cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
POSitality
What's DOS?
Views: 1,468
Message 1 of 3

For those with USB 3.0 failure issues, Broadwell / Yoga 3 (maybe others)

Just solved an issue with my Yoga 3 (Win 8.1, 64-bit) thought it might help others if I share what happened...

Symptom:

USB 3.0 and/or USB 2.0 port(s) stop working, related hardware on the USB 3.0 (touch screen, card reader) also fail. I noticed this after letting the Yoga go to sleep with a USB memory key still attached earlier today.

Observation:

Device Manager shows an error or warning against the xHCI (USB 3.0) hub (Code 10 or 12 usually.) Un-install/re-install doesn't fix it, reboot doesn't fix it, reseting BIOS settings doesn't fix it.

My Fix:

• Change Device Manager View to "Resources by type"
  • Open up "Interupt Request (IRQ)"
  • Skip the "ISA" entries and scroll down to to the "PCI" ones.
  • Find the failed USB 3.0 hub entry
  • Check its desired IRQ number (e.g. 7)
  • Disable any other devices on the same number (I found some vague "Intel Device")
  • Reboot
  • USB should be back!
  • Re-enable device entries

For the old ISA IRQs you wouldn't really want to share them between devices but, even though there are loads more available on the PCI bus, you will see lots of devices on a single PCI IRQ line. Why did Windows suddenly flip over this? Answers on a postcard please Smiley Happy

Anyhoo, hope this saves someone else time and energy Smiley Very Happy

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,299
Message 2 of 3

Re: For those with USB 3.0 failure issues, Broadwell / Yoga 3 (maybe others)

@POSitality wrote:

Just solved an issue with my Yoga 3 (Win 8.1, 64-bit) thought it might help others if I share what happened...

Symptom:

USB 3.0 and/or USB 2.0 port(s) stop working, related hardware on the USB 3.0 (touch screen, card reader) also fail. I noticed this after letting the Yoga go to sleep with a USB memory key still attached earlier today.

Observation:

Device Manager shows an error or warning against the xHCI (USB 3.0) hub (Code 10 or 12 usually.) Un-install/re-install doesn't fix it, reboot doesn't fix it, reseting BIOS settings doesn't fix it.

My Fix:

• Change Device Manager View to "Resources by type"
  • Open up "Interupt Request (IRQ)"
  • Skip the "ISA" entries and scroll down to to the "PCI" ones.
  • Find the failed USB 3.0 hub entry
  • Check its desired IRQ number (e.g. 7)
  • Disable any other devices on the same number (I found some vague "Intel Device")
  • Reboot
  • USB should be back!
  • Re-enable device entries

For the old ISA IRQs you wouldn't really want to share them between devices but, even though there are loads more available on the PCI bus, you will see lots of devices on a single PCI IRQ line. Why did Windows suddenly flip over this? Answers on a postcard please Smiley Happy

Anyhoo, hope this saves someone else time and energy Smiley Very Happy

Sounds like the USB device prevents the system from auto assignment of PCI Bus attachment. I would be interested if it re-occurs with any USB item, or just the one USB key.  Also - as a side note -  have you tried using a differnt OS (Windows 7 or Linux) to check it out?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Anonymuser
Paper Tape
Views: 1,286
Message 3 of 3

Re: For those with USB 3.0 failure issues, Broadwell / Yoga 3 (maybe others)

Have tried this for the same issue on a Yoga 2 but it did not work.

More exactly, there aren't any same IRQ number for the other devices (mine was -5).

Thank you though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors