02-21-2020

Switzerland

41 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 1 of 4

Charging the C940 15"

2020-07-11, 8:47 AM
I am running and charging my C940 15" with the 230 Watt power supply from Lenovo. Works just fine. Elecjet is selling an adapter converting the Lenovo Slim power plug to USB-C to enable old Lenovo power supplies to be re-used on devices charged via the USB-C port. Just for the sake of experimentation - has anybody tried to charge the C940 15" with this combination? If the device can at all be charged via the USB/TB , 230 Watts should provide enough power. An experimental setup such as this could finally prove whether C940 15" actually meets it's specification sheet for Thunderbolt 3 or whether these sheets are just a (fraudulent?) marketing ploy.
Options

12623 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7218 Signins

748119 Page Views

• Views: 748119
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Charging the C940 15"

2020-07-11, 12:27 PM

Hi Ludwig-1954,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Do take time to check the similar discussion here:

As mentioned by one of our guru, charging via Type C have more positive confirmation in the 14inch than the 15.

Power delivery on the power is more of charging other device and not much for DC-in.

I hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

41 Posts

02-21-2020

Switzerland

41 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-07-12, 8:13 AM
Thank you for your interest. I am well aware of all discussions on this Forum/Topic with regard to this issue. However, I have yet to see a conclusive answer as to whether the C940 15" is or is not chargeable via USB-C/TB3. Whereas I agree that the primary use of PD is delivering power to external devices, the specs of USB-PD clearly mention BOTH directions of power flow (vi. https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd for example). The Lenovo specs also mention 100W PD which is an awful lot of power to be delivered just outwardly. However, I am currently also testing this with daisy chained non powered docking stations under full load. What I am trying to clarify is whether the USB-charging question on C940 is just a question of enough power delivered to the device or whether it is fully disabled. As I do not really want to risk frying my device, I am asking whether somebody else has tried such a setup earlier. An official word from Lenovo would help. .
Options

12623 Posts

11-30-2015

Philippines

7218 Signins

748119 Page Views

• Views: 748119
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-07-13, 4:06 AM

Hi Ludwig-1954,

Greetings.

From the discussion linked are shared experiences of fellow members so you may relate to their trials without risking any attempt to damage the port.

Officially, here is the user guide (page 3) that described the functions intended on the Type C port by the manufacturer.

Connect external display, storage, or data devices. 

Note: An appropriate adapter may be needed for connecting external devices. 

• Support data transfer rates up to 40 Gbps for Thunderbolt 3. 

• Support DisplayPort 1.4. 

• Provide up to 5 V, 3 A power output.

DC in charging is not mentioned so it is advised to follow laptop charging through its intended power connector port.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms