Options

4 Posts

11-12-2011

UK

8 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 23

Dear Yoga 2 Pro owners - should I buy this for business use?

2014-02-23, 12:44 PM
I'm a Lawyer and looking for an ultra book to do the majority of my work on.

My only requirements are good keyboard and trackpad, durability, high quality screen to make reading and creating documents as friendly on the eyes as possible, great wireless connection, speed, and for it to last hopefully 2 years before needing an upgrade.

I use acrobat pro and office 2013 extensively.

Will the Yoga 2 Pro be a good choice for me, or should I wait for the thinkpad x1 carbon to be released in my country? (UK).

Thanks for any help you can provide :)
Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 2 of 23

Re: Dear Yoga 2 Pro owners - should I buy this for business use?

2014-02-23, 14:55 PM
The Yoga 2 Pro is really thin and light. It's great for me since I travel a lot. I also need a convertible laptop/tablet hybrid for my work as a software developer. I'm not sure it's ideal for you: the key travel is short (due to the thinness of the design), there is no 5Ghz wireless connection, and the trackpad driver has a few minor bugs.

Office 2013 works great on the Yoga 2 Pro's hi-res display. I haven't tried Acrobat Pro though.

It doesn't really sound like the things that make the Yoga 2 Pro perfect for me really matter much to you. You might be better off with a dedicated laptop rather than a convertible, something like the X1, X240, or T440s. All of those are still thin and light for portability.
Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 3 of 23

2014-02-23, 15:12 PM
  • The 1800p resolution is a gimmick since programs are not really capable with this resolution. That said, you will probably reduce the resolution to at least 1080p or worst. I use 900p because some programs even struggle with 1080p.
  • This model has wifi issues which is present on certain models of routers using 2.4 ghz band. Many have been lucky to be around new routers. However, you cannot tell a hotel, airport or coffee shop to change the router just for you. I personally suffer from wifi issue at my school. I have already made a batch file to reconnect instantly but, this is utter BS for a $1200+ laptop (don't forget tax).
  • The yellow issue is better but not perfect. In some modes, the mustered color is still present. I solved the issue by deleting those power plans from my computer. However, this is not an acceptable solution. That said, even on the fixed power plan, there is a slight green tint on the yellow. Also, Microsoft Office yellow (like the highlighter) looks like crap on all power plans.
  • The backlight on the keyboard is really dull compared to many backlit keyboards.
  • The trackpad deselects what you selects, if you crank up the trackpad speed. For me, the default speed is too slow. (However, it can be fixed by using a dell driver)
  • The micro HDMI slot is too recessed. You will need to buy special cables or cut your cables to fit the yoga.
  • The SD slot has little depth. This means there is not a SD card in the market that will sit flush with the laptop. This is a deal breaker if you want to have an SD card act as a semi-permanent extra storage solution.
  • The trackpad is a grease magnet and will look bad within 72 hours of use.
  • You cannot lock this version of OKR. This means that unlike the previous version (which cannot be installed), anyone can be a di** and reformat your computer with a push of a button.
  • The fan goes crazy within about 30 min of light use.
  • The screen flickers at low brightness.
  • Almost everyone has light bleed on their screen, to some degree.
  • It is impossible to clean smudge marks on the yoga's back shell.
  • There is an overheating issues when the yoga is placed inside a bag, while in sleep mode.
  • The edges chip easily.
  • The Bluetooth constantly disconnect and a Bluetooth mouse is practically un-usable, useless you have a USB receiver (taking up 1 of 2 USB ports).
  • Speaking of which, 2 USB ports.... Really? Also, why can't they both be USB 3.0? Or the USB 2.0 also be an eSATA/USB combo jack?
  • Part of the keyboard driver, built into the Utility.exe file of the Power Management software, sucks. There are certain keys that will do nothing 1/2 the time they are pressed. The airplane mode key is one of them.
  • Lenovo custom install makes upgrading to a different version of windows difficult. To upgrade to Windows 8.1. Pro for example, you will need to jump through hoops and suffer from a failed update(s) to actually get Windows 8.1 Pro. I am lucky the feature I wanted works (in spite of the failed updates) but, I would not be surprise if certain features don't work since the upgrade failed 3x.
  • Oh and if you are a Dargon users, I hope you don't plan on updating your program. However, I will leave it at that since software can be uninstalled, like the buggy phone companion software (which sporadically works on limited ICS versions and rare JB versions). 
Options

61 Posts

02-19-2014

Florida, USA

131 Signins

888 Page Views

• Views: 888
  • Message 4 of 23

2014-02-23, 20:22 PM

There is a ThinkPad Yoga 2 modle now that offers a more durable build and better keyboard and trackpad. It is a standard 1080P display and not the ultra high resloution of the IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro.

The ThinkPad Yoga might be a better fit for you.

For what is't worth I have the Idea Pad Yoga 2 and have no Wifi or anything else with my Yoga 2 pro. Downloading the latest Power Manager and setting it to anything other than Stable mode took care of the yellow color issue for me. I'm very happy with my Lenovo.

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Message 5 of 23

2014-02-23, 20:31 PM

wrote:

There is a ThinkPad Yoga 2 modle now that offers a more durable build and better keyboard and trackpad. It is a standard 1080P display and not the ultra high resloution of the IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro.

The ThinkPad Yoga (doesn't actually have a '2' in the name yet :smileyhappy:) is thicker and heavier with a smaller screen than the Yoga 2 Pro. I hear that it does have a nicer keyboard than that Yoga 2 Pro. However, the biggest feature of the ThinkPad Yoga is its active digitizer with stylus (i.e. you can use the stylus to write on the screen like a pen). That's a cool feature for taking notes or making art but it wasn't in the original poster's wish list.

It still feels to me like a regular laptop might be a better fit...unless the OP returns and says a touchscreen and/or digitizer would be desirable :smileywink:

Options

61 Posts

02-19-2014

Florida, USA

131 Signins

888 Page Views

• Views: 888
  • Message 6 of 23

2014-02-23, 21:18 PM

GrisJuan, Sorry yeah all these different yoga modles can get confusing...

The IdeaPad Yoga 2 might be a fine fit. But sense he spicifically mentioned good keyboard, trackpad abd durability, i figured he may want to took at the new ThinkPad Yoga. I think that either can work very well as a regular Ultrbook laptop, just with a little added flexibility. Issueme if he asking about the Yoga line he finds this at least  a bit appelaing. ;-)

but you right those other laptops are great options too.

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Message 7 of 23

2014-02-23, 21:37 PM

wrote:

The IdeaPad Yoga 2 might be a fine fit.

This gets really confusing now. There are actually two "IdeaPad Yoga 2" models that are *not* the "IdeaPad Yoga 2 Pro" nor the "ThinkPad Yoga". The "IdeaPad Yoga 2 (11 inch)" is available now in the US and the "IdeaPad Yoga 2 (13 inch)" should be available soon. The 11 inch uses the lower-performance Pentium CPU while the 13 inch should be a 4th generation core i-series CPU. The "Yoga 2 (13 inch)" will be thicker and heavier than the "Yoga 2 Pro" with a 1920x1080 screen and a mechanical hard drive. Both of these "Yoga 2" models will be more budget friendly than the "Yoga 2 Pro".

Options

20 Posts

02-23-2014

US

70 Signins

1014 Page Views

• Views: 1014
  • Message 8 of 23

2014-02-23, 21:56 PM

tldr, I'm on the same quest.  I've been using a 4 year old HP Elitebook and have been very happy.  So far, I've tried the following laptops/Ultrabooks:

- Sony Vaio Flip 15 (Pros = like flip, great GPU, Cons = too heavy, Sony going out of PC business)

- Razer Blade 14 (Pros = excellent build quality, great GPU, Cons = only 1600x900, no touchscreen)

- Thinkpad Yoga (Pros = business oriented, tablet mode, Cons = 1st unit wouldn't wakeup from sleep, 2nd unit wouldn't right click at all)

- Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro

Now, I'm seriously working with the Yoga 2 Pro.  I've had a lot of the initial problems that folks have mentioned, and I've just spent 1.5 weeks with this on the road from the U.S. to Europe and back.  User "indest" has detailed his issues, and I'm going to compile mine for feedback on what I've found and fixed to date. 

Note that I REALLY wanted the Thinkpad Yoga to work, however, 2 failures out of 2 kept it out of consideration :smileysad:.  I'm also looking at the Thinkpad X230 as a possible contender before my return period expires.

Options

27 Posts

11-15-2013

San jose

20 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 9 of 23

2014-02-24, 9:29 AM

indest did a fairly good job on that analysis of the laptop. For me, i LOVE my Yoga 2 Pro but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone really. its has its share of heartaches which really sucks. There are a couple of things that indest noted that i do disagree with though.

- track pad deselecting. This is an issue with a lot of trackpads and more specifically glass trackpads like this one. Glass trackpads have almost the same sensitivity as a smartphones display, so its really easy to deselect something. Its just the nature of the device.

- The wifi issue is a hit or a miss from what i read. The one i have is fine and im using a 4-5 year old router at this point. The one thing that i dont understand right now is that this Laptop wifi card is ac spec meaning dual band, but i can not connect to my 5Ghz band but others using linux can access it. Not sure if its a driver issue or something.

- trackpad being a grease magnet is just the nature of the trackpad. Its glass, just like a modern macbook, but unlike a modern macbook the yoga has a black background meaning smudges are easy to see. The reason why you can't see it on a macbook is because the background behind the glass is a neutral color, but if you wipe it down i guarantee that it'll have just as much grease/oil

- I never have an overheating issue on mine. But i wouldn't be surprised if others did. The laptop can be awaken by a couple of things and if it does become awake then yes it would overheat just like any laptop.

- The micro hdmi is too recessed though you can get it working just by wiggling the connector around a bit. Just be careful not to move it once you get the picture going through. 

- Keyboard backlight, IMO, is perfect. Its only dimmer than most laptops in their brightest setting. The brightest setting i find to be annoying in most laptops. I usually opt out to 75% maximum. The difference between the Yoga and the other is that its either on or off. But for me i can't argue because the brightness is on the backlighting is perfect.

The main drawback from this laptop is bloatware and a lot of proprietary software to just run the **bleep** thing. But, to be fair to lenovo but it is still unexcusable, other OEM's are also doing the same thing with their laptops, but at least Lenovo's version has some usefulness to them. Also considering that you are looking for an ultrabook i imagine you understand that as a drawback from moving to ultrabook you dont expect to be hooking up 5 devices onto this guy.

Honestly, get the Thinkpad X1 Carbon Version 2. The one they just released. I would say get the Yoga 2 Pro if they still had the sale i got mine  (i5, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $1050 you can't beat that period). The X1 Carbon is just cooler in general. Its specs aren't insane beastly in comparison, but it is a much subtle laptop.The only drawback i can think of is the red iconic nipple you get with thinkpads and price/performance ratio. Other than that its not a bad alternative at all. PLUS you get to say "My laptop is made from carbon fiber." That alone is what made me almost buy the X1.

Options

3 Posts

02-23-2014

United States

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 10 of 23

2014-02-24, 16:13 PM

I purchased the top of the line Yoga Pro 13 and the first one had so many problems, even technitician couldn't solve them. I returned it and got a 2nds .......Same kind.  Now, I've had many problem with it also. With the price that I paid, it should have come with an audio card, but, I cannot get my iTunes to play. And, since I purchased a 3 year warranty, and have spent over $250 more to have it worked on and have Sophos installed; I am getting programs and viruses like crazy. I get so many programs that pop up, when I am trying to download an entirely different computer, that I have to be very careful. Then, at the end of the day, I still have 4 or 5 programs, malicious spyware, and, viruses that I cannot work the programs that I want. Also, my camera comes on without me turnning it on and takes my picture!!! Now, what is this about? I have to cut it off 2 or 3 times a day. I called Lenovo support and they took control of my computer.....Then, wanted $179 more to install drivers that it should already have and for me to get full support. 

I really feel like something is wrong with all of the Yoga Pro 13 computers. I am getting paranoid and spending way too much money!

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is Sophos from Staples a good Windows protector from viruses and maleware?
Shouldn't I be able to play my iTunes on my bran new computer? I follow all directions. The music is right in my files.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete