Options

3 Posts

02-23-2014

United States

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 11 of 23

Re: Dear Yoga 2 Pro owners - should I buy this for business use?

2014-02-24, 16:14 PM

No....Read my blog.

Options

3 Posts

02-23-2014

United States

3 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 12 of 23

2014-02-24, 16:16 PM

I have so many things wrong with my Yoga 13 that I am sick of it. Oh.....And, to pay so much money for it, I miss the keyboard backlight.

Options

1725 Posts

08-14-2011

USA

1886 Signins

25513 Page Views

• Views: 25513
  • Message 13 of 23

2014-02-24, 17:31 PM

wrote:

indest did a fairly good job on that analysis of the laptop. For me, i LOVE my Yoga 2 Pro but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone really. its has its share of heartaches which really sucks. There are a couple of things that indest noted that i do disagree with though.

- track pad deselecting. This is an issue with a lot of trackpads and more specifically glass trackpads like this one. Glass trackpads have almost the same sensitivity as a smartphones display, so its really easy to deselect something. Its just the nature of the device.

- The wifi issue is a hit or a miss from what i read. The one i have is fine and im using a 4-5 year old router at this point. The one thing that i dont understand right now is that this Laptop wifi card is ac spec meaning dual band, but i can not connect to my 5Ghz band but others using linux can access it. Not sure if its a driver issue or something.

- trackpad being a grease magnet is just the nature of the trackpad. Its glass, just like a modern macbook, but unlike a modern macbook the yoga has a black background meaning smudges are easy to see. The reason why you can't see it on a macbook is because the background behind the glass is a neutral color, but if you wipe it down i guarantee that it'll have just as much grease/oil

- I never have an overheating issue on mine. But i wouldn't be surprised if others did. The laptop can be awaken by a couple of things and if it does become awake then yes it would overheat just like any laptop.

- The micro hdmi is too recessed though you can get it working just by wiggling the connector around a bit. Just be careful not to move it once you get the picture going through. 

- Keyboard backlight, IMO, is perfect. Its only dimmer than most laptops in their brightest setting. The brightest setting i find to be annoying in most laptops. I usually opt out to 75% maximum. The difference between the Yoga and the other is that its either on or off. But for me i can't argue because the brightness is on the backlighting is perfect.

The main drawback from this laptop is bloatware and a lot of proprietary software to just run the **bleep** thing. But, to be fair to lenovo but it is still unexcusable, other OEM's are also doing the same thing with their laptops, but at least Lenovo's version has some usefulness to them. Also considering that you are looking for an ultrabook i imagine you understand that as a drawback from moving to ultrabook you dont expect to be hooking up 5 devices onto this guy.

Honestly, get the Thinkpad X1 Carbon Version 2. The one they just released. I would say get the Yoga 2 Pro if they still had the sale i got mine  (i5, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD for $1050 you can't beat that period). The X1 Carbon is just cooler in general. Its specs aren't insane beastly in comparison, but it is a much subtle laptop.The only drawback i can think of is the red iconic nipple you get with thinkpads and price/performance ratio. Other than that its not a bad alternative at all. PLUS you get to say "My laptop is made from carbon fiber." That alone is what made me almost buy the X1.

The trackpad being glass and thus causing  the deselect, might be correct. However, after installing the Dell driver, the trackpad works awesome.... This makes me think that the issue is driver based.

Also, I really don't care about the properties of glass.... I would have hoped that Lenovo would have picked a material that would keep the trackpad looking like new for more than 24 hours. It bothers me that after 24 hours of use (with clean hands), my trackpad looks like it has been used for 5 years. Granted, it can be cleaned with tape but, must I spend so much $ on tape to clean this daily?

Anyhow, to each its own, lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wrote:

I purchased the top of the line Yoga Pro 13 and the first one had so many problems, even technitician couldn't solve them. I returned it and got a 2nds .......Same kind.  Now, I've had many problem with it also. With the price that I paid, it should have come with an audio card, but, I cannot get my iTunes to play. And, since I purchased a 3 year warranty, and have spent over $250 more to have it worked on and have Sophos installed; I am getting programs and viruses like crazy. I get so many programs that pop up, when I am trying to download an entirely different computer, that I have to be very careful. Then, at the end of the day, I still have 4 or 5 programs, malicious spyware, and, viruses that I cannot work the programs that I want. Also, my camera comes on without me turnning it on and takes my picture!!! Now, what is this about? I have to cut it off 2 or 3 times a day. I called Lenovo support and they took control of my computer.....Then, wanted $179 more to install drivers that it should already have and for me to get full support. 

I really feel like something is wrong with all of the Yoga Pro 13 computers. I am getting paranoid and spending way too much money!

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is Sophos from Staples a good Windows protector from viruses and maleware?
Shouldn't I be able to play my iTunes on my bran new computer? I follow all directions. The music is right in my files.

Although I don't want to derail this thread, you should use the 1KR system and avoid Sophos.... They suck.... I sugest you install AVAST Free.

Options

27 Posts

11-15-2013

San jose

20 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 14 of 23

2014-02-25, 6:54 AM

Honestly i have to say that a lot of virus programs aren't typially worth getting. I personaly only run windows defender (the ones that come with all Windows 8/8.1 devices) because it is good enough IMO and for using my desktop with only that, i haven't gotten a single virus. I remember there being a thing with Norton Security and McAfee where they actually either falsified virus detections or they actually sent your computer "small" viruses just to seem like it is working. Take it with a grain of salt, but from personal experience i would say that is true because i had computers with those installed and as soon as i did a fresh install without those i never had those issues again. I have never heard Sophos before, so i can't speak for it and about it.

A lot of viruses can be avoided by just not clicking on ads and having auto download on browsers disabled. Another way to limit the possibility of viruses is to not go to sketchy websites, but from my knowledge a lot of the virus infections comes from misclicking an ad which can be avoided by using an AdBlocker of somesort for the browser.

So in general, be careful on what you click on and what websites you go to. If you're mainly just going on FB, YouTube, Gmail, and the such you shouldn't get any viruses. If you're torrenting stuff, then there is a concern there but as long as youre careful about what you download you should be okay. If you arent doing anything out of the ordinary, then (not to point fingers) but the security software you use may be suspect.

Options

27 Posts

11-15-2013

San jose

20 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 15 of 23

2014-02-25, 7:01 AM

To each their own like you said. But i totally forgot that i downloaded the official drivers for my trackpad from the website just so i can get two finger tap to work haha, so ignore that bit. I even got three/four finger swipe as well, but i dont use those at all haha.

Again to each their own, but i like glass trackpads cause i think they're just superior. I dislike how grippy other trackpads can be compared to how smooth glass is because when i try to be price the grippiness just throws me off. Hey at least its better than having a glossy trackpad vs a matte finish haha.

+1 for Avast. I dont use it but i hear good things about it. Avira is also a good choice, but i hate how many pop ups it does. 

Options

61 Posts

02-19-2014

Florida, USA

131 Signins

888 Page Views

• Views: 888
  • Message 16 of 23

2014-02-25, 19:59 PM

Well, as a counterpoint and to add some perspective, let me say my Yoga Pro 2 has been really good for the week I have owned it. No real issues here.

Some of the complaints are a little silly.

- Viruses, really? That has little to do with the laptop, and more to do with the owner.

- With the price that I paid, it should have come with an audio card, but, I cannot get my iTunes to play. don'tknow what you are talking about? Of course the laptop has intergrated audio. You having an issue with iTunesyou have to figure out. Maybe is has something to do with the viruses you are complaining about.

- Where talking about the Yuga 2Pro not the Yoga 13 here, the Y2P has a backlite keyboard.

- USe a microfiber cloth to keep the trackpad (and screen clean).

- It's an Ultrabook, you can't expect it to have 4 USB ports, HDMI & DVI and a bunch of other cinnections. You should know what your getting into when you buy this kind of small form factor laptop.

Every manufacture has it issues, and defective device that get out and have to be replaced. There are lagitimate issues of course. If you get a bad unite replace it (why I got mine from best buy, easy exchange if needed).

Sorry some of you have had bad michines, but like anything else I'm sure there are far more good one, like mine, than bad ones. The internet serves as a megaphone for the unhaooy people. The hapy owners don't bother to jain the forums and tell their story, so they are underrepresented.

Nott saying that most of you don't have lagitamate issues, I'm sure you do. Just trying to add some perspective.

Options

1 Posts

02-25-2014

Winnipeg, Manitoba

1 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 17 of 23

2014-02-25, 20:23 PM

DO NOT BUY THIS FOR BUISNESS IF YOU WISH TO USE CORPORATE WI-FI. It will not work.

I'm new to this form and I'm looking for your help on a Wireless issue with Intel Wireless N-7260 on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. I'll explain our setup first and the troubleshooting I've done on it so far.

Setup -
We have one Sonicpoint -------- (Wireless offered with Sonicwall NSA 2400 Security Appliance).

IAS for wireless authentication.(client machine must be a member of domain to connect to Access Point) We have win8.1 Ent x64 on the lenovo.

Clients -
Most Win7 x64 Ent & Couple of Win8 x64 Ent.

Issue: one of our new laptop Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro wont connect to SonicPoint AP unless I Change the Wireless Mode from 802.11bg to 892.11b, connect to our SonicPoint, Disconnect, change the Wireless mode to 802.11bg and reconnect. It works for couple of days and then I'm doing the same thing I've already done with diconnect\reconnect.

Troubleshooting - Windows 8.1 Ent. X64.

-Updated the drivers.
-Tried Lenovo and Intel drivers.
-Disabled/reenabled wifi adapter.
-Uninstalled/reinstalled wifi adapter drivers.
-Disabled firewall and my Anti Virus (McAfee 8.8)
-Installed Win8.1 Ent. x64
-Restored back the image it came with but then i cant connect to Access Point as it requires IAS authntication and the laptop needs to be joined to domain.

-Laptop have been in for repair and the tech notes said they loaded the 8.1 OS to test and it worked fine. THey lied as the OS and user profile was still intact and im sure they didnt improt the users profile on this laptop. SO they shipped it back without doing anything

- ALl other wireless clients are working as it shoudl so why not Yoga 2 Pro.

Called Tech support and they have no idea what is going on. They dont even understand the wirless mode and its standards so not sure how can they troubleshoot. Aslo their tech hung up on me when he couldnt answer my questions.

Case ID: 8002609356

We were suppose to order 20 of these for our corporate users but i wont pass this laptop to move forward.

Lenovo you need to get your wireless issues in order, Also provide basic training to your support on wireless mode, encryption, standards and how they work together. Do you guys really think without the proper training your clients will be happy? NOT.. Get your stuff in line before you start to loose your customer.

You've lost our business contract...

Options

2 Posts

07-12-2014

atlanta

1 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 18 of 23

2014-07-12, 22:26 PM

Do not usethe Yoga 2 Profor business use, the wireless keyboard and mouse do not funciton.  It is a disastor for business use, get a normal laptop

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 19 of 23

2014-07-13, 5:55 AM

Unless you are attracted to the Yoga's multi mode system, and expect to use it alot for multimedia purposes. Otherwise, i would suggest you get a laptop with slightly lower resolution, i.e. 1920x1080 (FHD). The QHD+ LCD for business purpose is a real overkill (especially if your software don't support this resolution), while the keyboard isn't bad (coming from a ThinkPad user), the cramped right shift and enter key does take some getting use to.

When i work on my Yoga 2 Pro for extended time, i use a ThinkPad Bluetooth keyboard with trackpoint, because while the trackpad on the Yoga 2 Pro is pretty good, it is not as great as Trackpoint for working on long documents.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/14555818941/in/photostream/

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

9 Posts

12-31-2014

18 Signins

163 Page Views

• Message 20 of 23

2014-12-31, 5:46 AM

Hi Lenovo Forumers. Do you guys think I should purchase the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro laptop or the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14? If any of you can, please give me a nice comparison (Battery? Performance?) or a way to compare the two. Thank you guys. I've seen a lot of problems reported with the Yoga 2 Pro, so I'm considering getting the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 instead. Also, does the discrete graphics in the Thinkpad make up for the lower CPU? Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete