Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gforeman
Paper Tape
Views: 412
Message 1 of 8

DVD RW Drive

Can anyone recommend a good external USB DVD RW drive?
madcratebuilder
Paper Tape
Views: 393
Message 2 of 8

Re: DVD RW Drive

Newegg has several externals starting around $40 usd.  LG has had a long time record of good quality. Rosewill offers good, low cost items.  The $40 Rosewill comes with Nero and is avaliable in different colors.  I may order it soon myself.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827190024

gforeman
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 3 of 8

Thanks madcratebuilder, have not used a Roswell drive before.   Strange Amazon doesn't carry these (why I didn't find them).

Price sure looks good.

CeruleanBlue
Punch Card
Views: 377
Message 4 of 8

I bought this external DVD from Amazon (Samsung USB 2.0 Ultra Portable External DVD Writer Model SE-218CB/RSBS). Worked right out of the box.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 366
Message 5 of 8

I also like the Samsung drive. Unlike many other external drives I have used, this Samsung has never needed more power than my USB port can provide

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 361
Message 6 of 8

I've had the same experience as re Samsung external DVD drives and USB power.

FWIW, I'll add that I've had the best luck with Samsung when booting recovery media on several different Lenovo laptops.  Something about startup timing or ??? prevents otherwise working external drives from booting successfully.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

madcratebuilder
Paper Tape
Views: 351
Message 7 of 8

This is good news as I just ordered that Samsung.  TigerDirect has them on sale (ends today) for $29, also great deal on ADATA 64gb usb3 sticks, $20 after rebate.  0.33 a GB is CHEAP!  I have one ADATA 32GB stick that's almost a year old and works fine.

Vis_Viva
What's DOS?
Views: 306
Message 8 of 8

Actually I have the same question. I’m looking for a good external DVD player that users KNOW works will with the IdeaTab Lynx K3011W (running 32-bit Windows 8).

I've had some trouble with the LG Slim Portable Blu-Ray Multi Drive (CP40NG10) working with my Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011W. It's very intermittent (USUALLY works but not always) and I could not get the bundled (thus free) software to install. I’m still hunting for a good DVD app and using trial versions to find one.

If I could find a more reliable DVD player I’d get it. I’d probably KEEP my current one (and use it on some other machine).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors