cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bretonnia
Blue Screen Again
Views: 61,935
Message 1 of 18

Hard drive upgrade for Yoga 2 13 (model 20344)

I've looked at message boards with varying answers. Also, I'm not super tech savvy and can't afford (literally) to mess this up, so I came to the braintrust for a definitive answer.

I want to upgrade my hard drive space on my Yoga 2 13 (currently has 128 GB SSD and 8 GB memory)

1. I've read that there is an extra slot for another HD, is that true?
  2. If so, what type of slot is it?  M.2 or mSATA or what?
  3. How many GBs can I upgrade to?  I've read anywhere from 128 to 500+ are okay.
  4. Any brands and models that are known to work?

TIA to anyone who can help!

Guru
Views: 61,803
Message 2 of 18

Re: Hard drive upgrade for Yoga 2 13 (model 20344)

There's an HMM here:
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_yoga_2_13_hmm.pdf

It's a bit confusing as to which of the mSATA and M.2 are the WLAN and SSD slots.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/171352/Upgrade+Hard+drive+on+Lenovo+IdeaPad+Yoga+2+13+%28not+pro...

This seems to say the mSATA is for WLAN and the M.2 is for SSD.

Maybe open up your system and see which one is empty?

I think any size should work, as long as it's a standard connector.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Highlighted
Mischa213
802.11n
Views: 61,827
Message 3 of 18

@bretonnia wrote:

I've looked at message boards with varying answers. Also, I'm not super tech savvy and can't afford (literally) to mess this up, so I came to the braintrust for a definitive answer.

I want to upgrade my hard drive space on my Yoga 2 13 (currently has 128 GB SSD and 8 GB memory)

1. I've read that there is an extra slot for another HD, is that true?
  2. If so, what type of slot is it?  M.2 or mSATA or what?
  3. How many GBs can I upgrade to?  I've read anywhere from 128 to 500+ are okay.
  4. Any brands and models that are known to work?

TIA to anyone who can help!

1. The Yoga 2 13 has 2 slots: 1 m.2 (that is now used for your SSD) and another connector for a 2.5"  storage device.

For some models this is a normal SATA connector, but for most it is a very rare SFF-8784 connector that only connects to the 5mm WD HDD.

And for SSD models Lenovo does not include the special cable ...

2. Best option is to upgrade to a bigger m.2 SSD and clone your current drive.

Keep your old drive for the OKR image, so you can restore easily at any time.

On the new drive you can delete the OKR restore partition and free up 15 GB for data.

3 & 4. There are many topics on this; search for "SSD Yoga 2 13"

As the Yoga has a BIOS that does not accept all brands and types of SSD's you should opt for a type that was recommended in that Yoga 2 13 internals topic: Crucial M500 M550, most Samsungs ....

Link to image

LenovoYoga213 Wifi HDD SSD.jpg

Top: 2,5" storage device (5mm height WD HDD 500GB) with SFF-8784 connector (disconnected)

Below: WLAN (NGF M.2) and M.2 SSD on the right (22*80 Crucial M500 240GB)

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Freedom of Speech has just left the building
feffo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 61,549
Message 4 of 18

Hi verybody 

for the sake of everubody, as I read on this forum that crucial SSD m.2 drive is suggested for the yoga 2 13. 

as it was not possibiel to buy t in italy in this period I purchased a Transcend TS256GMTS800 256 SSD SATA III HardDisk

it seems it's working good

it's seen by macrium reflect. 

I still have to clone the 500 Gb disk as I need to remove some data from it 

(and wandering also what all the partitions macrium is seeing-- winreSmiley Very HappyRV etc..  whose summ of Gb Sapce seems larger thank the original 500 Gb :-o )

but thats should be easy and fast. 

I chechek with crucial and they say they don't have any sdd drive fitting the yoga 2 13, but several people on this forum tryed it and worked. 

and it was the only model i found on the forum. 

now this trascend is another option 

(de nada.. mr trascend Smiley Wink )

have a nice upgrade!

ciao

s

jig1056
What's DOS?
Views: 59,357
Message 5 of 18

Mischa213, 

Thanks a lot, the explanation in your post was extremely helpful. I moved over to the Mac about 7 or 8 years ago and on their machines you really don't have many choices when it comes to things like this. I've not kept up with all of the different type of connectors and protocols that exist and are available on the windows side. I had no idea what a M.2 SSD was and centrally had no consciousness of a SFF-8784 connector.

Adding the picture was priceless, even after getting some understand of a M.2 connector I’m not sure if I would have realized where it was in this machine. THANK YOU!!!!!!

I was actually bummed to find out that I couldn’t repurpose my existing 2.5 inch SATA SSD in this machine. After doing some more research my outlook on the matter has changed. I’m going to take a slightly different approach. I going to get the Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW). Clone the existing drive to this drive but then take a backup image that I will use to get back to my current state if I have some kind of system failure. I normally do this anyway, I install all of the app I want and setup the machine the way I like and take an image that I use as my own version of a system restore. Next I’m going to format the original 500 GB drive and use it for extended storage or as a backup drive on the laptop. Since this is not my main machine I don’t think I’m going to have a ton of photos and videos so the 250 GB SSD will mostly likely be enough storage for my data to day work.

I still have to do some more research to confirm that the  Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD (MZ-N5E250BW) will play nicely with my Yoga but I'm happy that I do have the option having two drives in this machine. I would have gotten the Crucial drive but it has been discontinued and no longer for sale on Newegg or Crucial.com.

The following videos helped me give me a better understanding of mSATA, M.2, and the different sizes and protocols.
https://youtu.be/Gx8fdVBs38E

https://youtu.be/JVMVjyBA7Q0

rtan
Paper Tape
Views: 53,235
Message 6 of 18

So I've noticed this thread has been inactive for quite sometimes but I hope I can get it active again...  I recently saw some good deals on the M.2 SSD drives so I though I may upgrade my Yoga.  Only to find out that most of the M.2 SSD drives in the market today have the two keys (notches), B-key and M-key.  Open up my Yoga, I only see one notch in the slot.  The M.2 SSD you guys mentions are all have 2 keys.  So, how does it fit in the Yoga?

kimsonvu
Paper Tape
Views: 48,871
Message 7 of 18

Hi,

I want to buy cable connector and metal caddy. Where do i puchse this from Lenovo? Image on my Google Drive: 

https://goo.gl/Dy8d2j

Thanks you!

iostrym
Paper Tape
Views: 48,076
Message 8 of 18

Hi,

I bought them on lenovo support website. for arround 30€ both including delivery :

https://www.medion.com/lenovoserviceshop/welcome?utm_source=shop_fr&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=i...

ref :

ZIVY0 HDD Bracket : PN : 90205123
ZIVY0 HDD Cable WD : PN : 90205124

But I don't understand for me with the lenovo yoga2 13 128 GO SSD, after connecting the new 500go harddrive, I don't see any new harddrive in bios, nor in Windows. Is there something more to do than connecting the HDD ?

rednred
Fanfold Paper
Views: 47,914
Message 9 of 18

Here's another option to consider.   Haven't read of anyone else doing this so thought I'd share ... 

Have the BB yoga 2 13 with 128 SSD (m.2) and wanted to utilize the HDD 'slot' populated with SSD.  

I first tried to figure out how to use a regular 2.5 SSD but never could figure out a reasonable way to convert that to the plug on the MB.  So, after much reading, shopping, etc. I found this adapter ... 

mSATA SSD as WD Blue UltraSlim SATA3 HDD WD5000MPCK SFF-8784  from seller microsatacables

and this cable ...

OEM Lenovo Yoga 2 13 20344 Laptop HDD Hard Drive Cable w/ Connector DC02001VK00 from seller buytabletpart

... both on ebay. 

Then found a 1TB samsung 850 evo msata drive on amazon for a price I couldn't refuse.  

I'm very happy to report that this combination is working together perfectly.  It's installed and I'm using the machine to post this.  For now the whole thing is floating' and it seems to snug enough to keep everything in place so am using it as is for now.  I might still get the cartridge for the hdd from lenovov so it can be anchored properly but for now it's good. 

So, for a minimal outlay I have a device with a ton of storage that is still easy on the battery, reasonably cool running and quite fast.  

kimsonvu
Paper Tape
Views: 47,885
Message 10 of 18

The solution from rednred is very nice. Could you share more result after you test the second SSD

(1TB samsung 850 evo msata drive) on the 

mSATA SSD as WD Blue UltraSlim SATA3 HDD WD5000MPCK SFF-8784  from seller microsatacables

with the Crystal Disk? I am sure the speed will be better than original Hybird HDD 500 GB from Western but i don't sure how speed will be good with original connector.

By the way, how much did you pay for Samsung 1TB SSD? I found it is more than 300 USD when i compare with 500GB Western Hybird HDD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors