cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,057
Message 1 of 8

External Monitor WITHOUT Using Thunderbolt Port (Yoga 720)

Hello -

I wish to connect my 24" Dell monitor (it has every port imaginable) to my Lenovo Yoga 720 WITHOUT using the Thunderbolt port.

Is this possible?

I am a Jazz musician and I with to use the external display for (1) reading complicatedf [e.g., classical piano] sheet music and (2) for use with DAWs (digital audio workstations, such as Abelton, Pro Tools, etc., where there is LOTS of info crammed in tight and a large monitor is needed).

My Yoga's TB port is used for a 500 gig Samsung external hard drive.  The Samsung houses my music programs (e.g., the DAWs, Ivory piano, Easy Drummer, etc.), and I placed them there for the fast speed (this really helps eliminate the latency on the pianos).  I don't need fast speed with the monitor; my prior Lenovo G780 worked just fine with my 24" Dell monitor; the G780 had an HDMI port.

I don't find a "TB dock" that has (1) HDMI, display port, etc. AND (2) another TB port. 

Does such a thing exist?

I've tried the crappy "USB montitors."  They (1) suck and (2) are not 24".

Am I screwed here?

Thanks,

- Jeff Newton (Jazz saxophonist and pianist)

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,037
Message 2 of 8

Re: External Monitor WITHOUT Using Thunderbolt Port (Yoga 720)

First off, what I can think of is a Mini-HDMI... Will look at the specs and see if that exists.

Secondly - the only ports I see in the specs online are USB and USB-C ports. If yours has a TB port I am not finding it.

If it is a USB-C port we are speaking of - a USB-C Hub with video pass thru may be the solution here. The hub that I am thinking of is similar to this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP6P42809&cm_re=USB-c_Hub-_-17-707-439-_-Produ... on newegg.com - my go to site for most of my gear.

CB

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,030
Message 3 of 8

CB -

Thank you for the reply!  IThe Yoga 720's USB C port accomodates Thunderbolt.

I looked at the Startech and if the performance of the Samsung external SSD will be similar, this might be a good solution indeed.

I guess I would also need a USB C to some type of video adapter, correct? 

The 720 does not have any video ports, inclulding, but not limited to, mini display port.

I'll try the Startech!

Thanks,

- Jeff Newton

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,024
Message 4 of 8

Good luck, keep us in the loop.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,011
Message 5 of 8

Would THIS:

https://www.amazon.com/Hub-USB-C-Thunderbolt-Pass-Through-Chromebook/dp/B07BFN6HGN/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?...

also work?  It's only $37.

In the alternative, even though it's expensive, anybody have any thoughts on a USB 3.0 monitor, like THIS:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVVNHTL/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Thank you!

SeniorGuru
Views: 991
Message 6 of 8

That amazon offer looks like a good option - especially with the 4k HDMI out port!

CB

newtonmusiclaw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 987
Message 7 of 8

Yes, and an expensive one (the USB monitor).  Why Lenovo cheraped out and didn't see fit to put at least a mini HDMI port in the 720 is beyond me; there's plenty of room in the cabinet for one.  Why should I have to jump through hoops and spend big bucks just to use an external monitor?  My current montor was $250, and it's brilliant.  I don't want to buy another one, and I don't want to buy a large dongle with stuff I don't need, but I guess those are my only options.  But if you think the $27 dongle will work, I'll buy tht one!  Thanks.....

Now, if I could just get the 720 to stop delaying and cascading when I try to open a folder!  I thought this thing was supposed to be FAST?

SeniorGuru
Views: 970
Message 8 of 8

In a nutshell.... The Yoga line is not meant to be a power house system, more of a road warrior, for business software (Office) and presentations, with screen casting and media playback.

A more powerful system would be a true i7 CPU with 16gb of ram, and a M.2 ssd.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors