US

23 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 1 of 3

Embedded W8 Product key in YOGA BIOS

2012-12-03, 18:19 PM

Hi guys, 

I had posted something on this before but that thread had gone off track so i wanted to start a new update.

For users with a YOGA wanting to go to W8Pro with a clean install - the Propack works because it sees the W8 core key in the BIOS and is designed to upgrade from there. Buying the W8Pro upgrade will not upgrade in this way. Here's the scary part, buying a W8Pro System Builder full DVD and doing a clean install doesn't work either!  All the previously mentioned installers aside from Propack detect the key in the Bios during the install and simply install W8 basic with the OEM key from Lenovo. It's Propack or nothing, unfortunately. 

If you're wondering why i care - I wanted a copy of W8Pro that allows a clean install.  Not just on the YOGA but on whatever machine i'm using at the time. In other words i want to own a full copy of the OS i use(crazy huh?). Propack will clean install only with a key embedded in the BIOS (which only an OEM can do) or an existing w8 install.  Microsoft screwing the non-enterprise IT folks as usual.

If I'm wrong about something here, please let me know. I'd love to find a way to tell the installer to use a different CD key, but so far it seems to pull the embedded and move on without any options.

old post:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/Yoga13-Embedded-Win8-Product-Key-in-BIOS/m-p/926343#M13634

Solved! See the solution
Options

6 Posts

12-14-2012

USA

2 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Embedded W8 Product key in YOGA BIOS

2012-12-14, 15:54 PM

That really isn't true... Me and the guy that helped me in the other thread proved that it can be done without the pro pack... Yeah its a little more work, but if you have msdn and have access to a lot of the weird versions, but not the retail pro-pack; then it is your only solution without dropping $65... 

Options

24 Posts

10-31-2012

US

23 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Embedded W8 Product key in YOGA BIOS

2012-12-17, 19:16 PM

kaskers, I see one of the older threads was updated. I ended up using winPE and an unattend.xml to get Pro to install.  Looks like the other method is simpler. Still crazy to require these roundabout steps for a clean install of a full ver IMO.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete