cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halfbeing
Token Ring
Views: 422
Message 1 of 5

File sharing broken. Should I do a clean install?

My Yoga 710 arrived today and file sharing is broken. Even though I am using the same Microsoft ID to log into all my computers, I can't share files between the Yoga and the others. I suspect that the consequences of a software failure while I was first trying to set up my login on the new computer may have messed things up a bit. My question is: Would wiping the disk and doing a clean install of Windows be likely to solve the problem? Is there anything important in the pre-installed software that I would lose if I did so (given that I'm not interested in keeping trial software)? And if I do reinstall, is there any point in keeping the Lenovo partition, or can I copy the files from there to an external disk and make better use of the space?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 389
Message 2 of 5

Re: File sharing broken. Should I do a clean install?

I would keep the partition, and before reinstalling, I suggest trying system restore, keeping your files. (under settings/recovery)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
halfbeing
Token Ring
Views: 377
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to do a system restore, but it failed with an "unspecified error".

Highlighted
Lenovo Technology Partner
Views: 338
Message 4 of 5

Hi halfbeing, 

I would recommend doing a factory reset using the Onekey Recovery App. That way you don't have to bother downloading and installing the drivers. The process may only take about 15 mins at the most. You can also use the app to create a image back up of the system once you're done with the setup of the unit. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
halfbeing
Token Ring
Views: 330
Message 5 of 5

Thank you! It wasn't at all obvious that recovery was via a third-party app. I've now done the factory reset, file sharing is working properly, and everything else seems to be OK.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors