11-17-2019 04:16 PM
I hope someone can help me. I have a Yoga 730-15 IKB and from time to time during winter I'd get static shocks when touching the metal casing of the laptop.
Yesterday I was writing a paper and I had an insight and ran to my laptop. But when I touched the keyboard it got a static shock, after that the computer went off (though the fans span really fast for a second). Now it won't turn on anymore.
I had the computer connected to Lenovo's original power supply (I rent a room, but I suppose the electrical outlet is grounded -- it does have the third hole for the 3 pins). I tried holding the power button for 10 seconds and releasing, I also tried pressing the Novo button. And now when the power supply is connected to the laptop there's no led light indicating that.
I'm a student and I don't have another $1000 to spend for a laptop. Could the motherboard have been fried by a simple static shock? Or am I missing something? The 1 year warranty ended less than a month ago, but even if I still had it, I need my data. Is this supposed to happen?? I mean, I can't believe that a static shock could kill it, the metal cast was closed and the only change I made to it was adding 8 gb RAM many months ago.
Thanks a lot for any help in solving this!
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-18-2019 07:04 AM
Welcome to the Community.
Sorry to hear what happened. Yes, static electricity is any computer's worst enemy, IMO. You can try holding in the power button for a full minute, but the fact you're not seeing a charging light isn't a good sign, I'm sorry to say. The fact you got the shock as you touched the keyboard raises the possibility the discharge path went straight to some sensitive circuitry rather than the case.
Whether the computer is properly grounded is less of an issue. It's that you aren't. Walking across a carpet in the winter, for example, results in you carrying a charge that's different from other things in the room. It's good practice in the winter to touch a desk lamp or something else that's grounded before touching the computer. There are other things you can do, as well. Anti-static mats where you sit, humidifiers, etc.
It's also good practice to keep any important data in more than one place and that doesn't include your regular backups. Cloud storage has made that easier than ever. It's really easy to set folders on your computer to sync to a cloud service. That way, if a computer fails or is stolen, your important data is still accessible. Anything I deem irreplacable is in at least three places. That's a habit that has come from a lot of experience and subsequent meltdowns.
I wish you luck.
11-18-2019 10:09 AM - edited 11-18-2019 10:12 AM
Thank you very much for your reply! I'm happy to say that the laptop fixed itself!! I don't know if I should close this thread, please tell me what I should or feel free to close it.
If it helps anyone in the future: my room is carpeted, since it's cold I do walk around with socks (I try to touch one of those anti-static key-chains every now and then so as not to get shocked all the time). As I said, when I touched the keyboard, I got a shock, the computer turned off and the fans sped up very fast for about 1 sec and then stopped.
I tried holding the power button for 10 secs multiple times, also tried pressing the Novo button. When I plugged the power supply into the laptop, the charger light would remain off and pressing the power button wouldn't start the computer.
I had to go away for the day and when I came back I decided to try plugging the power supply into the laptop again. I do think I first saw a spark, but when I tried fitting it into the laptop again the charger light went on after about 5 secs. Then I could power up the computer again and everything was back to normal, except the battery that was depleted (but seems to be working normally now).
So I guess that solves it Is there any way though to check if anything was damaged? So far, everything seems to be working as usual.
11-19-2019 09:04 AM
Run a hardware scan to be sure.
I'd hazard a guess (pun intended) that leaving the laptop alone in a won't-charge state accomplished the same thing as holding the power button for a full minute; it reset the CMOS. Whatever the reason, glad it's working. But DO take precautions to touch other things first and back everything up often and in multiple places. You sleep better knowing if the laptop fails, again, you won't lose anything important.
12-04-2019 03:14 PM - edited 12-04-2019 03:54 PM
It's me again, I had to create another profile because I forgot which email I used to register in the forum (I never use my personal email, to avoid spam).
Do you recommend any particular software for running the hardware scan? How should I do it?
It seems I spoke too soon. Everything was working as expected again and I was being extra careful not to get any more static shocks (I was carrying with me an anti-static keychain, I'd touch it first to prevent shocks from happening), nevertheless I touched the computer near the corner -- far from the keyboard, for I'm never touching the keyboard first again! --, and that was enough to make some keys of the keyboard dead.
The 'Z', 'X', 'C', 'V', 'M', ',', '.', 'ENTER' keys are dead now. I tried all possible software corrections to it, I reinstalled drivers, used System Restore to an older restore point, tried using Safe Mode, it makes no difference: those keys don't work anymore.
Replacing the keyboard will cost me some hundred dollars, at this point I might be better off buying a Desktop PC and using onscreen keyboard for the laptop. Right now I'm using a USB keyboard because I have work to deliver. I still can't believe how this laptop can be so badly designed that a static shock will destroy it.
But for all new users out there, I think a lot of damage can be avoided if you buy one of those plastic covers for the keyboard. They cost less than $10 and I think this would prevent a shock to the keyboard. The keyboard seems to be directly connected to the motherboard (see this video, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ff4KNs5XVM ) , so although a static shock on the lid might not cause havoc, shocking one of the keys of the keyboard will possibly mean shocking the internal parts. That said, the last shock I had was near the "LENOVO YOGA 730-15" sticker, and that broke the keys now. I think that it might have piled up with the damage done before.
One thing is certain though: I'm never buying anything from Lenovo again
12-05-2019 06:43 AM
You can drop back to the old version of Vantage to get the hardware scan back:
The keyboard issue could be as simple as a loose ribbon cable. I haven't changed a keyboard on a 730, but I have changed keyboards on a plethora of other laptops. If you shop it, replacement keyboards are usually in the $20 range. As I own parrots who love to pick off keys when you're not looking, I buy 4-5 at a time. My wife's laptop (my cockatoo's usual target) has had about a dozen keyboards to date. I use an old-school wireless keyboard with my 910 even though its keyboard doesn't seem to fascinate her as much. She does pick keys off of the wireless keyboard, but they're not nearly as fragile and pop back on. But I digress..
I don't thnk brand is going to matter much if you have that much static electricity. If you get a shock every time you touch something metal just from moving about the room, you run the risk of damaging any sensitive electronic equipment. When I lived in colder climates, a whole-house humidifier was a must-have to mitigate static electricity. Just a thought. I wish you well.
12-06-2019 09:26 PM
Your help is much appreciated, thank you so much for the suggestions! I'll try Vantage's scan and check also if a cable could be loose (but do you think this could be the culprit? Because it had been working fine for a year).
If you don't mind one last question, where do you get the keyboard replacements? I saw now some offers on Ebay for around $25, but I'm a bit wary of their quality. If I could replace the keyboard and only spend 25 buck it'd be brilliant!!
12-07-2019 09:01 AM
The way keyboards are "wired" allows for every single keystroke to be relayed to the computer over just a few wires. When a row of keys or a handful of keys that are close to each other go out, it's almost always the keyboard or the ribbon cable as those keys will have the same leg of the circuit in common. If the missing characters are willy-nilly.. such as Q,M and PgUp, it's more liklely a driver issue.
I think the last batch of keyboards I got was from an Amazon seller. I've used two or three different ones over the course of time. I've seen some of the same sellers on eBay. I think I've only had one seller send a flimsy replacement.