Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-12-2014

Singapore

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 1 of 9

Downgrading Windows 7 Prof on Yoga 3 Pro - "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing”

2014-11-12, 2:12 AM

This may not be anything new but I am sure the model of this laptop is.

I have the Retail Windows 7 Prof 64-bit and wanted to downgrade the Lenovo Yoga 3 Prof to Win-7 from Win 8.1. As Yoga 3 does not comes with DVD drive, I converted the ISO from DVD to a USB thumb drive.

I started the NOVO to bios setting and disable Secure boot and Boot priorty through Legacy....

When Windows 7 gets started, the welcome screen only show "INSTALL" and immediately i did.

Instead of processing the stage of showing the partition drive and selection, the screen show an error:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.

I tried to browse for the driver and the browse button only show C, D and X Drive where these drive are partition of the Yoga 3 256GB SSD.

I had tried disable the UEFI and downloaded a couple of Intel series SATA ACHI family controller but neither one is helping to overcome the installation error.

Please help your option to resolve. Need solution urgently.

Thanks a million

Options

4 Posts

11-12-2014

Singapore

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re: Downgrading Windows 7 Prof on Yoga 3 Pro - "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missin

2014-11-12, 3:04 AM

Have called Lenovo Support and they have no clue and any suggestion how to resolve this technical glitch.

They only said the system is built best to perform Windows 8.1 and there is no leads to any downgrade of OS.

Now I realise how terrible Lenovo support is as they do not show any assistance to user issue.

I have tried downgrading a Yoga 2 Pro and there is no problem. This is the first time to downgrade Yoga 3 Pro and was told this is a new model. now I am really stuck here.

:(

Options

4472 Posts

07-24-2013

Switzerland

13207 Signins

379178 Page Views

• Views: 379178
  • Message 3 of 9

Re: Downgrading Windows 7 Prof on Yoga 3 Pro - "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missin

2014-11-12, 9:00 AM

Welcome to the forum

Is it possible to try your usb install on another laptop or desktop? For me it sounds like something went wrong with the media creation.

On a side note, you seem very decided to downgrade to Win7, if you allow me giving you some advice, I would check which kind of apps are available in Win7 to support all Yoga modes... (Tent, Stand, Tablet and so on...)

My 2 cents only...

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

4 Posts

11-12-2014

Singapore

5 Signins

34 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2014-11-12, 11:43 AM
Hi. Thanks for replying.

Yes. I have tried the usb on other computer and there is no problem installing the windows 7 professional. I am stuck and have to downgrade it as soon as possible. I have search YouTube and other website for info. None of any help to solve the problem.

Thanks
Options

4472 Posts

07-24-2013

Switzerland

13207 Signins

379178 Page Views

• Views: 379178
  • Message 5 of 9

2014-11-12, 14:24 PM

I don't remember the BIOS settings by heart, I need to check the BIOS settings in my own Y3P when I'm back home

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

27 Posts

07-10-2010

Canada

41 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 6 of 9

2015-01-17, 14:22 PM

I solved this problem by installing Windows 7  from witin Windows 8 (thus replacing Windows 8 with Windows 7).  That is I booted  Windows 8 and then started  Windows 7 setup. It went ok.

However, I am not able to find  drivers for  the touch-pad and fow WLAN. Windows 8 touch-pad and WLAN drivers do not  work

Options

9060 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77861 Signins

2232125 Page Views

• Views: 2232125
  • Message 7 of 9

2015-01-17, 15:35 PM

Hi rybshik,

Thanks for reporting on your work-around.

I've been experimenting with the same "missing driver" issue.  Both UEFI and legacy installs have the same problem.  My suspicion is that it's USB drivers that are missing - but I have the same problem that the OP reports: can't browse to a driver USB device.

I haven't pursued it further as IMHO it's very unlikely that Win 7 will ever run well on the Y3P.  Please let us know if you do find usable drivers.  I will test further as time allows.

regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

01-24-2015

Taipei

9 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 8 of 9

2015-01-25, 15:44 PM
hi all,

i've tried several methods from above and get these conclusions:

1. Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate can be installed on Y3P by launch the setup process within Windows 8.1 Pro (rybshik's method), but only the audio, keyboard, and video driver can work correctly (others like WLAN, mouse, touch pad, touch screen are fail).

2. Using traditional method (legacy USB stick boot) cannot install and stuck on "A required CD/DVD drive ......" screen, because Windows 7 installation package doesn't know all the USB slots on Y3P (and even SD slot), I try to dump the usb 3.0 driver from Windows 8.1 and merge to boot.wim but same message still occurred.

Some references:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/boot-and-install-windows-7-from-usb-3-0-solution.371959/
Options

1 Posts

11-04-2015

Ukraine

2 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 9 of 9

2015-11-04, 8:49 AM

Hi, everyone. If you want to install win7 for yoga 3 you need to download Intel USB 3.0 driver for NUC link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24896/USB-3-0-Intel-USB-3-0-Driver-for-Intel-NUC. When you will start to install win7, you need to:

1. Choose the button browse, then the folder with downloaded driver, then the folder Driver/HCSwitsh. In the window will appear PCI_Bus driver, choose it.

2.Then open push the browse again and choose the folder Driver/ Win7. In the window you need choose USB 3.0 Root_hub.

You welcome:) .

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms