Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IvanAnishchuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 407
Message 1 of 5

Extra internal ports on Yoga 900-13ISK's motherboard

While doing some minor unrelated repair on my Yoga 900 I noticed a few extra ports on the motherboard. On of them (JP7) has a connector soldered in (looks like those for cooling fans, five pins) but nothing connected to it and two others (JP10, JP15) without anything. I'm curious whether I can connect anything to them, who knows where could I find some specifications for the motherboard? Maybe some people working at Lenovo can shed some light on this? I'd really prefer to have some information before I start poking around with a multimeter or something. Thanks.

Photo of the ports (sorry I couldn't figure out )how to embed the image).

(I know that anything like this voids your warranty. Besides, it's possible to destroy your motherboard and other expensive parts by doing any unauthorized alterations or repairs. Please do not consider anything in this topic as an advice of any kind, you're doing everything on your own risk.)

MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 401
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extra internal ports on Yoga 900-13ISK's motherboard

Hi,

I'm not sure about your specific model, but I have a 500-14ISK which also has extra jumpers and unsoldered pins. Mine is probably because I have the device SKU without the dGPU chip, but my board still has all the spaces marked to accomodate this in the SKUs that have the dedicated nVidia card. Maybe yoursituation is similar?
IvanAnishchuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 387
Message 3 of 5

That's certainly possible, although I'm doubtful whether 15-pin JP10 can accommodate something as complex (too few pins for PCIe or M.2). Even if combined with 6 pins of JP15.

Can you compare the photo in the OP with what you saw on your board? Or, if you could post a photo, I'd be most obliged.

Most interesting to me is 5-pin JP7, which has a connector. If it's something like USB or, say, a fan port which can be controlled by software, or even GPIO, it can be used for something cool and it doesn't even require soldiering, just a cable, so it'd be less invasive.

15-pin port could theoretically be an unsoldered VGA port (other Lenovo's laptops used to have one as recently as a couple years ago). But I've no idea how to confirm that.

6-pin one is unlikely to be anything standard although anything is possible.
MattDN93
802.11n
Views: 370
Message 4 of 5

Oh certainly, I think the dGPU PCIe would probably be routed internally on the board rather than via ribbons and jumpers.

I actually unfortunately just sort of glanced at my board in passing whilst I was replacing my HDD with an SSD, so I don't have any photos - sorry!

What is possible is the VGA idea, Lenovo recycles hardware design (The Yoga 500 outside is basically a Flex 3) so it's possible the board layout was carried over to newer-gen parts and unecessary port jumpers like VGA removed.

I noticed some I2C devices in Device manager so GPIO shouldn't be ruled out completely, I agree. Would be nice to attach extra I2C sensors or something to those spare pins, but you'd have to know what spec they're using?

Your ideas are definitely pretty cool - I think it's doubtful Lenovo will spill the beans on their H/W layout though since IP and all Smiley Wink
IvanAnishchuk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 363
Message 5 of 5

Well, it's not like I want to know any hardware internals, I don't think ports pinout or some basic info like "this is an USB/GPIO/VGA port" is that secret... Especially if it's some kind of standard interface and since most of this info can be figured out using a simple multimeter. But that said I'm doubtful as well about this.

I will be thankful if you make some photos next time you need to open it.

I should also probably look for photos/videos of other laptops's internals on the web to see if there's any resemblance.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors