Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,776
Message 1 of 34

Does the Yoga 920 and C930 really have Thunderbolt 3 ports

All the testing I have done shows no Intel Thunderbolt 3 software or drivers installed under the standard current updated Lenovo configuration.  The Intel Thunderbolt control centre from the MS Apps store will not install also. The Lenovo support want me to re-image my 920 and C930 but this appears to be a waste of time if the required software for Thunderbolt 3 port does not exist and if the required Intel Thunderbolt controller chip is not installed . The Thunderbolt icon also does not appear when a thunderbolt device is plugged in.  The bios does not have the required Thunderbolt security settings options either.

All of this makes me doubt that the claimed 40 gps Thunderbolt 3 ports are anything more than conventional 5 or 10 gps USB 3-c ports as that is what they appear to be setup as by Lenovo 

I hope i am wrong.

The required drivers are clearly visible in other similar specification Thunderbolt 3 computers e.g. HP spectre X360 but do not appear in the Lenovo C930 and 920

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,731
Message 2 of 34

Re: Does the Yoga 920 and C930 really have Thunderbolt 3 ports

Hi rgh0! 

Welcome to the community forums. 

Checking on the Specification sheet of Yoga 920: Under "ports" section. It doesn't have thunderbolt feature.

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/Yoga%20920%20(14_)/Yoga...

Yoga C930(14Smiley Happy has thunderbolt but doesn't say it is Thunderbolt 3. That might be the reason it is not being detected by the Thunderbolt 3 software. 

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/Yoga%20C930%20(14_)/Yog...

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Moderator comment: Link(s) expanded for transparency.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,720
Message 3 of 34

Hi Matt

Interesting. i have not seen this spec sheet before - where is it published ? is there an equivalent for the Yoga C930 ( edit - sorry just saw you also attached thr C930 spec sheet, as far as I am aware the only USB type 3 type C specification  for thunderbolts is Thunderbolt 3 as Thubderbolt 1 ansd 2 used a different connection.

This is inconsistent with the published sales information in Australia and also what Lenovo support believe in Australia who think it both the 920 and C930 support Thunderbolt 3. However it is consistent with what I see in terms of installed software and behaviour with Thunderbolt 3 connected equipment.

Looks like I may be returning both the 920 and C930 and claiming a full refund so i can buy real Thunderbolt 3 computers.  Just dont know if i can withstand the pain of setting up a new computer so soon Smiley Sad

cheers

Rohan

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,719
Message 4 of 34

Just checked the lenovo Australia website for the 920 which is still available in Australia ( old stock I guess) The tech specs section has been change to list only USB-c 3.1 ports not thunderbolt 3  ! Unfortunately they forgot to change the claim to thunderbolt  3 ports in the features section !!! 

Hiding the problem while not replying to me is a bad idea 

cheers

Rohan

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,712
Message 5 of 34

Further checking of the Lenovo Australia website for the C930 shows now no claim around thunderbolt 3 ports in the features section and  lists "2 x USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 / Thunderbolt" ports in the specification section.  The website editors have sure been busy since I first asked this question, pity they cant fix all the errors to hide their mistakes haha, I am sure they will find all the Thunderbolt 3 references and delete soon enough.

Judging by the software installed the C930 is no different from the 920 and does not have Thunderbolt 3 software and probably not Thunderbolt 3 hardware either

Anyone who has purchased a 920 or C930 based on the Thunderbolt 3 claim needs to think what they want to do depending on the consumer protection rights in their country . No wonder so many problems getting thunderbolt docks connected to yoga 920 and C930  as not many  ( or none)Tunderbolt docks will accept USB 3.x Type C connections for full functionality at USB 3.1 type C 5 or 10 Gbps connection speed.

cheers

Rohan

sj-monday
Punch Card
Views: 1,676
Message 6 of 34

Hi there,

I can't be certain because I don't have a Thunderbolt 3 peripheral to test it with but I believe the C930 is TB3-enabled. Firstly, the marketing literature and spec sheet say as much. Secondly, there are Thunderbolt logos next to both USB-C ports on the side of the device (the charging logo is different and looks like a plug). Thirdly, it's possible to download and install the Thunderbolt 3 driver from Lenovo's support page for the C930 here

I don't know why the Thunderbolt controller doesn't appear in Device Manager. The only explanation I can offer is that Thunderbolt peripherals might appear under another device name when connected, like a PCI port. Likewise with the BIOS settings; just because that isn't an option doesn't mean there's no Thunderbolt on the machine. I wouldn't rely too heavily on a barely-documented one star app in the Windows Store either.

If you're having problems with a specific peripheral then you could try updating the driver I linked above?

Cheers,

Sam

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,663
Message 7 of 34

Yes i have tried down loading the Thunderbolt 3 driver for the C930 on both the C930 and 920 and it does not appear to install anything or give an error message either.

The ports on both the 920 and C930 show the Thunderbolt logo. The marketing "features" claims and "specifications" listed by Lenovo on their web site  for both the 920 and C930 appear to be changing constantly and are internally inconsistent. it appears that everyone has accepted the Lenovo claims ( including me and all reviewers) that both the 920 and C930 had Thunderbolt 3 ports.  In recent weeks since i raised the question Lenovo appear to be removing some of the claims on their Web site 

Once i got past the issues of my ports appearing to not operate as a Thunderbolt ports which Lenovo blamed on incompatible hardware, however the haredware i was using was certified by the Thunderbolt group to be compliant to the Thunderbolt standard which some but not all leonovo Thunderbolt computers are also certified to. However the 920 and C930 are not certified on any Thunderbolt list which is one more reason i suspect the Thunderbolt claims are spurious. . Then when i enquired that I could not see the required drivers they then blamed that on incorrect machine configuration and wanted me to re-image my computer. 

Lenovo have still not answered for a while now the simple questions I have finally got down to as follows:

1. What is the Intel Thunderbolt 3 controller chip version installed in the 920 and C930 - there are about 6 chip versions listed by Intel which one if any has Lenovo installed ?

2. What are the required drivers and software to make the installed chips operate the ports correctly as Thunderbolt 3  ports

Not hard questions to answer unless you claimed you had built a Thunderbolt computer and then did not actually do, that in which case you and your legal team are currently scrambling to decide how to respond !!

Rohan

sj-monday
Punch Card
Views: 1,640
Message 8 of 34

I did a bit of experimentation and was able to find the Thunderbolt controller for my C930. It only appears if there's a device connected via USB-C (my phone, in this case) and it showed up on the HWiNFO app. The product name is JHL6540 Alpine Ridge.

Take a look at the attached screenshot. That doesn't answer part 2 of your question but at least we know there's a chip!

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,624
Message 9 of 34

Thats great JHL 6540 is an appropriate Thunderbolt chip so it looks like they actually have the hardware in the C930.  I will do the same check in the 920

rgh0
Punch Card
Views: 1,603
Message 10 of 34

Where in Hwinfo does it show up?  I have downloaded the free version and can only see one USB2 port on my 920 which I presume is the standard size USB port, I also see the Synaptics pad and the Wifi / bluetooth card appearing on the serial port connections. I have a monitor and Thunderbolt hub plugged into the two USB type C ports and both are working with the hub on a cat5 cable connection to the internet and the monitor on a USB type C to HDMI converter and working but neither show up in HWinfo that I can see.

The hub does not work on video and the hub appears to be defaulting to its USB 3 mode and works on the cat 5  cable and standard USB ports and works to charge the 920 but not its video ports or thunderbolt daisy chain  port USB -C port, I dont see any Thunderbolt chip being reported anywhere.

So maybe the C930 has the chip and no software to drive it and the 920 does not even have the chip despite Lenovos claims and the Thunderbolt logo on the side next to the ports on both machines.

My explorations continue and after an hour on the phone to Lenovo support  again yesterday they promise me an answer to my two specific questions in the next couple of days. In the classic support answer "I will have to escalate your question to my superior"

cheers

Rohan

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors