Yes, that's a joke) , I just pop in another one and use the one-key restore if it will work.  If it doesn't work, I want to be able to boot from a USB thumb drive, and then restore ALL my files from the image backup, including my programs, settings, My Documents, etc.

Hope that clears up your question.

Best,

Rich Locus

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 5 (4,846 Views)

well, I am not very sure about how Novo works. But I know how to realize what you want. Basically, you should modify your BOIS to enable USB bootup and put USB on priority. Then you can create an image of your system by other softwares, such as Norton Ghost. YOU can simply burn a CD disk or a USB with your image file and Ghost inside. Plugin in your USB and boost your system, it will automatically load your Ghost and just select your image for recovery. That's what I did several years ago. I do not know the advances of those techniques, may be there are easier tools existing right now
Paper Tape
Message 5 of 5 (4,794 Views)

Kudos to both of you that responded to my post.  After some research, I did change the BIOS order of my Yoga 2 Pro so it would boot first from the USB drive.  Then, I found an article on how to make an image backup using standard Windows 8.1 functionality (no need for Ghost or other software).  Here's a link that shows how to use the full image backup feature, introduced in Windows 7, for Windows 8.1.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

Again, I would only use this in the case that my one-key novo restore didn't work.  So now I have two levels of defense against a hard drive failure.... one-key and standard Windows System Image Backup.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Regards,

Rich Locus

Top kudoed Authors