Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Huli
Punch Card
Views: 51,223
Message 1 of 14

Handwriting with the Yoga 2 Pro

Greetings all!

I am looking into using my Yoga 2 Pro as a notepad in the field with MS One Note.  I looked through the forums to see if anyone has reported back any thing like this and really didn't find the info I was looking for.

Firstly, the stylus.  I dont want to draw with a crayon.  Wacom has stated via tech support email that their "Bamboo Feel" stylus will work for the Lenovo ThinkPad 2, anyone try it on the Yoga Pro 2?  If not, what have you tried that you liked? (dont really need a list of bad styluses)

Second, for thoes of you who have written on your yoga.  How do you deal with "palm rejection"  or resting your hand on the screen?  Wacom seemed to indicate there were ways around this problem.

Thirdly,  One Note.  It seems like it will do the trick.  Anyone else use it or have somthing better that they really like?

Thank you all in advance for any feedback.  I hope to be scribbling away soon.  With the lack of stores in my area I have to mail order everything.  So making a bad purchase takes a while to rectify.

Cheers!Smiley Happy

indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 51,180
Message 2 of 14

Re: Handwriting with the Yoga 2 Pro

Stylus: http://www.amazon.com/DAGI-Capacitive-Motorola-BlackBerry-PlayBook/dp/B005O2YQFY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electr...

I place a microfiber cloth on the screen/under my palm, to avoid palm detection (and to clean the screen as I write Smiley Tongue).

The ThinkPad has a digitizer, the ideapad version is touch capacitive. So, I would not get the above stylus. But in all honesty, I did not even google the aforementioned stylus.

I use OneNote all the time. I am a medical student and type my notes with the occasional histological drawings and graphs. I cannot imagine anything to be better than OneNote. I live off OneNote. Frankly, it is the only thing that is keeping me away from Apple computers.

Huli
Punch Card
Views: 51,146
Message 3 of 14

Great idea with the cloth!
One Note is also my favotie by far.
Thank you for the link, I put that stylus on my wishlist right next to the bamboo.

I do not understand the screen types and how they interact with the stylus. I guess the next step is to verify the screen type on the Y2P and purchase the appropriate accessory. Going to start digging in the knowledge base and tech references.

Anyone know this off hand?
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 51,136
Message 4 of 14

The ThinkPad has a digitizer. Loosely speaking, this means that writing is pressure induced. The harder you press on the screen, the thicker the line will be. The beauty about this technology is that you avoid palm detection since there is palm rejection software for this hardware. This rejection is based on the idea that the pen will exert more pressure on the screen than your resting palm and that the pen will be finer than the blob occupying region of your palm.

The Ideapad is touch capacitive. This means that the static electricity from your skin in conducted to make the screen work. Problem with this technology is that there is no palm rejection since there is no pressure detection. However, touch capacitive is more sensitive for gestures and it is the same technology seen on iDevices, Windows Phones and Android devices.

In short, if you plan on writing a lot on the computer, the ThinkPad (although it has a lower resolution screen) might be ideal for you. If you plan on touching your screen a lot (like zooming in on picture, page scrolling and tablet like task) the Ideapad is for you.

I for one use the cloth to avoid palm detection and all is well in that department.

I do however have major gripes with this laptop. My biggest is the WIFI connectivity problem. Any laptop that cannot hold a stable WIFI connection in today’s day and age, is just unacceptable. Also, Lenovo’s response to the issue is piss-poor. Granted, others face the same issue with the Intel cards. However, companies like ASUS are offering free WIFI dongles to all customers willing to wait for a fix. Similarly, other companies have released BIOS updates to remove the WIFI blacklist/whitelist so people can change cards. Lenovo has ignored a 70+ page thread, until recently. Even then, when an employee addressed acknowledged the issue, all they did was ask for us to send a report to them. I for one got no feedback upon doing so (in spite of it being read the same day, according to the online system) …and ever since then, no updates have been provided by the employee. Personally, this and other issues have turned me off from Lenovo. Their customer service is the worst.

Huli
Punch Card
Views: 51,105
Message 5 of 14

I was able to chat with Lenovo tech support today.  They confirmed the capacitative screen and agreed that a stylus like the one reccomended above and use of a towel is the best option for the Y2P.

ysr89
Paper Tape
Views: 49,238
Message 6 of 14

So I am just starting med school and I want to be able to use One note with a touchscreen and I am therefore in the market for a new laptop. That being said, I am HIGHLY considering getting the Yoga Pro 2 because it seems like a great machine in the store. I wanted to ask you if you would recommend the product or not?? I am basically between a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and Yoga Pro 2. The Yoga pro has a bigger screen and better keyboard making it more desirable. However, if it is hard to use the Wifi (like if it really doesnt work half the time--which it seemed like was happening in the store) then I will probably suck up a small screen and go with the surface. What are your thoughts?? And I appreciate all input as dropping 1500$ before med school is not something I want to do without some decent research
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 49,228
Message 7 of 14

With the Y2P, you will spend more time trying to fix it than watching Pathoma, reading First Aid or even doing U-World Questions. This computer is a time waster!

1. It won't do what you need since it lacks a digitizer. Yes, you can use a CT stylus but, for the most part, they all suck.

2. You will soon learn that FA is the book of things to know and class notes are BS.

3. Your Internet might constantly disconnect, as evident by this 950 comments thread found here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Re-Yoga-2-Pro-Wifi-Problems/td-p/1452437/...

Best save your time and $. As it is, 20k+ a sem is a big investment.  Don't make it 21.5k+ on a computer like this

ysr89
Paper Tape
Views: 49,212
Message 8 of 14

whelp, that solves it for me...Guess i will be getting the surface pro 2
indest
Bit Torrent
Views: 49,207
Message 9 of 14

Good choice but, also read up on the surfaces.... some also have wifi issues.

Good luck with med school. You'll need it lol.

ysr89
Paper Tape
Views: 49,205
Message 10 of 14

Ya i've looked into surfaces and the issues seem more minor to me. And thanks, I am def gona need it!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors