Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crazydiamond
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 66,268
Message 1 of 24

[Guide] Windows 8.1 PRO RTM clean install on Yoga 13 from a USB Stick

Hello everyone,

I recently installed Windows 8.1 Pro RTM successfully so I thought it may be useful to share the steps here.

Disclaimer: Please proceed with caution. I'm not responsible for any gain, loss, or harm done to you, your device, or your data.

Link to picture

Pre-requisites:

1- Windows 8.1 RTM ISO image. (Available on the internet)

2- Windows 8 Pro license key. (Yes, It works with 8.1 also)

3- Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool

4- Lenovo Yoga 13 Windows 8 Drivers

5- USB Stick or HDD with at least 4GB space. (Note: All data on disk will be erased)

Steps:

1- Important: Take a full backup of HDD.

2- Plugin the USB disk then open Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool.

3- Point to WIN8.1 ISO image path and wait for the wizard to finish.

4- After the wizard completes succefully, keep the USB stick plugged in and then restart the device in UEFI mode.

(Image: icon_Windows8_key.png + C -> Settings -> General -> Advanced -> Restart now -> Use a device -> USB UEFI Device).

5- It shall boot from the USB device and begin Windows setup wizard.

6- Specify the preferred language and enter the license key and choose advanced installation.

7- In disk allocation wizard, delete partitions with the following labels: LENOVO, WINRE_DRV, SYSTEM_DRV

(Warning: Don't erase partition labeled PBR_DRV as this will erase the Lenovo recovery drive).

8- Select the resulted unallocated space (should be around 106 GB) and click next.

9- Now wait until Windows completes installation.

10- Customize Windows, install Windows drivers downloaded earlier and restore your backup.

11- Voila, shall you encounter any problems don't hesitate to ask me.

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

Jogibaer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65,993
Message 2 of 24

Betreff: [Guide] Windows 8.1 PRO RTM clean install on Yoga 13 from a USB Stick

Hi, thank you for the instructions, but I already deleted ALL partitions. Smiley Embarassed

Well, I was already going your way before I discovered this, but without the "keep the USB Stick plugged in" because I used my Desktop PC to create the bootable USB stick.

Now I am having the problem in installing Windows 8.1 with UEFI only. I can't boot from USB stick with UEFI, formatted with FAT32 and used the Windows USB Tool to create the media exactly like your instructions in this case.

What can I do? Smiley SurprisedSmiley Sad

I also tried installing from a second partition but the Windows setup says that there is a MBR-partition table so I am not able to install Windows on that drive. On the other hand Acronis Disk Director isn't able to format the SSD to GPT......that's a real dilemma.....I am at the end of my knowledge. Can somebody help me? Smiley Embarassed

Jogibaer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65,981
Message 3 of 24

Forget it Smiley Very Happy I just fixed the problem.

Disk Director has a function to change the partition type, not the file system. So I found an entry called EFI and thought I could try this.

Full UEFI Mode in BIOS enabled-> USB stick detected, woohoooooooooooooo. Smiley Very Happy I am installing Windows 8.1 right now. Smiley Happy

crazydiamond
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 65,953
Message 4 of 24

Sorry, forgot to mention that in order to boot from UEFI the flash drive must be formatted as FAT32. Windows USB and DVD tool supports only NTFS, So after creating the bootable image, copy all the files from the flash drive to the HDD then format the flash drive as FAT32 then copy the files back from the HDD to the flash drive. The flash drive will still be bootable.

Jogibaer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65,791
Message 5 of 24

Not your fault, I tried it that way before too but it didn't work either. Like I said, it worked the first time after changing the partition type FAT32 with Windows on it, to EFI via Disk Director. After this I could boot from my USB Stick (ADATA 32GB). Strange BIOS.... Smiley Frustrated

Anyway: Windows 8.1 works great, except the Auto Rotation and the brightness function.

fredriknotse
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 65,737
Message 6 of 24

Why do a lot of preparations for a clean install when you can just upgrade and keep all settings and programs?

1. Download the 8.1 PRO RTM ISO file.

2. Double click it so it auto-mounts in Windows file explorer.

3. Run setup and upgrade with "keep settings and programs". Use a generic key, Google it.

4. When finished activate again with your current Windows 8 pro key.

Worked like a charm. Rotation and disabling of keyboard while folding back works fine. Had to re-install touchpad drivers though since it took latest Synaptics from the web which is non-compatible and freezes the computer for seconds at the time.

Jogibaer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 65,721
Message 7 of 24

Because I want a clean system without software rests. On the other hand, I could not uninstall Bitdefender antivirus although I used their uninstall tool.

Anyway, I don't like most of the programs which are already installed after the purchase, so I prefer to kill the whole drive. Smiley Wink

aleks3008
Blue Screen Again
Views: 62,753
Message 8 of 24

Re: [Guide] Windows 8.1 PRO RTM clean install on Yoga 13 from a USB Stick

Hi, I have Yoga 13 (i7, 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) with Windows 8 preinstalled. Few days a go my whole SSD was accidentally formatted after messing with Android for PC file (android-4.2.2_r1-ia3). Now there`s no partitions SSD, neither Recovery hidden partitions!!! I have`t done Recovery System Image on DVD or USB flash. All I have is some en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso from internet, but this Windows 8 installation already have license key (something like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-and five more characters) which is wrong, and now I CANNOT ACTIVATE MY WINDOWS 8 because I don't now right LICENSE KEY which is in UEFI.

PLEASE, WHAT CAN I DO NOW? HOW TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS 8 WITH UEFI?

I can uninstall this wrong Windows 8 key, but after that nothing`s happened. Also, I can update to Windows 8.1 through Store, but the same situations is.

Thanks

crazydiamond
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 62,686
Message 9 of 24

Make sure of two things:

1- You're booting in UEFI mode.

2- You're installing Windows 8 standard as the UEFI stored key is for standard edition only.

Then Windows shouldn't ask for a key and will activate automatically.

Regards,

Samin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 60,470
Message 10 of 24

I was planning to have a clean install in my Yoga 13 and I have tried almost 20times but still I am keep getting this error ! I don't know what should I do! have someone faced this problem? 

2014-01-10 03.jpg

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors