Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KubaM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 611
Message 1 of 6

Charging iPhone 7 from Yoga 90-13ISK Powered USB

Have any of You Dear Yoga 900 users suceeded charging iPhone 7 from Yoga 900-13ISK  powered USB (the one with little battery symbol) while laptop is off and unplugged from the wall?

My laptop is not able to do this, but it charges other devices like Griffin BT headset adapter, Anker Soundcore etc. When laptop is on, USB port works well.

I'm able to charge my iPhone 7 form my wife's Yoga 500-14IBD, which  is equipped with exactly the same powered (always-on) USB 3.0. The only idea I have, is that this strange behaviour is somehow connected with BIOS. I updated my BIOS in November, 2016 to ver. C6CN39WW (Insyde H.20). That version of BIOS has no toggle to enable or disable USB always-on (my wife's Yoga 500 have it). 

I would be grateful if anyone could share their experience about this issue. I need to be sure if it is a software/BIOS/hardware thing, cause my laptop is under warranty. Official support told my that USB 3.0 is not able to charge iPhone 7 at all since it needs 1A and USB 3.0 is 0,9A only, but this is obviously a rubbish since I wouldn't be able to charge it from my wife's Yoga.

Thanks

KubaM

KubaM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 550
Message 2 of 6

Re: Charging iPhone 7 from Yoga 90-13ISK Powered USB

Today I discovered that Samsung S5 is also charged while computer is off and unplugged. So it seems it is issue connected with iPhone only? How is with Your iPhones?

KubaM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 528
Message 3 of 6

Really, nobody has Yoga 900 and iPhone and ever tried to charge it via powered USB port?

Flanimal
Token Ring
Views: 523
Message 4 of 6

I suspect your laptop is not outputing enough current to register. Typically laptops output around 0.5, while decent charger are usually around 2A, which is four times as much power.

As a test, I suggest you trying charging your iphone with any other PC computer - that way you can test whether the likely 0.5A power is enough for your iphone to register that it is charging.

KubaM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 513
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for reply.

As I mentioned above, I have two Yoga laptops: 900-13ISK and 500-14IBD. Both are equipped with USB 3.0 powered USB ports (those with battery symbol next to USB symbol).

While off and unplugged from the wall:

- Yoga 900 charges all devices (they have one thing in common - are contected through USB-microUSB cable) but it cannot charge iPhones (4, 5s, 7) no matter if conected through lightning or old dock cable.

- Yoga 500 charges every device including iPhones

So if all USB 3.0 ports have same output power I dont know what can be the reason.

KubaM
Fanfold Paper
Views: 498
Message 6 of 6

The only thing I would like to know is if powered USB in Yoga 900-13ISK has the ability to charge Apple smartphones at all while laptop is off and unplugged. 

Got no response even from Lenovo support. 

Millions of people uses iPhones so I assume some of Lenovo users including support board members have one. Is it so hard to plug it to Yoga 900 and check?

I'm not sure if my issue is a faulty USB (however it works when laptop is on) or just a problem with BIOS, drivers or Lenovo Settings. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors