cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Juza
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,226
Message 1 of 10

Charging Yoga 910 with power bank or car charger?

Has anyone tried to charge the Yoga 910 with a USB-C power bank or a USB-C car charger? does it work?

Lenovo Employee melon
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,147
Message 2 of 10

Re: Charging Yoga 910 with power bank or car charger?

It won't work if the adaptor cannot reach 20v.

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,786
Message 3 of 10

Are there any known power banks that can supply the required 20v to the yoga 910 charging connector?

Guru
Views: 1,770
Message 4 of 10

@Juza wrote:

Has anyone tried to charge the Yoga 910 with a USB-C power bank or a USB-C car charger? does it work?

I did find this for automobile use, but it's a bit pricey.  Same for portable battery solutions that could charge a 910. As mentioned above, the kicker is finding solutions that have USB-C and spit out 20v at around 3 amps. 

Easier/cheaper option is to use an inverter and the 910's standard power supply. My truck has an inverter built-in, so I just plug the 910's power supply into that and off I go.  Bonus about using an inverter is that it's handy for a lot of other AC things when you're on the road.

I do miss my Dell slim travel power supply. It had both an AC cord and a 12v lighter socket cord. Pretty sure someone will trot one of those out once USB-C gets a little more mainstream (if they haven't already). Until then, the inverter works fine in the truck and there are more and more AC sockets on planes. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
island
Punch Card
Views: 1,749
Message 5 of 10

The problem with the inverter solution that takes a DC battery and converts it to AC and then uses the yoga's power adapter to convert AC back to DC is that you lose a lot of efficiency, as I understand it. There's an amazon review of the chargetech that goes into great detail and tests with a scope, etc. and talks about two drawbacks which concern me with that, compared with dell's power companion for example which can feed the dell laptops direct dc current.

1.) the review talks about the ac output power from the chargetech as very square vs. sine wave which might be hard on the yoga power adapter vs. real ac power. Would this be a concern? Would it only risk hurting the yoga power brick (external) or would it put any risk to the yoga itself? (with UPS solutions for workstations in the past I've looked for "pure sinewave" etc. to mimic real AC to be good to desktop power supplies... this seems to be harder to find when looking for something small and portable. Not sure if it's a concern or if the laptop power bricks can cope fine with the "square" input power.)

2.) there are runtimes provided in the review which show efficiency might drop by half with the dc-ac-dc conversion and non-pure sinewave. I'm not an electrical engineer, so correct me if I'm wrong. This would mean having to carry a battery twice the size or that many more of them than if a dc battery could supply the correct voltage over the usb-c charging port.

What input voltage(s) does the 910 require? Is it still a dual voltage input like the older 900 that is difficult to supply, or is the usb-c charging port more standard?

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,746
Message 6 of 10

[quote]I did find this for automobile use, but it's a bit pricey. [/quote]

If that car charger is verified as working, I wonder if I could also feed it 12v from a ravpower that is capeable of suppling specific voltages to that car charger (my existing ravpower can supply either 12v or 20v and I currently supply my yoga2 pro with 20v from it which has the old style rectangular lenovo power input plug.) Is that car charger doing something complicated to make it compatible with the yoga 910?

Have also asked ravpower if they have anything for the 910. The answer was no for the 900 when I asked a year ago, but I've been happy with their 20v solution for my yoga 2 pro.

This model: https://www.ravpower.com/dp/B01LRQDAEI?ref=emc_b_5_t says it has:

USB Output:3.4A Total (Each 2.4A Max) Type C Output: DC 5V/3A,9V/2A,15V/2A,20V/1.5A

If the 910 requires 20v, it seems to have that option for Type C Output, but I don't know if the 1.5 A would be enough for the yoga 910 to accept it/recognize it or charge the battery while utilizing the internal battery when under heavy usage or charge the battery only when off or not see it at all?

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,741
Message 7 of 10

This is the amazon review which made me want top keep searching for a DC-DC usb-c charging solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1EA3O7ZDL7Z3H/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0116B...

While simply having an ac outlet via inverter would be very flexible and future proof too, I'm concerned with the review's stated:

[quote]When looking at Max loads the AC-27K can provide, here’s the losses:

Pin (Power In) = 95WAC = 118.2VAC @ 0.8037mA ---> (24.17VDC @ 2.20A = Pout (Power Out) = 53.174WDC) ---> 41.83W Diff ---> η (Efficiency) = 0.55 = 55% ---> Pwaste (Power Waste) = 43.51W
Pin (Power In) = 85WAC = 118.2VAC @ 0.7191mA ---> (24.17VDC @ 1.99A = Pout (Power Out) = 48.098WDC) ---> 36.90W Diff ---> η (Efficiency) = 0.56 = 56% ---> Pwaste (Power Waste) = 37.79W
[/quote]

Guru
Views: 1,719
Message 8 of 10

RE: Inverters.

Any power brick worth its salt can handle any 110VAC you throw at it.  Say what you will, but in my personal experience, using an inverter workds just fine. Computer runs great. Battery charges. And I'm on the road doing this weekly.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
island
Punch Card
Views: 1,716
Message 9 of 10

Maybe that's the way to go - I haven't tried an inverter battery solution so I don't know. Was only concerned by the review and efficiency numbers there that it might mean less battery life and more weight and cost than if a dc-dc usb-c solution were available. Would be nice to have a standard plug though and not worry about whether it would work for future laptops since it would be just a normal wall plug connection. Do you use the chargetech?

island
Punch Card
Views: 1,696
Message 10 of 10

Chargetech said https://chargetech.com/product/laptop-battery-pack/ will power a yoga 910.

I didn't think it would because the specs don't seem to include a 20v, but chargetech said specifically it will power a yoga 910...

Capacity

36,000mAh
Input / Output

USB Ports Output 5V/2.1A each
DC Output 16.8V/3.5A
DC Input: 12.6V/2.5A

USB Type-C Output 5.9.12v/3A
USB Type-C Input 12.6V/2.5A

For Laptops (excluding Laptops 73W and up)
Compatible MacBooks
USB Type C –
MacBook Retina 12 inch (Pre 2016)
MacBook Pro 13 inch (Pre 2016)

Type T Connector –
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2009 & Older
MacBook 13 inch, 2009 and Older

Type L Connector –
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2012 & Older
MacBook 13 inch, 2009/10
MacBook Air 11/13 inch, 2011 & Older

Not sure -- would like to hear some specific models that work well with the 910 and some runtimes or charge percentages other people have gotten with them.

Top Kudoed Authors