Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YellowOars
Fanfold Paper
Views: 249
Message 1 of 4

Disabled keyboard with Lenovo yoga

A recent Windows update has disabled my yoga keyboard. I have tried a number of solutions including a complete reinstallation of Windows 10 on a scrubbed system, but nothing has made any difference. I can sometimes/often get the keyboard back by rebooting from a usb recovery disk, and then everything can work fine for hours until the yoga goes to sleep.

A big problem now is starting the yoga at all because the boot recovery menu does not respond to the touch screen, so I have to reboot a number of times before it recognizes the keyboard long enough for me to be able to tell it to carry on.

This is a pretty fatal problem and the yoga is only just over two years old. I think the issue is likely to be something to do with tablet mode (which I don't use normally).

Any ideas before I recycle it?

YellowOars
Fanfold Paper
Views: 236
Message 2 of 4

Re: Disabled keyboard with Lenovo yoga

I have a keyboard back now, at least temporarily, so can add that all the Lenovo hardware tests say that there are no problems and the Windows Startup repair facility simply says that the Startup cannot be repaired (because no fault is detected?).

More curiously, the usb recovery disk I am using was set up by this computer after the problem has started to become serious - so it can build a working recovery disk, but can''t start itself up properly.

Just to confirm, the yoga now has a brand-new Windows 10 system but the problem still persists. But, now that I have a keyboard, I would expect everything to be absolutely fine for the rest of the day or until the computer goes to sleep. In its current state, it can be rebooted without difficulty (provided that I haven't done it so often that the Boot Menu comes up) and the keyboard will come back. But if I leave it for any time, like overnight, it's 45 minutes or more before I can get it going again.

YellowOars
Fanfold Paper
Views: 160
Message 3 of 4

The difficulties go on. I can't do a system restore using Lenovo one-key recovery as it is done through boot mode and that won't respond to the touch screen (what's the point of a backup if you can't use it when there is a problem?). And, now that I have something working using a remote keyboard, the backup won't allow me to restore partially - like just my photos,  or indeed, any photos. So I don't advise anyone to rely on one-key recovery as a backup (indeed, at the moment,  I wouldn't advise anyone to rely on Lenovo). As an additional thought, I ran a full Lenovo Vantage and it said everything was working fine.

YellowOars
Fanfold Paper
Views: 136
Message 4 of 4

I have now tried removing the battery and leaving the yoga without a battery overnight, as some people have suggested this might restore contact with the keyboard.  But, sadly, it made no difference at all. 

So that's it, really. Although my Yoga is only just over a couple of years old, it's off to the rubbish dump. And, perhaps not surprisingly, the replacement computer I have just ordered is not a Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors