Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mamii13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 813
Message 1 of 5

Converting records to mp3

I have a USB turntable and about 100 old records I want to transfer to MP3 format.  When I connect to either of the two USB ports on my Yoga 900, the Yoga doesn't recognize anything is attached to the port.  The turntable also has red and white output lines to be used with speakers, but the instructions say to record to my computer via the USB cable.  Additional info:  I have Audacity installed on my notebook and I'm using Windows 10.  

Am I doing something wrong with the USB cable?  Do I need an additional connector or device between the record player and my laptop via either the USB cable or the red and white output lines?

I appreciate any suggestions.

serolfdivad
Paper Tape
Views: 763
Message 2 of 5

Re: Converting records to mp3

Is the turntable plugged into an AC outlet when you plug the USB cable in? If not, try that. If the turnable gets its power from the USB port itself, then you might try plugging it into a powered hub and connecting that to the computer. Could be the laptop doesn't provide enough juice to the USB port to power the turtable. If the above fails or is not relevant, my next recommendation would be to start by downloading and installing the drivers for the turntable. If you don't have the disk that came with your turntable, go out to the manufacturer's website and look for driverss there. Even if you do have the driver disk, you might need newer drivers so visit the website in any case. Once the drivers are installed go ahead and plug the USB cable in. There may even be an installer associated with the turbtable that will prompt you when to connect the USB cable. 

If that doesn't work, try connecting the device to another computer and see if it recognizes it. If not, then it could be that the turtable itself is bad.

mamii13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 759
Message 3 of 5

The turntable powers from an AC outlet.  The turntable has never been used, it has been sitting in its original packaging for 2 or 3 years, so I don't think it's bad.  The disc that came with it is for Audacity, but I have a version of audacity on my Lenovo that is later the version on the disc; I downloaded online a few months ago.

I had trouble in the past trying to convert audio tapes via USB to my Lenovo and had to use another computer--a desk top.  But, the desktop is cumbersome to use for so many records, so I'm really trying to make my Lenovo work.

I've found when using my Lenovo for power point presentations that I was unable to connect the projector to my Lenovo directly via a USB line, instead I had to connect the USB line from the projector to a dongle than fit in another port on my Lenovo that was not USB.  That's why I'm wondering if that might be my problem--that maybe I need another device or connector between the Lenovo and the turntable.  And, I'm wondering if my Lenovo is designed for inputting sound from an external device (e.g., turntable) through something other than one of the USB ports.

If that even makes sense?  Thank you for trying to help me figure this out!

serolfdivad
Paper Tape
Views: 746
Message 4 of 5

If you can't get the turntable to work via USB it might be possible to record through the Laptop's headphone/headset port. You'll need an adapter that goes from the RCA plugs to a 1/8" plug like the one on your laptop. I'm not sure you'll be able to hear anything, though while you record.

If I were doing someting like this I'd record into Audacity and then splice the recording up into tracks and save them as MP3s. A bit of a hassle, to tell the truth. Back in the day I ran a language lab and converted lots of audiotaped material to MP3 in a similar fashion, though I did it on a dektop machine with a separate line-in and thus was able to listen to what I was recording.

In all honestly, you'd be best trying to get the turntable working on your desktop first. If nothing you do can get it to work, it may be that you got a bad unit out of the box.

mamii13
Fanfold Paper
Views: 743
Message 5 of 5

That makes sense.  I'll go by Radio Shack and see if they have and adapter to take the RCA plugs to the 1/8" microphone plug on the side of the Lenovo.  I'll let you know if it works.  Thanks for thinking through this with me.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors