Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rpnman
Paper Tape
Views: 2,311
Message 1 of 5

External R/W DVD or Bluray drive?

Are there recommdations for an external R/W DVD for my Yoga 910? I'd like to be able to burn data DVD, and play movies. If I can get it, I'd like to be able to play BluRay, but I now think that may be unrealistic. 

I tried a USB attach BluRay R/W drive (LG BP50NB40)  but the graphics adapter wasn't up to rendering the videos. ((sigh))

If there aren't recommended solutions, has anyone else had any success?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,275
Message 2 of 5

Re: External R/W DVD or Bluray drive?

I picked up a Pioneer BDR-XDO5S that seems to work fairly well. But I don't play movies directly from the drive. I use the drive and MakeMKV to rip the movies to NAS or a thumb drive. Then, I play them with VLC. Works beautifully well. I don't like fussing with discs, so all of my movies are stored on NAS and the disks are packed away. At home, my 910 is used to stream movies from my NAS to my television when we're watching on the porch. On the road, whatever I've ripped to the 910 (or a thumb drive) is what I play. You can pack a lot of content on a thumb drive which beats hauling ten discs around to get scratched up.

This also avoids paying for commercial software to play Blu-ray discs. I have a couple of programs that do that (Total Media Theatre and PowerDVD), but they're clunky and they complain if they get to the internet. 

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,249
Message 3 of 5

@rpnman wrote:

Are there recommdations for an external R/W DVD for my Yoga 910? I'd like to be able to burn data DVD, and play movies. If I can get it, I'd like to be able to play BluRay, but I now think that may be unrealistic. 

I tried a USB attach BluRay R/W drive (LG BP50NB40)  but the graphics adapter wasn't up to rendering the videos. ((sigh))

If there aren't recommended solutions, has anyone else had any success?

This seemed odd, so I just fired up my 910. Pioneer Electronics USA Slim External Blu Ray Drive BDR-XD05S plugged into the single USB socket.  Running Leawo free bluray player software.  Planet Earth bluray disc #1.

It's playing fine w/no obvious video issues.  Also tried Avatar and it  is fine too, both on AC mains and battery.

Can you provide more detail about the rendering problem you saw?

About Leawo - I have no idea how they can offer a free bluray player. Keep expecting malware, ads, or something else obnoxious to pop up, but so far it seems fine.  I'm not recommending it since I don't quite believe it...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,246
Message 4 of 5

@Doctordon wrote:

I have a couple of programs that do that (Total Media Theatre and PowerDVD), but they're clunky and they complain if they get to the internet. 

That should read "if they CAN'T get to the internet."

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.
ProxyKat
What's DOS?
Views: 2,195
Message 5 of 5

Well the best external DVD drive is the LG GP65NB60 imo. It's on Amazon for $25 and works really well. You can also connect it to a TV if it has a USB port.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors